Export thread

Seeking advice on buying my first used JD riding mower for one acre.

Gene123

Gene123

I'm new to the John Deere market. It's becoming difficult for me to use a push mower because of my age. So, I'd like to get a small used JD riding mower --- if I can on a small SS budget. Could you fellows recommend a model for mowing one flat acre? How can I determine the condition of a less expensive, older one? And, how old is too old? Are certain parts prone to wear out that I should be aware of? Are used JD's from the big box stores inferior to those from a JD dealer? I don't know if it's okay for me to consider them both. What price range will I find them in? I can do minor repair, but I suppose parts are expensive. Your advice will provide a good start. Thanks, fellows. :smile:

M

mullins87

You've got a wide open field in front of you with a lot of options to choose from, so I don't know if I can help you very much. You referred to the big box JD's being the same as the dealer models. I have a JD LA175, it is the exact same mower my local JD dealer sold. I'm pretty sure those older JD's like the Sabre were never sold at a dealership, but the L1XX series, the LA1XX series and current D1XX series are dealership models. To the best of my knowledge, the price is the same whether at the box store or the dealer.

If time is not a factor and money is, and you are okay with having to do a few repairs here and there, I'd try to find a 42" mower in either the L series (not sure of the model number) or a LA120. You should be able to find one in the $500-$800 range, maybe less. For example, a coworker of mine has a fairly new LA120 in near showroom condition that he is considering selling to buy a larger mower. He is asking $800 for it. Good luck.

B

bollingball

That is a good question about dealer or big box stores I have no idea if it is true but I read on some other forums that they are made in different factories and not to the same specks. Does anyone know if this is true. One guy said the big box stores can speck them out different. Like cheaper front wheel bearings and things like that. To me it does not seem like JD would do that but I just don't know. As far as what to choose what are you going to use it for just mowing? If just mowing you might want to look at a zero turn. I have both a Zero turn and a tractor. You can not beat a Zero for just mowing IMHO.

Ken

Ken

R

redfish9

JD has got a bad rep for that very reason,buy from the dealer only and you will get a good JD

M

mullins87

I've personally looked at the LA's and now current D's at both the box store and dealership. I can tell you they are exactly the same mower.

talley2191

talley2191

Perhaps a used one from the dealer. In the long run whatever you can afford will likely serve you better if you purchase from the dealer. I purchased a big box la125 from HD and after the head gasket went I purchased a select series model from the dealer. Yes it cost more but their willingness to keep you mowing is worth it. Dealerships get very nice used ones as well.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

I'm new to the John Deere market. It's becoming difficult for me to use a push mower because of my age. So, I'd like to get a small used JD riding mower --- if I can on a small SS budget. Could you fellows recommend a model for mowing one flat acre? How can I determine the condition of a less expensive, older one? And, how old is too old? Are certain parts prone to wear out that I should be aware of? Are used JD's from the big box stores inferior to those from a JD dealer? I don't know if it's okay for me to consider them both. What price range will I find them in? I can do minor repair, but I suppose parts are expensive. Your advice will provide a good start. Thanks, fellows. :smile:
Based on what you've told me, I would get the best price on a 12hp or larger and go with that. Big box or not, 1 acre and being retired......assuming you know how to maintain a mower you'll be fine with big box stuff.
How old do you feel? Can you still turn a wrench?
I'm thinkin you could get financing for a 1500 to 2500$ machine, maintain it properly, it will last 15 years or more.
You are probably only going to use it 6-7 months out of the year, once a week if that.

Carscw

Carscw

Why not get something in your price range and not pay extra for the JD name and ugly green paint

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Garacuda

Garacuda

Last Fall at the tail end of the "yard sale" season I picked up this LX255 for $700 cash from an older gentleman who was moving into a condo. It's probably about 10 years old and it didn't even have any paint scraped off of the sides of the deck. A 42" deck and 15 HP Kohler. Lot's of looking and a little luck you might find one too. The advice to check out the dealer for trade in is also good. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for another one for the wife.:wink:

B

bollingball

With the economy like it is I got a good deal on a Z445. The dealer had repoed it. New they go for about $4900.00 This one had a little over 10 hrs. hours on it and I got it for $4000.00 and they gave me oil and air filter and a new set of blades. plus they started the warranty over 4 years or 300 hrs. The dealer said they have been doing a lot more repos lately Something to look for no matter what brand you get. I would go to a couple of places and get them to call you if they get one in.

Ken

C

CMREED

From a mechanics point of view, used is good only if you are able to do the repairs yourself. A new machine warranty (even an extended warranty) is a good investment for someone who is not very into repair.
John Deere name is only good at the dealer(and for the dealer) I cannot in good conscience recommend a non-comercial John Deere, as many of JD smaller units are made by other manufacturers.

If you are into John Deere as some bikers are into Harleys, remember that you are paying for the name not just the machine.

J

JPR

... I cannot in good conscience recommend a non-comercial John Deere, as many of JD smaller units are made by other manufacturers....

Wrong.

My advice to the OP, when you see someone post junk like the above statement, ignore everything they mentioned in their entire post.

As for your mower, people generally recommend a 42" deck for a nicer cut..and less chances of scalping. My area you can find good used mowers from 500-1000 that will work for what you described. It really depends as another poster mentioned, are you comfortable working on them if you need to do any repairs? It may be worth getting a new ones for the warranty.