Export thread

Starting a lawn care business

jakesteel22

jakesteel22

Ive been considering starting a lawn care business this spring. Any tips? What kind of equipment would be good to start off with? I know i can get customers. Yards would mostly be smaller in town. What should i charge per yard? I live in west Michigan.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

:welcome: Welcome to the forum!

When you say yards in town what size do you mean? The yards I do are around 0.25 acre, and I use self-propelled 21" mowers, but you get the efficiency when you use a wider mower like a wide area walk behind, stander, or zero-turn. As for tips, you want to have good, reliable equipment, but don't spend tons of money until you know you'll have the amount of customers to pay for it. Advertise a lot, including yard signs and flyers. You don't need to pay big bucks to get professional-looking marketing tools, and also utilize free things like Facebook. :thumbsup:

jakesteel22

jakesteel22

Yard are about .25 of an acre. Any mowers you would recommend?

jakesteel22

jakesteel22

There will also be some yards that are aroud an acre. My price range for a mower is about $1500 tops.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

That depends on the kind. You would probably need a push mower, and then what kind of larger mower?

metz12

metz12

start out with something on the lower priced side for push mowers. something with a briggs and stratton motor is your best bet. but i also like toro stuff, they like to use tecumeseh engines. i would try to find something used on craigslist, but thats my opinion. you can find good push mowers on there for 30-50bucks all day.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

There will also be some yards that are aroud an acre. My price range for a mower is about $1500 tops.

For $1500 you won't get much new. You would definitely want to look used.

jakesteel22

jakesteel22

Im not looking for top of the line equipment. Just something to get started. Would like to get a decent toro mower and a ride on or something. If i were to get both i can change my budget. Money is not really a problem, just dont want to spend more than im going to make.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Im not looking for top of the line equipment. Just something to get started. Would like to get a decent toro mower and a ride on or something. If i were to get both i can change my budget. Money is not really a problem, just dont want to spend more than im going to make.

Don't know what state you're in, but there can be some really good deals on Craigslist if you look. You can sometimes even get a commercial mower in your budget. :thumbsup:

jakesteel22

jakesteel22

Don't know what state you're in, but there can be some really good deals on Craigslist if you look. You can sometimes even get a commercial mower in your budget. :thumbsup:

Ill take a look. thanks!

exotion

exotion

For 1500 i would buy a Honda hrx for 800 echo weed eater 125 echo edger 125 and echo hand held blower 200 with a couple hundred left over for business cards and flyers

davbell22602

davbell22602

Vistaprint.com is the cheapest way to go in getting car magnets, business cards etc.

exotion

exotion

Vistaprint.com is the cheapest way to go in getting car magnets, business cards etc.

Definately I use the free business cards thing all the time I order magnets yard signs and my wifes business cards to

Ric

Ric

For the money your looking to spend your not going to get much in the way of any type of ride on mower and anything on craigslist ( Stander, ZTR ) in the 1500 range will most likely have a lot of hours. Using a push mower to do a quarter acre your not going to make a lot of money either when you consider the time involved to mow between 7000 - 11000 feet. Your best bet for a ride on if you want new would be a Cub Cadet LTX 1040 Lawn Tractor you can get that for around $1300 and even then you'd be looking to expand your budget to purchase a trailer, push mower and handheld equipment etc.
Depending on whether your serious about the business or not should determine how much money you need to drop. There are other considerations to the business beside equipment like a license, Insurance, advertising just to name a few. If your going to do it right your not going to show a profit for probably two years, It will take you that long to get out from under your start up cost.

exotion

exotion

For the money your looking to spend your not going to get much in the way of any type of ride on mower and anything on craigslist ( Stander, ZTR ) in the 1500 range will most likely have a lot of hours. Using a push mower to do a quarter acre your not going to make a lot of money either when you consider the time involved to mow between 7000 - 11000 feet. Your best bet for a ride on if you want new would be a Cub Cadet LTX 1040 Lawn Tractor you can get that for around $1300 and even then you'd be looking to expand your budget to purchase a trailer, push mower and handheld equipment etc.
Depending on whether your serious about the business or not should determine how much money you need to drop. There are other considerations to the business beside equipment like a license, Insurance, advertising just to name a few. If your going to do it right your not going to show a profit for probably two years, It will take you that long to get out from under your start up cost.

I disagree... I'm on my first full year ( second total last year I did it part time ) I'm showing profit... I was showing profit along time ago if you budget good and stick to your business plan ( don't have one? Write one now find suppliers estimate business expenses and home expenses make sure you know as much as possible) you can do just fine there is so much information out there this site is one of the sources use it. And don't listen to ric... He doesn't come down from his high horse very well

Ric

Ric

I disagree... I'm on my first full year ( second total last year I did it part time ) I'm showing profit... I was showing profit along time ago if you budget good and stick to your business plan ( don't have one? Write one now find suppliers estimate business expenses and home expenses make sure you know as much as possible) you can do just fine there is so much information out there this site is one of the sources use it. And don't listen to ric... He doesn't come down from his high horse very well

He can listen to who ever he wants and I really don't care if you disagree or not because I really don't consider someone like you to be or as a professional. I told him what it takes to get in the business the right way and be a professional about it, which professionalism is something you have always lacked and never understood.

exotion

exotion

He can listen to who ever he wants and I really don't care if you disagree or not because I really don't consider someone like you to be or as a professional. I told him what it takes to get in the business the right way and be a professional about it, which professionalism is something you have always lacked and never understood.

Yep that's how I mow 50 houses a week and 3 commercial properties.. lol your version of professional and mine are similar our views on this business are completely different maybe different areas of the country means different ways to run our business but here I see my self as sucessful and professional and it doesn't matter what you think because I keep my customers lol

I am saying someone could start up with 1500 of equipment and advertising no this does not include a truck or licences both of which will need to be taken care of. 1500 will get you your equipment, aggresive advertising and bidding will get you customers, and professionalism quality and reliability and experience will keep them. My biggest advise from someone who just started out is budget careful and keep stashing away as much savings as possible don't need to spring for top end equipment now save that for when you can afford a 1500 dollar lawnmower doesn't seem like a lot.

jakesteel22

jakesteel22

Yep that's how I mow 50 houses a week and 3 commercial properties.. lol your version of professional and mine are similar our views on this business are completely different maybe different areas of the country means different ways to run our business but here I see my self as sucessful and professional and it doesn't matter what you think because I keep my customers lol

I am saying someone could start up with 1500 of equipment and advertising no this does not include a truck or licences both of which will need to be taken care of. 1500 will get you your equipment, aggresive advertising and bidding will get you customers, and professionalism quality and reliability and experience will keep them. My biggest advise from someone who just started out is budget careful and keep stashing away as much savings as possible don't need to spring for top end equipment now save that for when you can afford a 1500 dollar lawnmower doesn't seem like a lot.

Thanks a lot. Your tips are definitly useful!

jakesteel22

jakesteel22

I already have most of the equipment (2 different trailers, weed eater, small backpack blower) Just looking to get whatever kind of mower i will need to get the job done.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

For 1500 i would buy a Honda hrx for 800 echo weed eater 125 echo edger 125 and echo hand held blower 200 with a couple hundred left over for business cards and flyers

That is the equipment I would choose also (since it's what I use), but he says he may do 1 acre lawns, so he'll need some type of rider, or start off with smaller yards.

Ric

Ric

I already have most of the equipment (2 different trailers, weed eater, small backpack blower) Just looking to get whatever kind of mower i will need to get the job done.

From the way you started the thread it sounded like you didn't have any equipment and personally I think as I mentioned before, for the money the Cub Cadet LTX 1040 in a 42" cut is in the price range you quoted. You can check with Carscw here on the forum about the 1040, it's what he uses in his business and he drives the crap out of the thing. The thing about using a residential unit in business vs a commercial unit is it's up keep it's a continual maintenance machine.

Ric

Ric

Yep that's how I mow 50 houses a week and 3 commercial properties.. lol your version of professional and mine are similar our views on this business are completely different maybe different areas of the country means different ways to run our business but here I see my self as successful and professional and it doesn't matter what you think because I keep my customers lol

I am saying someone could start up with 1500 of equipment and advertising no this does not include a truck or licenses both of which will need to be taken care of. 1500 will get you your equipment, aggressive advertising and bidding will get you customers, and professionalism quality and reliability and experience will keep them. My biggest advise from someone who just started out is budget careful and keep stashing away as much savings as possible don't need to spring for top end equipment now save that for when you can afford a 1500 dollar lawnmower doesn't seem like a lot.

Mowing 50 houses a week doesn't make you a professional. Professionalism is conduct, good judgment, and polite behavior that is expected from a person who is trained or hired to do a job or for that fact anywhere he presents himself and you clearly don't show it here imo. Now I know you like to push my buttons and try to get me going with your rude comments towards me and it just shows your lack of professionalism imo.

I agree anyone can start a business with a minimal investment, sure that's a given but the problem is the greatest majority of those types of business end up going belly up in a short time because they can't compete with the professional across the street with 40 or 50k in equipment that can do a better job in less time for the same price as the start up business has to charge.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

Some very interestinh info on here! Even a little fight...
As for equipment, maybe you could get something like a 36"walk behind used on craiglist. The Toro Proline 36" is very popular and does a good job. I don't think you will be able to get anything fancy for 1500$, but it will get you started. Spend the less possible on useless stuff. Concentrate on buying equipment that will get your jobs done faster. The faster you go, the more clients you can get = $$$. Get yourself a budget also. Many people in America donnot have a budget. Even for there familly and that can cause many problems. Now, with a budget, you can control the inflow and outflow of your cash.

As for charging, it is your prices! Dont just phone other companies and ask them their prices and lower yours! You can surely phone to make sure your prices are not way out tho. To defend your price, you must stand out giving outstanding service with good equipment. You want to be looking on the job and show your clients you do this with pride and professionalism. Get some t-shorts also with your campany name!

Dont let the other companies discourage you! Also, get an accounting system to enter all expenses, and invoices. This can give you an idea on your profit margin.

Once you get real busy, maybe you could think about a helping pair of hands! It goes much faster and you are less exhausted at the end of the day.

Carscw

Carscw

Lots of good advice and some not so good. It's up to you to sort it out. As you notice not all of us do things the same way.

Your maintenance and repair skills play a big part in if you buy new or used.
The thing with buying used is you have to know what you are looking at.

If I was you I would look at a 38 or 42 walk behind.
If you want a new riding mower in the $1500 range I say the ltx 1040 I have beat on my like a red headed step child. But I am very obsessed with doing maintenance.

My feelings are that you need to up your budget and a commercial mower

jakesteel22

jakesteel22

Lots of good advice and some not so good. It's up to you to sort it out. As you notice not all of us do things the same way.

Your maintenance and repair skills play a big part in if you buy new or used.
The thing with buying used is you have to know what you are looking at.

If I was you I would look at a 38 or 42 walk behind.
If you want a new riding mower in the $1500 range I say the ltx 1040 I have beat on my like a red headed step child. But I am very obsessed with doing maintenance.

My feelings are that you need to up your budget and a commercial mower

thanks a lot! Im going to keep my eye out for some equipment on criagslist or something.

jakesteel22

jakesteel22

Some very interestinh info on here! Even a little fight...
As for equipment, maybe you could get something like a 36"walk behind used on craiglist. The Toro Proline 36" is very popular and does a good job. I don't think you will be able to get anything fancy for 1500$, but it will get you started. Spend the less possible on useless stuff. Concentrate on buying equipment that will get your jobs done faster. The faster you go, the more clients you can get = $$$. Get yourself a budget also. Many people in America donnot have a budget. Even for there familly and that can cause many problems. Now, with a budget, you can control the inflow and outflow of your cash.

As for charging, it is your prices! Dont just phone other companies and ask them their prices and lower yours! You can surely phone to make sure your prices are not way out tho. To defend your price, you must stand out giving outstanding service with good equipment. You want to be looking on the job and show your clients you do this with pride and professionalism. Get some t-shorts also with your campany name!

Dont let the other companies discourage you! Also, get an accounting system to enter all expenses, and invoices. This can give you an idea on your profit margin.

Once you get real busy, maybe you could think about a helping pair of hands! It goes much faster and you are less exhausted at the end of the day.

thanks a lot! very useful tips!

Fish

Fish

I started a mowing business in the early 1980's, the same advice should apply here...

Of course back then, zero-turn models were very new and exclusive/expensive. So I started with a 36" Bunton Walk-Behind and a Shindaiwa t-25 trimmer, both top choices...

If I could do it over again it would have been the advertising areas/customer base......

I paid a bunch for a company to print up some fliers back then, no computers/printers back then, I had to hang the fliers on the doors as well.

But it pretty much boiled down to "WHERE" I hung the fliers, I hung them in "rich" neighborhoods as well as some old neighborhoods, and if I had it to do over......

RICH NEIGHBORHOODS!!!!!!!

I spent more time quibbling with old grandmas that grew up during the depression, then I did working on their lawns, and if I did, they wanted to argue about it...

Sad but true......

wjjones

wjjones

Thats how I started out is with a $800 Craftsman lawn tractor, and kinda bought stuff as I went along that way the business pays for new better equipment as you go.

F

fatboy

I started with a Troy-Bilt mower with Honda power the chassis will wear out before the engine does. I had an electric blower (a hundred foot cord) and a cheap weed whacker I bought off Craigslist for my own yard. Customers can be found advertising on craigslist.

Recently I have taken to making my own signs print your name number and logo on heavy cardstock, add two blank sheets of cardstock to make it sturdy. I use clear packaging tape to "laminate" the signs then staple them to a stake and post them at exits from subdivisions.

Good Luck

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I started with a Troy-Bilt mower with Honda power the chassis will wear out before the engine does. I had an electric blower (a hundred foot cord) and a cheap weed whacker I bought off Craigslist for my own yard. Customers can be found advertising on craigslist.

Recently I have taken to making my own signs print your name number and logo on heavy cardstock, add two blank sheets of cardstock to make it sturdy. I use clear packaging tape to "laminate" the signs then staple them to a stake and post them at exits from subdivisions.

Good Luck

I used to use the same concept for my yard sign. Packaging tape so it could stay outside. Just remember to start taping from the bottom so it's like shingles on a roof. But now that I had them done professionally (but for like $60:confused2:) I won't go back. But for small signs on a stake it's a great idea. :thumbsup:

LawnBoy97

LawnBoy97

I used to use the same concept for my yard sign. Packaging tape so it could stay outside. Just remember to start taping from the bottom so it's like shingles on a roof. But now that I had them done professionally (but for like $60:confused2:) I won't go back. But for small signs on a stake it's a great idea. :thumbsup:

Me and my partner had two signs made by Vistaprint, but I'm too afraid that they'll get stolen to put them anywhere other than my front yard. We might have to try putting them somewhere else to get more customers, though.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Me and my partner had two signs made by Vistaprint, but I'm too afraid that they'll get stolen to put them anywhere other than my front yard. We might have to try putting them somewhere else to get more customers, though.

Yeah a local place made mine, and I just keep it in my yard, also. I might put it on my trailer gate this year for advertising when at jobs.

jekjr

jekjr

I have not run into anybody on here that utilizes Facebook but that is almost solely where I advertise. We live on a rural area in South West Alabama. I started up in August 2012. At the end of the season I was cutting 38 yards. Some of them several acres. Almost all of the work we got was either from Facebook or a recommendation from a customer we already had that we got from Facebook. For our area we got a pretty good bit of work that way.

Ric

Ric

Yeah a local place made mine, and I just keep it in my yard, also. I might put it on my trailer gate this year for advertising when at jobs.

If you want something for your vehicle or trailer you can get those magnetic signs, 14"x 24" for like 60$ they work well for advertising.

Mid TN Lawn

Mid TN Lawn

Do not use magnetic signs it sends message you are not serious or full time letter your truck and trailer or vehicle wrap.

Parkmower

Parkmower

Do not use magnetic signs it sends message you are not serious or full time letter your truck and trailer or vehicle wrap.

Yes but certain towns like mine have ordinances against having commercial vehicles in yr driveway. If your work truck doubles as yr personal vehicle or you don't have a place to store a work truck the magnetic signs allow you take off yr business logos and park in yr driveway.

Carscw

Carscw

Yes but certain towns like mine have ordinances against having commercial vehicles in yr driveway. If your work truck doubles as yr personal vehicle or you don't have a place to store a work truck the magnetic signs allow you take off yr business logos and park in yr driveway.

So you pay for your house and land and someone tells you you can not park your work truck in your own driveway?

exotion

exotion

So you pay for your house and land and someone tells you you can not park your work truck in your own driveway?

Surburbia lol

Ric

Ric

I've used magnetic signs for years and I really don't know where you get the idea it sends a message that your not serious, that just doesn't make sense. The only thing it may show is you may be a little cheaper than the guy with a pretty painted truck full of advertisements he has to pay for.

I have to remove magnetic signs for just that reason, I can't have a commercial vehicle or Recreational Vehicle parked in my drive. They also have ordinances about parking on streets in one spot for over 30 minutes at a time. I can't have a utility shed or have a trailer or car parked on my lawn either.

Parkmower

Parkmower

Correct. They cannot be parked in front. It doesn't affect me as I do not take work trucks home. Although there are rural sections of the town where it's prob not a big deal, I live in a developed area. And don't know if anyone's ever been ticketed.

G

GT182

Try not got get lawn jobs over 5 or 6 miles away from home if you can. Gas will eat you alive. Unles.... you have at a good numbet that you can do in one day, and not have to go back the next day to finish them up. I had 2 jobs about 12 miles from the house and it was a PITA that cost a lot in gas just to get there. Only 40 bucks a pop. The 3rd job was even lower and after two mowings I told the cheapskate I was done... get someone else or put your lazy kids to work mowing your lawn. My minimum for a .25 acre lawn is 50 bucks.... mowed and trimmed like I'd do my own yard. Edging is more depending on how much needs to be done.

For equipment, get everything that will run on straight gas. No mixing of 2 cycle oil in a can for a special piece like a trimmer or blower. Get a 4 cycle trimmer like Craftsman has, and attachments. Trimmer, blower, and edger should hold you over for just about any job you get.

If you buy a lawn tractor to mow with, also get a snowblower if you live where you get significant snowfall. People would rather have someone come in and use a snowblower to clean their driveway than a snowplow. Snowplows will chew up lawns and most do not like that at all. That's how I get my jobs cleaning driveways in the winter. In my neighborhood I can make 300.00 or more in one day if we get 6"s of snow or more, using my 50" snowblower on my G2000 Kubota.

M

mac

Unlike GT182, I use both self-propelled walk behind, and riders, depending on the size of the lawn. If you mow on hilly property, you'll probably want a 2-stroke mower, as they are not affected by running them across the side of a hill, 4-cycle mowers are subject to engine failure, unless you get one that has an oil filter (Pressured oil system). Yes, they do sell them, but they are expensive. A used Lawn Boy or a Toro with the 2-stroke engine are two good examples. I have a Lawn Boy. As for a rider, you might want to start out with something with between a 30" and 38" deck. The reason I say this is because you will want to use it as much as you can to save time. Your trimmer and blower should be 2-stroke due to the weight. Most of the equipment produced today is 50to1 mix ratio, so you only need 2 gas cans, 1 for your rider, and one for everything else. I've been in the lawn service business for 6 years now, and this is what I use. Of course, I have several more riders, but what I've mentioned above will get you started. If you buy your equipment either used, or refurbished Attwoods, Northern Tool, and Tractor Supply all carry refurbished equipment i.e. Trimmers and Blowers. should be able to be purchased for what you want to spend. If you're going to buy a trailer, don't buy a little one unless you have no intention of ever buying any large riders. My trailer is a 77" x 10'. I spent more on my trailer than all of my other equipment combined, but I've never had to replace it either. Hope this helps.

Mid TN Lawn

Mid TN Lawn

I ask have you ever seen one single large company use magnets. Same thing goes for truck color 99percent of all companies use white trucks sends message of dedicated professional. White is all we have ever bought. To become a large successful company you must do and act basically as they do.

exotion

exotion

I ask have you ever seen one single large company use magnets. Same thing goes for truck color 99percent of all companies use white trucks sends message of dedicated professional. White is all we have ever bought. To become a large successful company you must do and act basically as they do.

Maybe you can conform to them... Maybe you don't have to have any individuality you can do just fine as long as you know how to market and how to price ya the big companys all use the same 3 mowers and the same white truck with green logo and letters on the door but hey that's them not you

C

CZLawnCare

I do not agree that the color of your truck means anything, i used to have the typical white and green scheme as mentioned above but i decided to paint it 2 months ago, my truck is now grey and has no logos but that doesnt make me any less of a proffessional, at the end of the day its still pulling the same 16 foot landscape trailer with pro equipment and the truck is still full of the same crew that gives proffessional service

Attachments

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

That colour thing is based on what? Do you have real proof that a white truck gives you more clients? I am pretty sure you simply did this by observation. Observation is not that good to found a theory. You know what, my truck is red and everyone is fine with it! It stands out with my green and black logo with my commercial grade equipment. I mow like a pro and I serve my clients correctly and with a smile.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I do not agree that the color of your truck means anything, i used to have the typical white and green scheme as mentioned above but i decided to paint it 2 months ago, my truck is now grey and has no logos but that doesnt make me any less of a proffessional, at the end of the day its still pulling the same 16 foot landscape trailer with pro equipment and the truck is still full of the same crew that gives proffessional service

That colour thing is based on what? Do you have real proof that a white truck gives you more clients? I am pretty sure you simply did this by observation. Observation is not that good to found a theory. You know what, my truck is red and everyone is fine with it! It stands out with my green and black logo with my commercial grade equipment. I mow like a pro and I serve my clients correctly and with a smile.

Nicely said!

S

ss69

The 21" Honda self propelled mower is hard to beat. Some other brands have Honda engines, but the ones made completely by Honda are the best ones. Will always crank on the first pull. Used ones are easy enough to find at pawn shops, flea markets and yard sales. For your trimmer needs, I like the Husqvarna light weight commercial. It was always the one chosen off the rack by my trimmer guys. Also, it was difficult to get my guys to use an edger, because they could edge with a trimmer just as good, but occasionally (twice 15yrs) we had to replace a window. Your should use a trimmer type edger, because it has the rubber guard and is less bulky than the wheeled version. You need to study up on how to grow grass on hard to grow areas and when weed control and fertilizer should be applied. The best advertising you can do is put your sign in front of a beautifully manicured, stripped lawn with the sidewalks and curbsides edged to perfection. If you cut a lawn often enough, you can double blade mulch and not have to bag. Best of luck to you.

S

ss69

I would like to add to my previous post. Most of the equipment I purchased had a tag advising me to not use regular gas, because of the ethanol in it. They may even void the warranty if tests determine that you used anything except the highest grade of gas. If you have enough larger yards to mow, it would be advisable to get a zero turn with a commercial deck for a smoother cut. I do, however have a Poulan rider with 26hp & 54" deck that mows one beautiful yard. It has 5 wheels on the light deck and the deck rides the contour of the ground (good on uneven yards). The drawback is that it takes more time to turn this type of mower. You will at least double your cutting time with a rider, vs a zero turn. However, a rider, because they're cheap, may fit your needs until you get enough yards to justify the purchase of a zt.

Ric

Ric

The reason that 99% of all companies use white trucks is because there fleet trucks and the cheapest you can buy, they have no carpeting, a plain radio and air. Company's and highway departments and such buy them 6 to 12 at a time, using white trucks doesn't send any message that's just weird.

T

The Lawn Father

I am starting a lawn business as well. Where do you find good employees? Is there anywhere that you can buy lower priced mowers? How do you get into landscaping. I started a website to advertise Thelawnfather.com

exotion

exotion

You can't find good employees. The good ones leave you... And they should :) Craigslist and local classifieds

Ric

Ric

I am starting a lawn business as well. Where do you find good employees? Is there anywhere that you can buy lower priced mowers? How do you get into landscaping. I started a website to advertise Thelawnfather.com

You can find employees or guys all day long that think they know the business only to find out at the end of the day they know nothing about the equipment there trying to run or anything about lawn care. Really good employees are hard too find. A good man on a trimmer, edger and using a blower and doing detail work can make or break a business.

Mike88se

Mike88se

You can find employees or guys all day long that think they know the business only to find out at the end of the day they know nothing about the equipment there trying to run or anything about lawn care. Really good employees are hard too find. A good man on a trimmer, edger and using a blower and doing detail work can make or break a business.
Lets try something else. Suppose you hired a new guy. The guy knows nothing about lawn care except what he learned cutting the grass at home as a kid but he's a good worker. How do you teach him... what do you teach him?

Ric

Ric

Lets try something else. Suppose you hired a new guy. The guy knows nothing about lawn care except what he learned cutting the grass at home as a kid but he's a good worker. How do you teach him... what do you teach him?

One case scenario is if the guy new nothing about lawn-care I probably wouldn't hire him even with a good work ethic and the reason is he doesn't want to be there because as you and I know someone who's swinging a trimmer or using an edger isn't making any money, they can't support a family on what they would be making and chances are there not going to be happy after they find out how much work it really is and there not going to stay long. The real money is having your own business.

Now if the individual is good, wants to work with me to know what equipment and mowers I use to do the job and demo the stuff and wants to work with me to learn how I approach the job in the field I don't have a problem with that. As far as teaching goes, that's something you really can't do, you can only offer opinions on how to do the job and what works for you, every business out there will do things differently. What your wanting to know I just did with an individual who wanted to start there own business. I worked with the guy for a month and a half, let him use the stander, ztr every piece of equipment we own, the guy is good and will do well. He went down to the dealer and spent 14K on a GS and all the equipment to do the job and he is on his own now and has a number of clients. The thing is you can't teach lawn-care, it's a passion and if you don't have that passion stay at home.

L

LoCo86

I had a guy who worked with me for a while who when I hired him knew very little about lawn care and how to use equipment properly and efficiently, but had a great work ethic and would do anything I asked. To me this was great. I could teach him how I wanted things done and he didn't have any bad habits or muscle memory form his own experiences with the equipment. It only took about two weeks to where I didn't have to go behind him and check to see if he did everything correctly. He was also the the type of guy who didn't want to be a boss or had any ambition of starting his own lawn care service because he already had a full time job. He turned out to be the best helper I ever had.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

You could find students. They are willing to work for some money and can learn.

My partner who helps me a few days a week is very good. He is the not the fastest, but he is really good at making nice straight lines and trimming too. He also knows about grass a bit and he likes the work. I am happy with that.

When he had to go back to school, I needed someone else to help me out for another month. I was desperate and asked the step brother if he could help me. I put him on the mower thinking he could be good at it, because trimming is a little harder (don't want to scalp the lawn). He was not good on the mower, because he never really used one. So, I put him on the trimmer and I had never, in my whole life, seen someone trim like that! He was incredible and I forgot that he lived on a 4 acre lot with 2 acres of grass and trees. He would help his dad trim around the trees. I parked him on that trimmer all night every week and my trimmer had one hell of a workout! So, you can find people that can learn to cut. Learning is something anyone can do in life. It just takes a little time.

Mike88se

Mike88se

Yeah I guess my real question was what can you teach. Not talking about care of equipment really or speed... more like technique. Almost anybody can do a decent job edging, trimming, cutting grass... but to do it right and make a lawn look great and keep it healthy and thriving for a good paying customer is different.

Ric

Ric

Yeah I guess my real question was what can you teach. Not talking about care of equipment really or speed... more like technique. Almost anybody can do a decent job edging, trimming, cutting grass... but to do it right and make a lawn look great and keep it healthy and thriving for a good paying customer is different.

You're correct when you say anyone can do Lawn-care but not everyone can do it right. You're also correct in the fact that people can be train to do lawn-care but not many can make enough money to support a family when working for someone else and they don't last long. As far as technique goes everyone is going to be different. If you want to teach anything teach Efficiency, it is key. I think the real education has to come in knowing how to use the equipment efficiently. Knowing that, knowing where to start and know what direction to go with hand held equipment can save a lot of time and product/money for a business. You would be surprised at how many people I see use a trimmer backwards, it's unreal.

The biggest problem I see with most lawn company's and the people they have working for them is time wasted, retracing there steps and making a job that should have taken twenty minutes end up taking thirty to forty finish and all the time that's put on equipment running that's not necessary.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

You're correct when you say anyone can do Lawn-care but not everyone can do it right. You're also correct in the fact that people can be train to do lawn-care but not many can make enough money to support a family when working for someone else and they don't last long. As far as technique goes everyone is going to be different. If you want to teach anything teach Efficiency, it is key. I think the real education has to come in knowing how to use the equipment efficiently. Knowing that, knowing where to start and know what direction to go with hand held equipment can save a lot of time and product/money for a business. You would be surprised at how many people I see use a trimmer backwards, it's unreal.

The biggest problem I see with most lawn company's and the people they have working for them is time wasted, retracing there steps and making a job that should have taken twenty minutes end up taking thirty to forty finish and all the time that's put on equipment running that's not necessary.

I didn't know there was a way for trimming. Well, kinda, but I usually walk forward with it, but I also sometimes walk backwards with it.

Other thing with Lawn company's is that some buy stuff they just don't need and end up with big overhead. I buy what I need. I have one of everything as of now of commercial grade. This year I plan to get a secondary trimmer for back up and maybe a bigger mower or walk-behind. Some just go all out and buy two trimmers, blowers, edgers, mowers and they are alone or with one guy. I explain to my employee that once the person with the mower is done, this person packs up everything in my truck and starts passing the blower if I am not done trimming or mowing. Once this person is done, she waits for the other in the truck, ready to go for the next job. A minute saved here and another there can add up after a long day of work.

Mike88se

Mike88se

That's kind of what I'm talking about. See I really have doubts about whether I'm doing things right. I mean... the efficiency and timing come or they don't. I probably waste a lot of motion and time but I'll either get that squared away or suffer the consequences. I'm more concerned about how I do the work and if there's something I could do better. Just things that I may not know about that make a difference in the quality of my work.
I didn't know there was a way for trimming. Well, kinda, but I usually walk forward with it, but I also sometimes walk backwards with it.

Other thing with Lawn company's is that some buy stuff they just don't need and end up with big overhead. I buy what I need. I have one of everything as of now of commercial grade. This year I plan to get a secondary trimmer for back up and maybe a bigger mower or walk-behind. Some just go all out and buy two trimmers, blowers, edgers, mowers and they are alone or with one guy. I explain to my employee that once the person with the mower is done, this person packs up everything in my truck and starts passing the blower if I am not done trimming or mowing. Once this person is done, she waits for the other in the truck, ready to go for the next job. A minute saved here and another there can add up after a long day of work.
That makes sense. It sux to go out to do a job and have problems with your tools. I work alone so if a problem comes up I'm the only one thats going to be idled and I'll be the one repairing whatever machine isn't working. It would be good to have one of those combo tools in my situation. Trimmer w/ attachments.

Carscw

Carscw

Ric is right every one has their way of doing things.

I have been doing this for many years and have found out what works for one does not work for all.

When I trim around the house or a fence I walk backwards. It is the fastest way for me. My wife walks forward.

I edge the drive way before I mow. Most guys edge after they mow.

I do all my trimming before I mow that way I can mulch the clippings.

You have to find what is fastest for you without sacrificing quality. When it comes right down to it quality comes before speed

Ric

Ric

That's kind of what I'm talking about. See I really have doubts about whether I'm doing things right. I mean... the efficiency and timing come or they don't. I probably waste a lot of motion and time but I'll either get that squared away or suffer the consequences. I'm more concerned about how I do the work and if there's something I could do better. Just things that I may not know about that make a difference in the quality of my work.

Efficiency and timing come with doing things right, speed has very little to do with it. You can always do better. There are a lot of people who don't believe in backup equipment, at least two of everything can save you down time and possibly clients. Want to save yourself a little time? One way is to throw away that fantastic speed feed head people are so fond of, it's to slow. I make sure my trimmers FS 90 and FS110 all run the same head and I carry two C 25-2 inserts/line spool with line ready to go, takes about a minute to insert one and I'm back trimming not standing at the trailer wasting time winding a stupid spool. It's faster than a speed feed head and a lot cheaper.
You say you probably waste a lot of motion and time. Want to save that time and motion? Well I hate to say this but chalk one up for Carscw. When you go to your next job and start your trimming go stand in the driveway and look at the house and go to your LEFT young man. Start trimming to your left side of the yard and house as your looking at it from the drive, walk backwards with your trimmer, always left as Carscw said and why, because your moving with the rotation of the trimmer head your trimmer will cut better, faster and use less line and never retrace your steps. There are a lot of things you can do to save you time and money if you just think.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

...It would be good to have one of those combo tools in my situation. Trimmer w/ attachments.

But in that case if one power head went down you would be without a trimmer, edger, etc.

...One way is to throw away that fantastic speed feed head people are so fond of, it's to slow. I make sure my trimmers FS 90 and FS110 all run the same head and I carry two C 25-2 inserts/line spool with line ready to go, takes about a minute to insert one and I'm back trimming not standing at the trailer wasting time winding a stupid spool. It's faster than a speed feed head and a lot cheaper...

I find the Speed Feed head is quick. I only replace the line maybe twice a day and I have pre-cut lengths of line (around 8 ft.) attached to my trimmer so all I have to do is insert the line and twist. Done in less than 30 seconds.

Carscw

Carscw

And never never give in laws a job.
My wife's brother works with us sometimes ( not my idea ) he is like a horse with blinders on. He walks around the house 3 times. Goes thru 10 feet of line per house and I still have to get everything he missed. But he is better at trimming then mowing.

The fact that he is a dumb azz is only part of the problem he has no desire or passion to do a good job.

Carscw

Carscw

But in that case if one power head went down you would be without a trimmer, edger, etc. I find the Speed Feed head is quick. I only replace the line maybe twice a day and I have pre-cut lengths of line (around 8 ft.) attached to my trimmer so all I have to do is insert the line and twist. Done in less than 30 seconds.

I have used the speed head on 1 trimmer and did not like it. To me it was a pita. Like ric said so much faster to just change out the spool

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

And never never give in laws a job.
My wife's brother works with us sometimes ( not my idea ) he is like a horse with blinders on. He walks around the house 3 times. Goes thru 10 feet of line per house and I still have to get everything he missed. But he is better at trimming then mowing.

The fact that he is a dumb azz is only part of the problem he has no desire or passion to do a good job.

It was the opposite for me. You cant just base yourself on one experience/person. My step brother was like god on a trimmer. I wish he could trim all summer with me, but he has other stuff to do.

jakewells

jakewells

I got 11 yards i do and im a one man show. my daddy always told me if you want to do it right do it yourself and hire no one.
Along with that he told me be fair about my prices don't be to cheap and do be to expensive.
I keep it fair 35.00 for small yards and for yards bigger than 1/2 acre i charge 35.00 per acre. but i don't go over 2 acres when it comes to yards.

jakewells

jakewells

I recommend a 30-50 gallon transfer tank/toolbox with pump,filter,lock too because gas cans are two bulky but i leave a single 5 gal can for 2 stroke gas. sure beats running to station because you are out of go go juice.

Throw in some spare parts for the mowers and the trailer if you have one and your vehicle too.

Keep a cooler or a igloo full of ice water because the sun can sure zap the water out of you're body.

Pack extra string in your back pocket when your away from the truck.

Keep a mechanics tool kit present at all times.

Wear a hat safety glasses and ear plugs. i know that may seem a bit much but trust me i have ringing in my ears from not using them and i have got junk in my eye and it doesn't fell to great so just wear them you only got one pair of eyes and ears. :thumbsup:

GRUMBLEBUM

GRUMBLEBUM

Ive been considering starting a lawn care business this spring. Any tips? What kind of equipment would be good to start off with? I know i can get customers. Yards would mostly be smaller in town. What should i charge per yard? I live in west Michigan.

Its simple and easy .. Buy a HONDA 21 inch Self drive unit..
I have had mine now for over 25 years and it still starts First time ( or at worst 2nd time) every time !!

The newer ones are even better than mine is so dont hesitate .. Its the best on the market !

Cheers and goodf luck

Bob