Spark Plugs

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you were talking electrically, you have three choices, Construction Wireman, Carrier Wave or Caution/Warning. Problem is it should be abbreviated C/W. CW without the slash would mean Clockwise. At least that is how I taught my students.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then there Continuous Wave or more commonly as Morse Code transmission and yes I still transmit in that mode as it becoming less common we relay things in code two ways.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
A bit familiar with CW. I was a morse interceptor in the Army back in the 70's in Berlin. Nothing like sitting and hacking dits for 8 hours a day. Only thing that makes it better is having a massive hangover and a raging thunder storm for an entire shift. Sure as heck can't do it now but i used to do 22 WPM.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
A bit familiar with CW. I was a morse interceptor in the Army back in the 70's in Berlin. Nothing like sitting and hacking dits for 8 hours a day. Only thing that makes it better is having a massive hangover and a raging thunder storm for an entire shift. Sure as heck can't do it now but i used to do 22 WPM.
Thank you for your service , Hammer ??????

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well...I feel like the prettiest girl at the dance. Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated as I've recently started studying electronics and this was super helpful. If I understood correctly, as far as the resistor vs non-resistor, it depends on the machine, resilience of the coil, as well as how critical timing is. Got it, I think.

Thank you for the "s" clarification as well. I'll stick with the standard plug for this machine then because I'm working on an older one. I do, however, have a correct cross-reference in my spark plug draw, it just has the "s". I'll gap it properly. I own this machine so any adverse consequences to my mistakes will be my own.
Usually spark plug threads bring out all of the You-tube watchers experts then the Ford / Chev brand prejudices etc & they can be a lot of fun .
Perhaps the scarcastic humour right from the start scarred them off .
Seems like you have your head screwed on right.
Plug grades & types are far more important for magneto ignitions than standard kettering ignition ( battery coil ) .
In almost the earliest motor cycle magazine I read was the brass button bodge for cleaning a fouled plug.
The Brass Buttons ( because every one wore old army great coats with brass buttons ) was to run the spark plug HT cable to a brass button then hold it off the spark plug .
This forced the spark to jump a fouled plug gap and eventually burn the crud off.
It is still a standard method of detecting an bad plug by a lot of mechanics & was one thing that those electronic tune up machines used to analyse your engine which were really popular in the 60's & 70's.
It is also what was behind all of those magic mileage / power boosters that were popular in the 70's & 80's till people realized they were a fraud.
I you can wrap your head around electronics then you are one in a million .
And once you have things sorted, buy your kids / grandkids / nephews & neices electronics kits to get them into it.
Nothing a small child loves more is to make a machine that makes a fart noise.
A bit off topic, but worth talking about
there are 3 things that every parent should give their kids to "play " with that will set them up for life
1) a musical instrument
2) a magnifing glass / microscope
3) electronics kits

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I had a magnifying glass, set everything on fire that I could during a sunshiny day.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought the three things you let your kids play with were guns, knives and fireworks. It weeds out the dumb ones. ?