Solar lighting

Hershey

Threads
Have you ever seen those solar lights that hang on fencing or attach to the house? Have you used them? Do they work? Recommendations?

beesnroses32

Threads
The solar lights I use work pretty well when used to illuminate the front porch. That said, I have to use two that are aimed properly, and I went through a bunch that were useless.

173abn

Threads
Hershey, the ones I put on my deck work but they don't put out a lot of light.I bought them at Lowes. russ

EverGreen

Threads
I just saw some that you put on your deck posts. You put them on instead of post caps but I don't know how well they work. My neighbors have some that are pretty bright. I noticed that the ones with the blue lights are brighter than any other solar lights.

Hershey

Threads
Thanks for the responses. I have a set that is out along the rear fence, but I'd really like something that is on the patio. Where I am thinking of gets a lot of sun, so I'm confident they'd charge fine. It's just finding a brand and set that actually works.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hershey... Like russ said, the majority do not put out enough light to light anything. They are more of an accent lighting to outline a garden, drive or walkway.
Do you need it for actual lighting or just an effect. KennyV

Hershey

Threads
Kenny, what I ultimately want is something that would just let me see what's going on a little bit. I'm not necessarily looking for a walloping powerful light, but something that will give me a bit of a visual.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are actually looking for usable lighting you will be better off using a wired set... even the low voltage wired sets will way out preform the solar type. Plus they will be dependable and be full bright whenever they are turned on... You can use spots or floods with a wired set, easy to set your brightness.

if you already have power at the patio you are referring to it could be a rather simple install. KennyV

Last edited:

Hershey

Threads
There's just one outside power source and we have two flood lights attached to it. There's no way to wire the patio and other regions of the yard where the two floods don't it. They have such a narrow scope.