Export thread

Sparking battery after solenoid install

F

fcbarca7

Hello,

I have an '88 JD160 and have been messing with it for a few years. My most recent problem was a clicking sound when starting. I decided to replace the solenoid as that seemed to be a common issue. Bought a replacement from Amazon and thew it onto the starter. When I went to reattach the negative post of the battery I got some big sparks. The starter is the only part I messed with, so I put the old solenoid back on to see, and the negative post is sparking as well. I'm a little stumped as I'm not great with electrical work. From my understanding there is something draining the battery, and thats why its sparking as I connect the negative. Why would it do this when I put on the old solenoid that wasn't having an issue before? I had disconnected and reconnected the battery many times with that old solenoid to troubleshoot other issues, and that never happened.

Thanks all.

S

slomo

Sparking means a dirty, loose, poor or otherwise weak connection. That electrical load is looking for a better ground or a lower resistance path to carry on. Clean all connections down to bare polished metal and snugly tighten them. Mowers bounce around a lot loosening nuts and bolts.

Dielectric grease and star grounding washers are your friend.

StarTech

StarTech

Slomo there is no other path to battery negative terminal. And dielectric grease is an insulating grease.

The op has something connected wrong now than before before he/she started the work.

F

fcbarca7

Slomo: I'll start cleaning the heck out of all the connections.

StarTech: It's strange because I didn't touch a thing other than the starter, and now with the old solenoid back on I'm getting a bad result. Maybe it's how I installed both solenoids, though I did it exactly the same and the connections look good.

I went ahead and ordered a full starter with the solenoid installed, just to troubleshoot that part. Everything has free returns so no worry there.

Is there a way to test for a bad connection with a multimeter? Again, my electrical knowledge is amateurish, just thinking of options.

Thanks!

B

bertsmobile1

SO you have a piggy back solenoid
And they have a + terminal direct from the battery mounted on the body and the body is ground
Some how you have bridged the insulation between the + and the body
You can check this by reading the Ω between the + and the body next to it
Should read "overload or infinity "

F

fcbarca7

SO you have a piggy back solenoid
And they have a + terminal direct from the battery mounted on the body and the body is ground
Some how you have bridged the insulation between the + and the body
You can check this by reading the Ω between the + and the body next to it
Should read "overload or infinity "
Do I do this with the solenoid connected to the battery? Because I did it without, and there is a 0 ohm reading.

B

bertsmobile1

So you have done it right and you have a short between the + terminal and the body
Check the insulating washers are all in place
A commonly found fault is a steel washer placed directly on the + stud on top of the insulating block that ends up touching on the body then the terminal is tightened