Export thread

Snow thrower engine problems

B

bubby

A neighbor gave me an off brand (All Power) snow thrower. It has an 87cc, four stroke. Been unable to find the manufacturer of the engine, I'm guessing it's generic. I changed oil, plug, gas, (no apparent air filter), took the bowl off the carb and the float looks good and needle was free, then gave it a general clean up. I prime it and choke it fully and it pops right off, first pull. After 20-30 seconds it starts to chug so I move the choke open a little. It smooth's out and idles fine. I let it warm up as much as 5-10 min. then open the choke full and it dies. I choke it, almost fully, and it returns to a pretty good idle. When I try to move the choke open slowly it does the same thing and acts like it is getting slowly choked. I can engage the impeller to start throwing snow but can't get any RPM's out of the engine. Very frustrating. I know just enough about small engines to be dangerous laughing:

Pointers in any direction are greatly appreciated.

Bubby

P

peggking23

I think it has been stored for a long period without maintenance. I think you should call the manufacturer to take care of the issue. Until then you can use simple snow removal hacks.

R

Rivets

Sounds to me like your engine is running lean. Probably due to fuel left in the unit for a long period of time. Carb will need to be cleaned and rebuilt or replaced. Please post the model and serial numbers of the unit and I might be able to help you a bit more.

D

Darryl G

What Rivets said and to add that snow blowers don't usually have an air filter.