Export thread

Starter Shims

L

Lawnmower collector

I was given a Harmony 2013 Riding Lawnmower, the Previous Owner said he stopped using it because he was tired of having it worked on he said it had been to the Honda Dealer 4 times at least for issues with starter sims, Does anyone know anything about this? When I first tried to start it the Starter spun but the bendix wouldnt engage so I oiled it up and its been working fine. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about these shims. Thanks

R

Rivets

In all my years of working on small engines, I’ve never heard of shinning a small engine starter. I don’t like the idea of oiling the bendix on small engine starters, it becomes a dirt magnet. I clean and dry all the parts and if I feel it needs lubricant, I use a small amount of powdered graphite.

L

Lawnmower collector

Okay, I guess i never thought of it that way I've never herd of using shims either. Maybe it was some kind of a B.S story from the Honda Shop because they didn't know what was going on or they were trying to get him to buy a new mower. My Parents took there Honda Rototiller to a Stihl shop because it wouldn't run and they said it had burnt valves and no compression which I knew couldn't be true. I replaced the Carburetor it's ran fine since. Where do you get the Powdered Graphite?

R

Rivets

Hobby shop, Lowe’s, Home Depot, Menards all should carry it. You also need to find different repair shops, from what you say, those techs don’t know how to troubleshoot a child’s trike.