Spicer 4360-55 Anything I should check once it's open.

Threads
  • / Spicer 4360-55 Anything I should check once it's open.
Stupid me broke a retaining ring on the axle trying to remove a tire. Opened it up and the gears fell out. Lucky me.

Now that I have this greasy sob reasonably clean and apart,should I look for something while it's open? I'd hate to put it back together and something be worn. Not sure what to look for, other than obvious teeth on gears which looks fine

And lastly. I got some Lucas red grease, can I use that?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not a bad idea to replace the shift keys since they get worn from shifting and can lead to jumping under load. I would say the red grease would be fine but just make sure you have all the old grease out since it most likely isn't compatible with the red grease.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, download and print out a parts breakdown of your tranny. Second download and print out the proper section of this manual. Yes, I know it is a Peerless not Spicer, but they are so similar that most people don’t know the difference. The 800 or 820 series is going to look like the area you will use. Parts I would be checking and possibly replacing are the shift keys, bearing, and seals. I would not recommend using a grease in these type of trannies, and I have been using a clay based lube like BENTINITE for the last 50 years. It is a little more expensive, but I’ve never had a unit fail yet. You MUST make sure that all parts are very clean bef reassembly. Be careful handling many of the parts and you can easily cut yourself. If your unit has shift washers between the gears they must be installed in the correct direction. You will also need a good gasket sealer when assembling the two halves together. On the bearings you will notice a small triangle tab which need to be installed correctly or the halves will not go together properly. I also like to run a tap through each of the bolt holes to clean the threads before assembly. If you have more questions post back and I’ll be glad to help as I’ve done many of these rebuilds when this was the most popular tranny used in the 70’s ans early 80’s. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Te...FFERENTIALS-SERVICE--REPAIR-MANUAL-691218.pdf
Forgot to mention, assemble parts dry if possible, as the clay based lube and grease don’t mix.

Threads
I got it put back on the mower....and now it won't move.

The wheel keys are on the axle. The belt is spinning the pulley. But nothing moves , forward or reverse.

I made sure of putting the two ball bearings back in place.

Sigh. I just want to sell this dang thing,why is it being so difficult ?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Jack up the rear end and rotate one of the rear wheels, see if the other wheel turns in the opposite direction.
Then move the shifter all the way to the left and manually rotate the top pulley, then move the shifter all of the way over to the other side and rotate the pulley.
See what happens.

Mower King

Threads
I got it put back on the mower....and now it won't move.

The wheel keys are on the axle. The belt is spinning the pulley. But nothing moves , forward or reverse.

I made sure of putting the two ball bearings back in place.

Sigh. I just want to sell this dang thing,why is it being so difficult ?
It could be something simple, like release handle employed or something else simple or....it could've been re-assembled incorrectly....or it could just be ruined!
Re-check everything....you might find the problem!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
look closely at the shaft in the center while you spin the pulley, that key falls out easily when installing the pulley.

input.PNG

Threads
Thanks y'all I got it figured out. I left the brake stuff off just so there would be less to take off if something wasn't right. I lost the woodruff key that goes off the brake disc. Mower wouldn't move without that being on.

Edit to be more clear. What ever mechanism that the pedal moves that's connected to the long rod that goes to the brake was the culprit. Sorry if this isn't clear, the humidity kicked my ass today