Smaller Chainsaw rec?

otisdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been fortunate to buy 6 acres in the PNW with a fair amount of Maple and pine that has been neglected for about a decade. I plan to clean it up, remove the snags and down timber, and do a bit of limbing to improve my view of the water. I've got a 28, a 28 super and a good MS361 but I need a smaller saw to round out my options....I'm guessing that I want an older saw in very good condition as opposed to one of the new ones?
Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless you are intending jugleing the saws , just get a short bar for the lightest one
A 10 or 12 inch bar will fit on any of them, the only sort of snag is it will be engine heavy so a greater tendency for kick back.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
028 super 50cc class saw
Ms361 60cc class saw

Ms181 30cc class saw
Ms251 45cc class saw

About the only saw smaller than you 028 is the 171 or 181.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What I prefer in a small saw is a top handle version for one hand operation. Basically it would be a trimming saw like the one I use for pruning fruit trees so I can use a ladder and hang on one hand so I don't fall. As I age a gas powered pole saw is becoming more inline with the fruit orchard work as I done had one step ladder to break on me. I was lucky enough to push away as I felled or I would have been impelled by broken leg of the ladder.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got tired of standing in the bucket of my bro in law's loader to trim trees and got a Stihl pole saw. It does a great job. A couple drawbacks. A little heavy, my old shoulders would not want to use it all day. Wind direction matters. Get a good pair of wrap around safety glasses. And wear a helmet. The helmet thing is important. Gravity is fast.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I got tired of standing in the bucket of my bro in law's loader to trim trees and got a Stihl pole saw. It does a great job. A couple drawbacks. A little heavy, my old shoulders would not want to use it all day. Wind direction matters. Get a good pair of wrap around safety glasses. And wear a helmet. The helmet thing is important. Gravity is fast.
So you are not as hard headed as a wife and family thinks you are....<lol> Meanwhile I departing to get those 4 bald tire replaced this morning. Borrowing the money to get it done.