Simplicity 7116...what to look for

rich_kildow

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been lurking for a while as I search for a larger GT to move snow, mow the acre of lawn and keep my trails knocked down on the other 10 at my new (first) home, and maybe even run a tiller. I've been leaning towards a wheel horse but haven't found any locally worth the asking price.

I have stumbled across a 7116 with the deck, blower, vacuum, and trailer for the vac in good condition for a fair price. I'm going to take a look at it and am curious if there is anything specific I should be looking for. Do I understand correctly that this model should have a a hydro deck lift, as well as hydro lifts front and back?

I currently run an 88 Craftsman 12hp 38" with a 40" blower and 6 speeds+reverse. It moves all but the heaviest snow VERY well with the single stage blower. I'm guessing that this 7116 is a significantly heavier machine and will do an even better job than the craftsman has, right? Thanks in advance and for all the help I've gotten so far.

hotshot

Threads
Simplicity makes a very heavy duty tractor they will move mountains of snow and dirt with a plow and rip through more than a foot of wet snow with a blower as for the attachment lift it should be hydro or electric. Good luck

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would definitely take a close look at the engine. This was a very good unit, but many times they were worked very hard and you may have to stick more many into it than it is worth. What type of tranie is in it? I would say be careful, you could get burned or have a diamond in the rough. Before you buy have a mechanic check it out.

rich_kildow

Forum Newbie
Threads
I went and looked at it and she fires right up...after sitting for 2 years and with about half a tank of bad gas topped off with fresh stuff. No smoke, no knocks, smooth idle...if it runs this well under those conditions, I have faith in the engine once I give it a good once through. I'm not a certified mechanic, but I'm confident/capable in pretty much anything less complicated than an auto tranny in a vehicle.

It is a hydrostatic transmission with manual lift. I would like to convert it to a hydraulic or electric lift, especially for the snowblower so I can adapt the snow cab I have. It needs a new deck belt and idler pulley, but beyond that, everything looked great. I'm sure I'll be on here a WHOLE lot more if I end up with this machine.

BTW, was there ever a belly grader blade? I have a fairly long gravel driveway now and something along those lines would make filling and leveling the depressions MUCH easier than by hand!

hotshot

Threads
Yeah they made a belly mounted grader blade for them but you are going to have a really hard Tim finding one......if you are handy with a welder you could make one

Grady04

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Simplicity 7116,(actually 2) that I have been using since 1999 when I bought it. I have a 36" rear tiller that works really well. I also have a 42" snow blade that would work great if I had snow chains for the tires. My problem is that I never kept the deck blown off with a leaf blower, therefore the deck has rusted away. I contacted the dealer to price a deck shell(48") which is $489.00. Don't want to pay that, so I bought a ZTR for mowing and the 7116 for garden and pushing. Good luck with yours! GF