Show me your skillets

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And those table legs do look so good some days.

It is your body slowing down the reason you gaining weight we all old farts unless gain weight. When I was in my 20's I could put away two large pizzas and still lose weight. Now if just look at a pie I gain weight.

But at least I don't look the retired truck drive across the way. when he get on his 42" cut Snapper ZTR it lost disappears. No wonder I can hear screaming when it see him coming. He is at least 350 and looks like a pumpkin with stick stuck in it for arms and legs.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
My $.02 worth
The OXO non-stick skillet is the best but like all non-stick don't use metal or cook on high heat and even then it will eventually need replaced. Mine is a few years old is is almost like new still. I feel the hybrid pans (hexclad) are a passing fad pushed by TV chefs. Carbon steel are similar to cast iron in cooking qualities as long as you properly season them and properly clean them. Mafter and De buyer I feel are the best as they are thicker than most other carbon steel pans. They are in the $100 range for a 12". Have you considered cooking the eggs in a separate pan like a small non-stick? How do you clean your cast iron? Does it have a lot of carbon buildup? Mine is non-stick and all I do is pour in some water into the hot pan and then give it a scrub with a chainmail. It is so seasoned I don't need to oil it when done. I have tossed out all the worn out aluminum stuff.

I have a little egg skillet. But that means washing two pans just for breakfast. I never cook anything on high heat. (stove top) The closest I get is medium high, when I'm in a hurry. But that's always with the cast iron.

I clean my cast iron two ways. Depending on how bad it is. If it's real bad, I use salt and stainless steel mesh. Then either rinse and hand dry (then heat). Or sometimes with hot water and soap. Then I usually dry on the stove, spread a thin layer of oil on it. Then pop in the oven on about 400 for 30 minutes to an hour. Depending on how it looks.

There's soooo many different kinds of new skillets. I don't mind paying $100 for one. But honestly, I think I'd just stick with the cast iron and extra maintenance than to spend that much.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
And those table legs do look so good some days.

It is your body slowing down the reason you gaining weight we all old farts unless gain weight. When I was in my 20's I could put away two large pizzas and still lose weight. Now if just look at a pie I gain weight.

But at least I don't look the retired truck drive across the way. when he get on his 42" cut Snapper ZTR it lost disappears. No wonder I can hear screaming when it see him coming. He is at least 350 and looks like a pumpkin with stick stuck in it for arms and legs.

Oh yeah. Even all the way up into my 40's, I could eat a horse and never gain a lb. 2 hours later, finish off 1/2 a chocolate pie. I'd eat so much sugar I could start a diabetes factory. With over production layoffs within a week.

I think that's where this 20 extra lbs came from. My metabolism didn't inform me that it was slowing down, and that I needed to follow suit. Used to, after eating a lot, my stomach would pooch out til morning. Then it was gone. One morning I woke up and it was still here.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a little egg skillet. But that means washing two pans just for breakfast. I never cook anything on high heat. (stove top) The closest I get is medium high, when I'm in a hurry. But that's always with the cast iron.

I clean my cast iron two ways. Depending on how bad it is. If it's real bad, I use salt and stainless steel mesh. Then either rinse and hand dry (then heat). Or sometimes with hot water and soap. Then I usually dry on the stove, spread a thin layer of oil on it. Then pop in the oven on about 400 for 30 minutes to an hour. Depending on how it looks.

There's soooo many different kinds of new skillets. I don't mind paying $100 for one. But honestly, I think I'd just stick with the cast iron and extra maintenance than to spend that much.
My cast iron is very low maint. I can cook a cornbread in it and the residue just wipes out. Searing meats leaves some stuck bits but a cup of water and 10 seconds with the chainmail and it is clean.

RayMcD

Threads

This one is fantastic, corn bread comes out perfect, make's a super apple pie, salmon patties come out perfect. Easy to keep clean, just wipe clean and store in the bottom of the oven