Should I use bagger when mowing dandelions?

Joelk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dandelions are blooming and I have a bagger installed on one of my mowers. I was wondering if it would be wise to use the bagger when mowing them.

Doing so, might let me bag and discard a lot of seeds, but since the bags(Cub Cadet 964-0251) have holes in them it might also cause them spread to other areas of the lawn.

I'm inclined to think it would be a net benefit, but was wondering what others think.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah mowing often and bagging can help once they start going to seed. Gorilla duct tape on holes in bags does a decent job of patching them. If it won't stick try heating with a hair dryer. The wind is going to spread them anyway if you don't bag them.

Joelk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply.

The bags on mine are in pretty good condition, no rips/tears. The holes I was referring to are the ones that are in the bags to let the air flow through.

I assume that even those holes may be large enough to let seeds go through, but I don't know how small of a hole they will fit through.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If your lawn is healthy and you don't cut the grass too short ( less than 2-3" ) then the seed will not be able to germinate.
There are probably several thousand seeds landing on your lawn each& every day drifting in on the breeze from miles away.
The trick is to cut before they set seed even if that means cutting twice a week.
Water your lawn & kill the dandilions by covering them with fertilizer and sand mix about 1/2 " thick and resist the urge to pull them out.
The sand prevents light getting to the leaves and the fertilizer encourages the grass either side to grow strongly and crowd out the weeds.