Starting Problem

Rabcomm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 19.5 hp mower that stopped running, no spark. I changed the coil and it ran long enough to mow the lawn then stopped again. Now it tries to start but won't like it has a retarded timing, it won't quite hit. Pulled carb apart and diaphragm is good, valves are not stuck. Pulled mag to make sure keyway was good. I am at a loss. Any ideas? Thanks to anyone who can help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
diaphragm ?

Like to pop the model & type codes on the thread so we can work out what you have.

Mattynewmember

Forum Newbie
Threads
diaphragm ?

Like to pop the model & type codes on the thread so we can work out what you have.
Ill come back when i can get near to the mower. With c19 virous i cant get out to my dads place. Thanks anyway. What would make the solinoid click on and off, on and off ect. Any ideas would be helpful

Rabcomm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for getting back to me so soon, what I have is a Model #42E707. Type#2631 E3 and Code#0003065A.
This tractor was working fine until I parked it then it would not start. Found no spark so I replaced the coil and it started so I cut the lawn. It stalled after about 1/2 hour then I restarted it and returned back to the garage where it would not restart. I unplugged the kill wire, replaced the plugs (has spark) took the carburetor to inspect the fuel pump. Float bowl was full of fuel. Added fuel additive Heat to the tank (incase of water) .
When I crank the engine it sounds like it is almost running until I release the key.
Sorry, hope this is not tmi.
Thanks RAB

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like you have a hot shot or open in your kill wire, Mice may have chewed the wire? Will the unit start and stat running if you disconnect the kill wire?

Rabcomm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your support. I found the problem, I found the crankshaft key sheared with half staying in the crank and the other half in the flywheel. Never say one shear like that before. Did a little damage to both components but not enough to take it out. I picked up a standard key, cut it to size but before I tighten the flywheel down it rocks on the shaft as is the key was too thick so I ordered an OEM to see if that is true. I will let you know.
Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
when you install the key torque the flywheel to 145 ft-lbs.

Rabcomm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok thank you, I noticed that when I set the flywheel down without the key it sets flat but when I install the key it will rock no matter where I position it. (store bought) So I ordered some OEM keys and will try them.
Thanks for your help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the key slot on both parts for a burr on the edge
It must be removed or the taper can not lock.