Snapper RER no start electric or rope

Mattmotors

Threads
Snapper RER model 2812523BVE (7800104) Serial 2013121925 with a Briggs Intek 12.5 serial 080514ZA73619 28 Inch deck.

A little history. This was a Craigslist find. All safety items were cut and the safety module was gone. I rewired all the safety switches and put a new safety module in it and and it worked like it is suppose to. Gave it to my daughter in law and she ran it no problem. Then I get the call, won't start. So I picked it up today to look at it. Well I guess I'm puzzled so here I am.
First off , If any of the safety switches are operating , you can still turn the engine over with the starter, you just won't have any spark. my engine won't even turn over with the key start.
Things I have checked:
Battery is at 13 volts. I have a good lion battery.
My solenoid was not clicking so I took it out, cleaned the mounting tabs, put 12 volts to it and it clicks away. Metered the contacts as it was clicking and it works as it should. Reinstalled and also ran a wire from the mounting tab to the ground on the engine block.
Voltage checks: Battery- good. V+ from batt to solenoid good, Trigger wire on solenoid removed and turn the key, 12volts.
When I hook it all up and turn the key (wire on starter disconnected) I get no clicking from the solenoid and my V+ from the battery to the solenoid goes to zero. All the safety switches do is kill spark. Also , I can't start it with the recoil starter. I have no spark. Something is happening but it should still be able to turn it over with the key. Please share your thoughts. Thanks , Matt.

seagiant

Threads
Hi,
Have you taken a VOM Meter and checked the key switch?

Mattmotors

Threads
I believe the key switch is ok. Off is M to G On is no connections and Start is B to S. When I pull the lead that energizes the solenoid and meter it when I turn the key to start, I get +12 volts. I am going to dig deeper today.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just disconnect the kill wire going to the ignition coil, and then check for spark when you use the pull start. Also, snap a few pics so we can get an idea of what you have.

seagiant

Threads
Hi,
If no spark pulling the cord (missed that!) then spark plug, coil, or timing?

If she hit something, flywheel key could be sheared and timing off?

Just looking for things that would cause a no spark condition.

Of course if there is no spark with cord then Starter system could be fine and working correctly but not the problem.

Mattmotors

Threads
Found my problem. On the solenoid, the 2 heavy studs, They have 2 nuts each. the first nut was not tight all the way. I would tighten the second nut with the wires on but still have a poor connection.
So I tightened the first nut good and followed thru with the rest of the wires and secured the second nut tight. It started right up. Lesson learned. As far as not starting with the recoil , that is another day. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Matt.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nice catch on the solenoid nuts.