Seized engine on Toro Timecutter 5000

TheLadyRides

Forum Newbie
Threads
My so-called handyman was asked to change the oil on my zero-turn Toro. Afterward, I set out to mow the lawn (it's a big one). Near the end of the task, the mower stopped. I figured the grass was heavy, so I just started it up again and drove it into the shed. As I turned it off, I noticed that two of the three quarts of oil I had bought for the job had never been opened. I immediately poured the oil in, but now it won't start. This is the model with the Kohler engine. Of course the dealers say it can't be fixed, so I can kiss my nearly $3,000 goodbye. What can I do? Can it be fixed? Will the PB Blaster trick work?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it spins over, but doesn’t start it may be saved, over at least savage for a while. If it’s not tight you’ll have to troubleshoot the non starting first, before deciding how to proceed. I’ve salvaged many engines with some TLC when they’ve been run low on oil. Second, if not seized find a new mechanic and handy man. The mechanic is Being lazy and trying to make a quick buck instead of trying to find the problem.

Mystified

Forum Newbie
Threads
Our timecutter swx5050 has 430 hours and stopped running last week while cutting the grass. The oil was changed at the beginning of the season and is clean and at the full level. Recently the mower began to surge instead of maintain full throttle speed. I think this may be due to a carb blockage - perhaps courtesy of ethanol gas. Anyway I didn’t have time at the moment to remove and clean the carb. My son began cutting the grass and experienced difficulty cutting due to the inconsistent engine speed. The mower stopped several times. Then it stopped altogether. Now it will no longer turn over. It just clicks.

When I shorted the starter solenoid, it seems that the starter is energized but no movement. I don’t think the solenoid or starter are at fault because I removed the plugs and tried turning the motor with a breaker bar on the pulley bolt. No movement in either direction. I ruled out the electric pto being stuck on since I can turn the pulley under the pto. I also jacked the machine up, released the parking brake, and was able to rotate both rear wheels but not turn over the engine with the breaker bar. I concluded that the drivetrain is not preventing the engine from turning.

I am not sure what to try next before tearing the engine dow. Any suggestions/fixes or theories what might be the problem?

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the blower housing off & check for stuck drive pinion
Remove the rocker housing and check that the pushrods are there
After that it sounds like a cooked engine or broken governor jambing the camshaft
Would help greatly if we knew which of the 3 potential engines you are playing with.

And please don't tell us you did not have the time to clean the carburettor.
It is a 1 to 3 hour job easily done after work in place of necrotising your cerebal tissues in front of the goggle box

Paulnetters

Forum Newbie
Threads
Our timecutter swx5050 has 430 hours and stopped running last week while cutting the grass. The oil was changed at the beginning of the season and is clean and at the full level. Recently the mower began to surge instead of maintain full throttle speed. I think this may be due to a carb blockage - perhaps courtesy of ethanol gas. Anyway I didn’t have time at the moment to remove and clean the carb. My son began cutting the grass and experienced difficulty cutting due to the inconsistent engine speed. The mower stopped several times. Then it stopped altogether. Now it will no longer turn over. It just clicks.

When I shorted the starter solenoid, it seems that the starter is energized but no movement. I don’t think the solenoid or starter are at fault because I removed the plugs and tried turning the motor with a breaker bar on the pulley bolt. No movement in either direction. I ruled out the electric pto being stuck on since I can turn the pulley under the pto. I also jacked the machine up, released the parking brake, and was able to rotate both rear wheels but not turn over the engine with the breaker bar. I concluded that the drivetrain is not preventing the engine from turning.

I am not sure what to try next before tearing the engine dow. Any suggestions/fixes or theories what might be the problem?

Thanks!
It’s likely to be one of the sensor switches: 1 seat, or there are 2 pedal forward-backward centring sensors. They can be cleaned out in an emergency by carefully drilling a small hole each side and pumping wd-40 and moving the stick button until all of the dust is out. Then a bit of hot melt glue to seal the holes. Worked for me until the new switches arrived. If you need more info just ask. Happy to help.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good habit: Never start any mower with OUT 1st checking the engine oil.. If you don't know how, learn from reading the manual.