spotted: 1963 Craftsman snow blower

rickpaulos

Threads
I saw this on a nearby craigslist. Pretty old and very funky. model 536-82170 The photos speak for themselves.

craftsman.snowblower.1963.g.jpgcraftsman.snowblower.1963.a.jpgcraftsman.snowblower.1963.b.jpgcraftsman.snowblower.1963.c.jpgcraftsman.snowblower.1963.d.jpgcraftsman.snowblower.1963.e.jpgcraftsman.snowblower.1963.f.jpg

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Crude - but effective. Looks to be a push deal, not self propelled? Wheels look to be capable of driving. Can't really tell but I don't see any drive mech. And I doubt that the various protection agencies would approve of that design these days.

Interesting machine.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wouldn't want to be pushing that. But never seen any like it before.

Course I hate snow anyhow.

rickpaulos

Threads
I think it does have drive. I see a control rod running along the handle, to another rod going to an arm in front of the motor. I see a few links of chain behind the cobwebs. I wonder if it has a single control for drive and to engage the impeller. The chain might be there as a reduction gear. You certainly would not run the impeller at motor rpm. I'm heading that way in a couple weeks. Should I bother the seller just to get more photos or a video of it in action when I have no intent to add it to my already over filled garage?

I have a 1963 Montgomery Wards PowrKraft snowblower with zero safety controls. The drive and impeller are set by levers with no springs or dead man controls. It's the only snowblower I've owned where I've seen the impeller turn. And no, I won't let the wife run the newer model. I've seen too many videos of women crashing motorised toys because they don't understand the words "Let go". These predate the onset of OSHA (1970 by Nixon) and CPSC (1972 Nixon). Stuff like this probably inspired the creation of OSHA and CPSC.

Lawn Addict
Threads
(y)