Export thread

Smaller saws

R

Roger

I am thinking something like a 24 inch chainsaw might be a little more than I need for some of the work we are planning. Does anyone here have experience with smaller saws?

173abn

173abn

Roger,I own a Sthil with a 16" bar.I've cut some mighty big trees with it.It might take a little longer with a smaller bar but if you keep your chain sharp it'll work plus it don't wear you out if your cutting a lot of wood. russ

K

KennyV

You can get small trim saws, 10 or 12 inch bar, in either gas or electric...I've used both and they are handy...
Like russ said it will take you a little longer, but not much longer... the smallish saws are so handy to use that I can't think of being without one... :smile:KennyV

grnspot110

grnspot110

Likewise! I use an 029 Stihl with a 16" bar; safer, easier to handle & all I usually need even though it will handle a larger bar. I try to avoid really big trees, but have cut one 46" diameter white oak with a 16" bar ( had to notch all around the tree to reach). 24" trees are no problem for a 16" bar! ~~ grnspot110

173abn

173abn

grnspot110, that's the saw I own.great little saw. russ

T

Thunder

If you don't have a lot of big jobs, a sawzall will work just as good too. That type of saw is good for trimming off low growing branches.