Export thread

sharpening blade angle

M

mowerman05

what angle does everyone sharpen there blades to? the new ones I bought seem to have about a 60 degree angle but they loose that edge very rapidly. John deere blades if that matters.

S

SeniorCitizen

60° from where?

If you check the hardness with a file and it files about like a common 6d nail you've found the answer why they dull so fast.

R

Rivets

Oregon blade angles are 30 degrees, I have seen new JD blades at almost 50 degrees. I sharp all push mower and lawn tractor blades a about 30 degrees and rough cut mower blades about 25.

exotion

exotion

I keep whatever angle the blade comes with. The blade dulled when you hit wet grass or anything that's not normal dry grass

M

mowerman05

60ー from where?

If you check the hardness with a file and it files about like a common 6d nail you've found the answer why they dull so fast.

looking at the end of the blade, just guessing on the angle, however it is more than a 45

M

mowerman05

Oregon blade angles are 30 degrees, I have seen new JD blades at almost 50 degrees. I sharp all push mower and lawn tractor blades a about 30 degrees and rough cut mower blades about 25.

Thanks Rivets, I will give that a try as that's kinda what I was thinking but not sure.

I

ILENGINE

Oregon has a saying called 30-30 which means sharpen the blades at a 30 degree angle and leave a .030 thick dull edge.

S

SeniorCitizen

Oregon has a saying called 30-30 which means sharpen the blades at a 30 degree angle and leave a .030 thick dull edge.

There may be more behind this theory than Oregon is telling. Like if it has a .030 dull edge the odds of anyone cutting themselves and Oregon being sued is less likely.

Not me, may as well mount weed whacker string under the deck.

exotion

exotion

There may be more behind this theory than Oregon is telling. Like if it has a .030 dull edge the odds of anyone cutting themselves and Oregon being sued is less likely.

Not me, may as well mount weed whacker string under the deck.

I don't think that's why they do that. :)

S

SeniorCitizen

I don't think that's why they do that. :)

What's your theory?

exotion

exotion

What's your theory?

Well .030 is not really dull.... So it will still cut people very easily espically dumb people. I think they do that to make the blade evenly "dull" which slows down the actual process of it dulling.

The angle of 30 is very steep more like shears less like a knife this is best for the quality of cut as it generates more lift and makes a nice even cut.

Bill Martin

Bill Martin

I just know the right angle from years of endless sharpening. I think the key is to sharpen on a set schedule. The longer you wait, the harder it is to keep the right angle

W

woolyhead

I think you need to be clearer with the questions. Are we talking about rotary or reel mowers and how are we defining the angle in question? For example is it supposed to slope away from the forward direction of travel or towards it on the top surface of the blade? I think that defines the meaning quite well.

cpurvis

cpurvis

I think you need to be clearer with the questions. Are we talking about rotary or reel mowers and how are we defining the angle in question? For example is it supposed to slope away from the forward direction of travel or towards it on the top surface of the blade? I think that defines the meaning quite well.
What?

How about this: Blade angle is defined as "X degrees from horizontal."

B

bertsmobile1

Actually it is the included angle between the top & bottom surfaces.
Two dimensions to blade sharpening.
1) the angle
2) the leading edge thickness

Now this thread is near 4 years old.

W

woolyhead

Just to clarify what everyone (?) means by the sharpening angle of the blade, could we please have some diagrams showing how it is defined? This question applies to reel mowers and to any other type.