Snapper trade in cost?

Hal12

Threads
I've a 48" mid deck snapper. 04...hzs18483bve. Around 450 hrs. Runs great.

Been talking with the owner of the local mower shop about getting a country clipper

and have told him I didn't want to buy anything until the snapper was sold..asked

him if he would do a trade in. He said a good rule of thumb for used mower values

is 20% of the original cost. I paid 3800$ for the snapper new. 760$ sounds kinda low.

Similiar ones in craigs list are asking from 750 to 1500$ Any ideas? tia

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Trade ins are always low unless there is a subsidy from the mower maker for the dealer to take your old mower & destroy it.
The dealer has to prepare the mower for resale which may include a lot of time and parts then sell it at a profit .
I no longer sell used mowers because there is no profit in it for me .
Buy one privately & it blows up the second the new owner gets it off their trailer and it is tough luck
buy one from a dealer and it faulters 3 months latter & you expect a free warranty service.

Hal12

Threads
Talking to the owner of the mower shop I was surprised to hear new buyers don't care for twin lever steering.

And that the joystick is preferred. I could have sworn the dealer for my snapper said that joystick turning

was on the way out..people didn't care for it. That was back in 04. If it's popular now, maybe it will add value

when I try to sell it or trade it in.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In my area I would be offering a maximum trade-in of $400 if it’s in good condition and you’re not a regular customer. If I know you and the unit it would be about $700. You may say I’m ripping you off, but have been burnt to many times ending up with units that aren’t worth reselling. Just hurts my reputation, and would rather lose a sale than my reputation.