Standing Mower

adan

Threads
Strange as it may look, there's got to be a special reason why the operator is standing. I'm trying to think what that can be. Better view of the whole field being mowed? You can still achieve that by standing up on a ride-on mower. Additional weight on the mower perhaps? Would mowers need that?

:confused2:

Anyhow, I took a look at eXmark. What they offer are ride-on mowers that look light.

Just one question: what does "zero-turn" mean?

Main_Image_Quest_SP.jpg

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Strange as it may look, there's got to be a special reason why the operator is standing. I'm trying to think what that can be. Better view of the whole field being mowed? You can still achieve that by standing up on a ride-on mower. Additional weight on the mower perhaps? Would mowers need that?

:confused2:

Anyhow, I took a look at eXmark. What they offer are ride-on mowers that look light.

Just one question: what does "zero-turn" mean?

Main_Image_Quest_SP.jpg

"Zero turn" is a shortened version of the term "Zero Turning radius". This should be self-explanitory, but just in case.... it describes the mower's ability to turn in a radius no wider than the mower, or one of the rear wheels is stationary when turning.
The rear wheels not only drive the mower but they steer it as well, although they don't turn. The front wheels have no steering linkage, they just float and support the front of the mower.
These mower can mow very quickly and are used in most comercial applications. If you are in the lawn care business (a lot of americans prefer to pay someone else to cut the grass) you can be competative with the standard lawn tractor. A large fast Z.T. can cut 8-9 acres an hour in perfect conditions.

AndyMan

Threads
I found a picture of one type of standing mower. It's not quite what I saw, but close. It looks like fun if nothing else. Given the chance, I would definitely give one a try.

supersurfer_overview_image.jpg

touree

Threads
I would also want to give this mower a try but at the back of my mind lingers the thought that I would easily get tired.

Innovations come with reasons so there should be a motivation behind this design.

wmalifer

Forum Newbie
Threads
My two main mowers are a 52 and 36' Exmark walk behind. Most yards around here are just too small to justify a larger Exmark ZTR. 1200lbs vs 500lbs of mower on the grass. However, with the larger yards the sulky can double your speed on them, instead of running behind the mower in 5th gear.:smile:

Attachments

• ezrider.jpg
    ezrider.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 4
  • sulky.jpg
    sulky.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 4

wmalifer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Innovations come with reasons so there should be a motivation behind this design.

The stand on mowers are typically a bit cheaper than a their riding counterparts. You are also in a much better position to see what is DIRECTLY in front of the mower. They also have a smaller footprint on a trailer so take up less space. I personally dont really like them myself, but several other guys around here use them.

lizard

Threads
Good untill you stop suddenly........wow you could do serious damage to your body!:eek: