Export thread

Starter Motor Replacement

phoneman44

phoneman44

Does anyone have a procedure for changing the starter on a Briggs and Stratton 26hp on a zero-turn Gravely?
Engine is 44p777-0127-B1. The mover is a ZT 2660HD.
Thanks

B

bertsmobile1

While it is not strictly necessary, it is easier if you remove the blower housing.
Then remove the power feed to the starter.
After that it is just 2 bolts
One is easy to access, the other hides partially behind the starter pinion.
Both have a torx hole in the middle, some thing around a # 40 from memory ( probably wrong )
However if you rotate the starter pinion to the top so it engages with the flywheel there is space for a 3/8 drive socket head to get in or a 1/2" drive long reach.
You can use a ring spannar but you only get about 1/12th turn at a time unless you have a cresent ( banana to some ) spannar .
It should be a dead simple job & B & S should have changed that mounting 40 years ago. the bolt just has to move 1/4" out.
One of the reasons why I hate working on B & S engines let alone the 3 spanners two screwdrivers and torx driver needed to remove the blower housing to start with plus pliers for the fuel pump hoses .

phoneman44

phoneman44

While it is not strictly necessary, it is easier if you remove the blower housing.
Then remove the power feed to the starter.
After that it is just 2 bolts
One is easy to access, the other hides partially behind the starter pinion.
Both have a torx hole in the middle, some thing around a # 40 from memory ( probably wrong )
However if you rotate the starter pinion to the top so it engages with the flywheel there is space for a 3/8 drive socket head to get in or a 1/2" drive long reach.
You can use a ring spannar but you only get about 1/12th turn at a time unless you have a cresent ( banana to some ) spannar .
It should be a dead simple job & B & S should have changed that mounting 40 years ago. the bolt just has to move 1/4" out.
One of the reasons why I hate working on B & S engines let alone the 3 spanners two screwdrivers and torx driver needed to remove the blower housing to start with plus pliers for the fuel pump hoses .
Thank you very much for your assistance

StarTech

StarTech

Warning. Use two wrenches when removing and installing the starter main cable or you can destroy the starter brush holder. I sell a lot starters because of this.

Also it is easier just to use a long Torx bit to remove the starter screws especially the RH one. Here I got a long T handle Torx for this job.

mitchstein443

mitchstein443

Searched google for "how to replace starter on a Briggs and Stratton 26hp on a zero-turn Gravely"

second link as this..