Sold my Exmark, looking for a riding mower.

jsmo

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I sold my 2019 Radius E this past week. I had a couple of reasons for doing it, mostly because I was spending $130 a month (financed) just to cut my lawn, and also because the machine is good for only one thing Ever since I moved to the country I have had a dream of owning a Kubota BX23S with a mid mount mower. But, my wife and my wallet do not share the same dream. For the time being I am cutting my entire yard, which is approximately 1 acre, with a 21" mower. I am not at work due to COVID-19 so time is not an issue, but I know that this cannot be a long term solution with returning to work soon, having 2 kids and other obligations. Now, this where things get difficult. I can certainly afford the $6000 for a good riding mower/garden tractor, but in doing so I would likely hurt my chances of getting the Kubota down the road so I am tempted to be a bit more conservative. The fact that a mower deck for the BX costs only $2000 is what keeps me from having both a ZTR and the BX. It makes perfect sense to me to have just one machine for all that I need on my property, and trust me when I say that I have plenty to do with a front end loader, backhoe and 3-point attachments in addition to the mower. So for the time being, the only option is to get a riding mower that is under $3000 and hope that in a year or so I have retained some of the resale value, enough to eventually sell and upgrade to that Kubota I want.

Here is what I am looking at and why: I have also included a thing or two which I don't like about them.

- John Deere X330/X350 ($2699-2999 on sale): Very well built, longest warranty and highest resale value at it's price point. I have absolutely no issues having the Briggs engine, but would take the Kawasaki if it is quieter and if it will help the resale. I do not care much for the differences between the 42" and 48" deck designs and would not want to have to get a blower for the 48" deck.

- Cub Cadet XT2 LX 46 FAB ($2499 on sale): Decent warranty, effortless steering, fabricated deck, EFI engine, less expensive bagger than Deere. I had an issue with the cut quality on an LX42 I bought last year, but it was a stamped deck and was warped from the factory. My hope is that the thicker, fabricated deck would be less problematic. While EFI of this type in a consumer mower is not tried and true, I have no hesitation since the warranty would cover it as long as I own it.

- Husqvarna TS248G/XD ($2999-3099): Widest cut, 3 blade deck doesn't require powered assist for bagger, automatic diff lock or ground engaging hydrostatic. I have issues with the quality of these machines. They are some of the highest failure rates in the industry and despite the added benefit of better transmissions, beefier components or larger engines, it is for nothing if the machine is more likely to break down.

This is certainly not an all inclusive list as I have also considered slightly better mowers by all 3 manufactures, but if I am to stay within budget I must draw a line somewhere. I would certainly consider something less expensive if someone could make a good point for it and if their own experience has been good. I do appreciate the upgrades and improvements found in more expensive machines, but do not believe in spending more for something than what it is "worth." Lastly, I will not buy anything used. I have gone down that road many times and have NEVER had good luck.

I would like to hear from anyone who has these exact models so that I can figure out what I would like to get.

Thank you.

Mike
Hey Mike,

I registered on the forums just to reply to this post. I shared your dream and bought a bx23s. The bx23s is like a jack of all trades but sadly is a master of none. We love the backhoe, the bucket loader, hate the bagger system and 52" mower deck. Here's why:

Mower Deck:
Putting on the mower deck can take from 45 min - 2 hours. The mower deck can be a real PITA to get on and off. The folks at the store talked me out of the drive-over deck because they said it is tricky to hook up correctly and it was actually easier to hook up the regular deck. So I have to crawl under the machine to get the deck off and on. The PTO axle that drives the deck can be real finicky to get on. The deck raiser mechanism can also be tricky. Last time I put the deck on I spent 1.5 hrs trying to line up both sides and had to take the deck out of level to get everything to connect correctly. Then had to relevel the deck. It went on ok at the beginning but seems to be getting worse. We're in year 2 and the deck has only been off and on 6 times or so.

Cut Quality:
I'm not impressed with the cut quality. The tractor is heavy and the front tires smash the grass pretty hard before the deck is over it. I've never gotten a smooth even cut on our 2ac fescue grass lawn. Getting around trees is a nightmare. Back and forth, back and forth, anti-scalp wheels digging into the grass making a mess. The guys at the store talked me out of the 60" deck and said the cut quality is worse.

Ride Quality:
The tractor is beefy and does not soak up bumps. There's no flex. It's a bronco ride if you have a bumpy lawn.

The Grass Bagger:
If you get the grass bagger to the tune of $2500 extra you'll need to hook up all sorts of extras when you put it on. You have to install mounting plates but they didn't design the mounting plates so that the they could stay on the machine when the backhoe is on. So if you want to connect the backhoe you have to take off the mounts. Figure 1/2 hr to 45 min to change from backhoe to bagger and back.

The backhoe:
My favorite part of this machine. Not a lot of complaints here. I've taken down a few 30 foot trees and dug up the roots with it but you're not going to do up much more in any reasonable time period. The reach is small. It's a very small backhoe. The retaining pin on the backhoe has never been in alignment and can crush your hand if you're not careful when trying to get it in.

The front end loader:
The front end loader has always been a bit of a PITA to get on and off as well. Many times I get this on and off pretty quick but I've spent and hour trying to get it all aligned.

Summary:
Basically you don't have much clearance for working in the woods, mud, etc.. when the mower deck is on. You also need to have the front end loader and backhoe on together to counter-balance each other. You can't mow with the front end loader and backhoe on because they bounce about. So we find that we are kind of stuck in between setups. Sometimes I'd like to work a little bit digging or using the loader to move some mulch and then I'd like to mow. Because of the 2 hour changeover it's a real pain to switch from one job to the other. I thought all of this gear would connect pretty quickly but it's really finicky and even at 6'1", 200 lbs I can't force anything on or off. Most of the time I leave the mower deck, backhoe, and loader on and just drop the loader and backhoe when I want to mow. We have 2 acres of rolling grass and 9 acres of woods, trail, trees. When I want to work out in the woods I often don't due to the extra work entailed in getting the deck off and on.

If I could do it again:
I would buy a zero turn and a bigger used backhoe. Actually that is what we're doing now. We're going to buy a new scag or gravely (research brought me here today) and then take a huge loss selling the Kubota, and then buying a bigger used backhoe that can handle moving some bigger logs, digging some bigger stumps, and carrying more weight with the loader. The bx23s struggled lifting wet loam we had delivered. If I had a flat property, big flat driveway, and didn't bag grass, and I only planned on using the loader and backhoe a few times per year, then I'd go for the bx23s. We're using the front loader pretty often for gardening, building and expanding the useable land, digging waterways (backhoe) etc.. It'll get you buy but the cut quality is bad. Our property doesn't shine as it should.

Anyway just do your research on the machine first. If I dropped the loader and deck on a flat concrete driveway it might be easier to get on and off. Unfortunately our driveway isn't smooth like glass, but it's hardly bad. Also there is no excuse for having to add mounts, and a ton of hardware for the grass bagger. It's infuriating how bad the design is. Hope you get your dream one day.

cruzenmike

Threads
Hey Mike,

I registered on the forums just to reply to this post. I shared your dream and bought a bx23s. The bx23s is like a jack of all trades but sadly is a master of none. We love the backhoe, the bucket loader, hate the bagger system and 52" mower deck. Here's why:

Mower Deck:
Putting on the mower deck can take from 45 min - 2 hours. The mower deck can be a real PITA to get on and off. The folks at the store talked me out of the drive-over deck because they said it is tricky to hook up correctly and it was actually easier to hook up the regular deck. So I have to crawl under the machine to get the deck off and on. The PTO axle that drives the deck can be real finicky to get on. The deck raiser mechanism can also be tricky. Last time I put the deck on I spent 1.5 hrs trying to line up both sides and had to take the deck out of level to get everything to connect correctly. Then had to relevel the deck. It went on ok at the beginning but seems to be getting worse. We're in year 2 and the deck has only been off and on 6 times or so.

Cut Quality:
I'm not impressed with the cut quality. The tractor is heavy and the front tires smash the grass pretty hard before the deck is over it. I've never gotten a smooth even cut on our 2ac fescue grass lawn. Getting around trees is a nightmare. Back and forth, back and forth, anti-scalp wheels digging into the grass making a mess. The guys at the store talked me out of the 60" deck and said the cut quality is worse.

Ride Quality:
The tractor is beefy and does not soak up bumps. There's no flex. It's a bronco ride if you have a bumpy lawn.

The Grass Bagger:
If you get the grass bagger to the tune of $2500 extra you'll need to hook up all sorts of extras when you put it on. You have to install mounting plates but they didn't design the mounting plates so that the they could stay on the machine when the backhoe is on. So if you want to connect the backhoe you have to take off the mounts. Figure 1/2 hr to 45 min to change from backhoe to bagger and back.

The backhoe:
My favorite part of this machine. Not a lot of complaints here. I've taken down a few 30 foot trees and dug up the roots with it but you're not going to do up much more in any reasonable time period. The reach is small. It's a very small backhoe. The retaining pin on the backhoe has never been in alignment and can crush your hand if you're not careful when trying to get it in.

The front end loader:
The front end loader has always been a bit of a PITA to get on and off as well. Many times I get this on and off pretty quick but I've spent and hour trying to get it all aligned.

Summary:
Basically you don't have much clearance for working in the woods, mud, etc.. when the mower deck is on. You also need to have the front end loader and backhoe on together to counter-balance each other. You can't mow with the front end loader and backhoe on because they bounce about. So we find that we are kind of stuck in between setups. Sometimes I'd like to work a little bit digging or using the loader to move some mulch and then I'd like to mow. Because of the 2 hour changeover it's a real pain to switch from one job to the other. I thought all of this gear would connect pretty quickly but it's really finicky and even at 6'1", 200 lbs I can't force anything on or off. Most of the time I leave the mower deck, backhoe, and loader on and just drop the loader and backhoe when I want to mow. We have 2 acres of rolling grass and 9 acres of woods, trail, trees. When I want to work out in the woods I often don't due to the extra work entailed in getting the deck off and on.

If I could do it again:
I would buy a zero turn and a bigger used backhoe. Actually that is what we're doing now. We're going to buy a new scag or gravely (research brought me here today) and then take a huge loss selling the Kubota, and then buying a bigger used backhoe that can handle moving some bigger logs, digging some bigger stumps, and carrying more weight with the loader. The bx23s struggled lifting wet loam we had delivered. If I had a flat property, big flat driveway, and didn't bag grass, and I only planned on using the loader and backhoe a few times per year, then I'd go for the bx23s. We're using the front loader pretty often for gardening, building and expanding the useable land, digging waterways (backhoe) etc.. It'll get you buy but the cut quality is bad. Our property doesn't shine as it should.

Anyway just do your research on the machine first. If I dropped the loader and deck on a flat concrete driveway it might be easier to get on and off. Unfortunately our driveway isn't smooth like glass, but it's hardly bad. Also there is no excuse for having to add mounts, and a ton of hardware for the grass bagger. It's infuriating how bad the design is. Hope you get your dream one day.

I am so glad that you added this post. I had actually been giving this a lot of thought today because I finally got a chance to jump on a BX23S at my mom's house and had some "feelings" about it that I just couldn't ignore. Some of your comments regarding the machine were thoughts that I had already developed just earlier in the day. This machine is oddly unbalanced despite it's weight. I also experienced first hand what you were saying about the incredibly firm ride. I was driving, unloaded across some bumpy group and darn near got tossed out of my seat. Didn't help that I had just gotten off of a much larger 30hp New Holland with suspension seat but still, the BX tosses you around pretty good if the ground isn't relatively flat. As for be mowing, they don't use their for that, but having owned a few rider's and ZTRs, I could never imagine that it would performed as well as my Exmark or even my old Cub Cadet. The added complexities of adding and removing bits and pieces to get the "best" functionality out of this machine just make it less appealing. I think that your post and my first-hand experience have certainly persuaded me to just look for a mid to higher end rider and to simply borrow my mom's BX when I do need the BH or FEL. Thanks!

cruzenmike

Threads
What a terrible position to be in?!

My wife and I are still managing the lawn with the push mower, but due to medical reasons I am not able to help her in the yard for a couple of weeks. Really makes me wish that circumstances were different. So now here I sit with an abundance of time to research and mull things over and have come up with a couple more ideas.

After speaking with another member, I got onto the track of the Kubota T2290KWT-48 which for the price appears to be a decent mower. Heavy build, G730 transmission, Kawasaki engine, fabricated deck, suspension seat, nice dash, etc.. I have not been able to price one out but I think them to be under $4000. I would certainly feel better with this over a Cub Cadet and it would be less expensive than the Deere X380. Lastly, if I were to be dead set on spending around $5K on a mower, why not the Simplicity Broadmoor 25/52? This mower can be had for a few hundred less than the X390, has a K62 with automatic diff lock, rear suspension, wider range of cut height and still offers power steering and deck lift. The only downside to the Simplicity is the 3 year warranty and a really high number of 1 star reviews. Normally I would not look at something like that so much, but if you look at their website, the majority of them are either 1 or 5 which leads me to believe that they have some poor quality control issues. Either someone gets a good one or they get a dud. That is about all that can explain why a mower that is a good value and offers an excellent cut would be rated so low. Am I nuts for thinking that the Broadmoor compares to the X390? If I chose to spend less than $4k, should the Kubota T2290 rank higher than the Cub Cadet GX54D or the Husqvarna TS 354X?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A lot of 1 & 5 star reviews smacks of manipulation by the company or very bad marketing.
The only on going problem we see here is the deck twisting & fouling on the engine pulley.
SO yes go to all of the lawnmower forums & groups, there are a llot of them out there and search Simplicity , don't put a model in to get more results.
I have a couple pre-Briggs take over in the service run & they look very good.
Strong enough to to to war in but requiring a lot of maintenance to keep them in fine fettle.

cruzenmike

Threads
A lot of 1 & 5 star reviews smacks of manipulation by the company or very bad marketing.
The only on going problem we see here is the deck twisting & fouling on the engine pulley.
SO yes go to all of the lawnmower forums & groups, there are a llot of them out there and search Simplicity , don't put a model in to get more results.
I have a couple pre-Briggs take over in the service run & they look very good.
Strong enough to to to war in but requiring a lot of maintenance to keep them in fine fettle.
I am a bit concerned with their quality since the Briggs takeover. We have seen what has happened with the Snapper brand and with recent news of their financial troubles I don't get the best feeling. The Lawn Care But just got one of the 25/52's and he gave it a lot of praise, by then again, if someone gave me one I would wash, wax and kiss the thing every night. He himself bought a Deere X350 which speaks to his own needs and what he thinks his money is best spent on. Regardless, I wouldn't take just his word for it, that's why I appreciate all of our forum members chiming in. It still does shock me with how much access we have to technology and the increasing number of people wanting to be YouTube contributors, it is still hard to find content on many of these machines that I am looking at.

cruzenmike

Threads
Well, this story is certainly far from over, as I still have a long term plan that involves a brand new piece of equipment, but I did make a purchase this weekend that I am quite excited about. . . .

I present my new John Deere LT155. While I would have preferred an LT166, I saw this mower and just could not pass it up. Now hear me when I say that I was NOT AT ALL interested in purchasing a piece of used equipment but considering what I had found, and for the price that they were asking, I figured why not.

Here is a little history on the mower: The seller purchased the mower new back in 1997 or 1998 from a local John Deere dealer for $3500. Since then the mower was used to cut their 9,000 sq foot residential lot. This LT155 has the 38" deck and is currently configured with a full mulching kit. I am not sure if I will keep it this way, or opt to purchase the OEM high lift blades and covert the deck.

I took some time this morning to look at the mower over before I made an offer. The mower is in very good cosmetic condition. I checked the battery and it showed proper voltage. The deck was clean inside and out with very little rust. Both belts on the mower were replaced a few years back and the oil was changed last fall. I checked the oil which appeared to be golden yellow still. I then started the mower which turned over with ease and fired on the second crank without choke (it might have been warm enough from him pulling it out 10 minutes prior). I tried looking and feeling all around and other than some dirt/crud here and there, it seemed to be in order for it's age. I am guessing that no "deep cleaning" has been done on this mower in all the time that they owned it.

Lastly, I drove the mower around. The transmission appears to be a bit noisy (whine) but from what I can tell it is strong and has no slippage. In fact, the mower moved quite well with pedal presses and sped up as it should. The steering was tight with absolutely zero slop and the deck height adjustment and lift are in perfect operation. Outside of the above mentioned drive and deck belts and a few batteries, the mower has only had routine maintenance over the years with no major repairs needed.

Other than that, I don't know how much more that I can say. I made the purchase and will be picking it up tomorrow evening. I have already started doing some research on this particular mower and look forward to "tearing" it down and cleaning all of the nooks and crannies and possibly even doing some much needed service to ensure that it holds up.

Here are some picture as well.

00m0m_jtJBODwlqvC_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00W0W_2GpnQntxVGo_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00P0P_lVYwUrNMRAn_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00e0e_eCJL4i1rKds_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00e0e_9sjVDQxPEyU_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00U0U_8eJIvRKPPIs_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00A0A_2EOlVquEt6v_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00y0y_fFd9vrzLH9M_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00l0l_gL319Pgyco0_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg00N0N_eBFS0swcY9i_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think I have it all figured out. Due to COVID-19 related wage losses I am holding off on buying anything new at this time. My wife has offered to help mow our acre of grass with the 21" Honda. We have taken turns mowing different parts of the yard and have been able to get two complete mowings in this week. This system is working well and we both enjoy the exercise that we are getting. Like I may have said before this cannot be a long term solution, so.....

Eventually the plan is to buy something once my wages are restored back to 100% of what they were pre-COVID. #1 on my list is the Kubota BX. I have spent the past 3 years buying and selling 6 mowers or so, never being satisfied and if I can swing it I think that the BX would finally get me to where I want to be. If for some unforeseen reason I cannot get the BX, my second choice is the John Deere X390. Why this model specifically? While I do not necessarily need or want the power steering or deck lift, I want the K58 trans and 48" deck, and in this model the transmission is serviceable with a replaceable filter and fillable fluid reservoir. While he capabilities of the X390 will fall FAR short of the Kubota BX, it would still offer a handful of attachments that can be of use on my property and if after a few years circumstances change, it will be more desirable and have a higher resale value. I had considered a Simplicity Broadmoor as opposed to the X390 but I would really have to dig deeper once the time to purchase comes.

Fingers now crossed that I don't have to wait too long to get one of these beauties in my garage!!
Dude, you GOT to get another push mower. Like over at my house. The wife and I cut grass on Saturday mornings. It is SOOOOO romantic LOL. ?‍❤️‍? ? ?

I wouldn't pick from the above talked about over priced machines. Look for a used Snapper rear engine rider. You can get a 33" deck in good shape for around $400 in these parts. They cut like a laser beam and have the most simplistic, reliable transmission slash drive system on ANY mower. Just think, only 1 blade to maintain. How simple is that?

slomo

cruzenmike

Threads
Dude, you GOT to get another push mower. Like over at my house. The wife and I cut grass on Saturday mornings. It is SOOOOO romantic LOL. ?‍❤️‍? ? ?

I wouldn't pick from the above talked about over priced machines. Look for a used Snapper rear engine rider. You can get a 33" deck in good shape for around $400 in these parts. They cut like a laser beam and have the most simplistic, reliable transmission slash drive system on ANY mower. Just think, only 1 blade to maintain. How simple is that?

slomo
I have honestly looked for these, but everything that I have found locally has been either much newer and thus priced out of my (used machine) budget or they are in such bad condition that they need money put right into them.

I grew up with an 8hp Ariens rear engine rider and I loved that thing. Kind of cut low, even on the highest setting, but in all the years of owning it, all we ever had to fix or replace was the clutch disk that has the rubber banding on it. Such a nice and simple machine. The new MTD models that resemble the RER's of yesteryear do not even come close to their quality and durability.

Like I said above, I will be picking up this John Deere and I didn't pay much more than what you say the Snappers are selling for around your neck of the woods, so I don't think that I did too bad. I am always keeping my eyes peeled for mowers and should something come up that peeks my interests I may find myself "in the market," otherwise I will keep working towards a shiny new machine one day in the (hopefully) near future.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
How many hours on that John Deere rider? Sure looks like new. Those mowers cut really well too.

cruzenmike

Threads
How many hours on that John Deere rider? Sure looks like new. Those mowers cut really well too.

These models do not have hour meters, but considering the size of the original owners lawn, and 22 years of use, I estimate 300-400 hours. And yes, this mower is in exceptional cosmetic condition for it's age. I made a couple of passes with it when I got it home and it looks okay. I think that some deck leveling is in order and I want to look into converting over to side discharge with high lift blades and removing the baffles under the deck.