Setting Engine Speeds on Cub Cadet 1515

Threads
So I recently pulled the engine out of my lawn tractor to replace a blown head gasket. Some how I got the throttle adjustment all out of whack and need help setting my engine speeds.

I have a Cub Cadet 1515 lawn tractor with a Kohler Command CV15 engine.

I installed a tach. Engine unloaded, I set my max engine speed to 3600rpm. And my low idle speed to 1200rpm.

When I engage the PTO, rpms drop to around 2500rpm. When cutting grass the tractor is extremely loaded down and rpms drop to like 2100rpm. It also drives really slow when its fully loaded. I can make all this up by increasing engine speed say to like 4000rpm unloaded. When loaded it would be well below 3600rpm. Any suggestions on what to do?

Mower King

Threads
It's hard to repair something over the phone or the keyboard but, sounds like you may have the Governor linkage or spring out of Spec?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The governor is not set correctly ,

Threads
I did mess with the governor. Right now I have it set just barely all the way counterclockwise. If I bottom it all the way to counterclockwise it will allow the engine max speed to be 1500rpm. Just slightly turning it clockwise, and I mean barely turning it, it allows the governor to kick in around 4400rpms. See attached pic of what im pointing at. 43595.jpegI adjusted the throttle cable to run the engine at 3600rpm. Then set the throttle linkage stop screw at that location. Then readjusted the throttle cable to max out to that same position.

Threads
Ok So I just bumped it up to about 3800RPM. When driving around with the PTO off RPMs hang around 3600RPM. The tractor has perfect speed with PTO off. But when loaded (cutting grass, PTO on) RPMS hang around 2300RPM and by the end of the cut (tractor more warmed up at this point) RPMs with PTO engaged are about 2500RPM. The tractor is very sluggish when loaded. I would imagine this is somewhat normal, but it seems to me that the engine is loaded down way too much. What is normal? What should RPMs be at when loaded?