Export thread

Seeking advice for new push mower

andrew.g12

andrew.g12

I bought a John Deere E130 rider last year but over the winter we moved to a home with a smaller lawn and one with some decent slopes. At the steepest, it's about 18 degrees. I have already made the choice that it's probably not safe to use the rider on the slopes so I am now in the market for a push mower. Our yard is 7200 square feet (.16 acres). Someone in my family has me convinced that I should get as big of a deck as possible to make the mow fast. I was looking at the Toro time master with a 30" deck but it's pretty expensive as far as push mower go. I do like the idea of getting the job done fast but is 30" overkill for the size lawn I have? The standard 21" just seems to small but the options in-between are limited.

M

mechanic mark

Young man keep researching & reading reviews then go try them out, all that you're interested in. If you perform maintenance yourself that is a big plus. Let us know which mower you choose & don't forget to shop for best deal.

R

Rivets

I would recommend that you take a serious look at Toro model 21387. I’ve been using one on a 40 degree slope, cutting sideways for the last 3 years and I’ve never had a problem. Disclaimer: I’m a Toro guy

dougand3

dougand3

Lightweight and robust Self Propelled (with good tire tread) is good for going up slopes.

B

bertsmobile1

The other option is a stander
OTOH walking is good for you

S

slomo

If that is your picture then walking is perfect. Get a Snapper Hi-Vac 21" commercial. Last mower you will ever buy. Your great great grand children will be mowing with it.

Some or most mower brands, the mower and drive system will peter out before the engine. On a Snapper, the engine will fail before the mower slash drive system will.

slomo

andrew.g12

andrew.g12

If that is your picture then walking is perfect. Get a Snapper Hi-Vac 21" commercial. Last mower you will ever buy. Your great great grand children will be mowing with it.

Some or most mower brands, the mower and drive system will peter out before the engine. On a Snapper, the engine will fail before the mower slash drive system will.

slomo
Do they make it larger than a 21". I feel with a 21", it will take awhile to mow my lawn.

dougand3

dougand3

On 0.16 ac, can't see a big difference in 21" vs 30". What 12-15 minutes? 22" is largest standard push/SP mower. If you want to save money, get used with a minor problem. Eg:
toro22.png

R

Rivets

Trying to cut with a 30” mower on the landscaping you’re describing will be more work, not worth the minimal time savings. Also I would recommend a cast deck over the stamped steel deck, because it will last twice as long.

S

slomo

Yup, the bigger the deck the more turning around you do.

slomo

S

slomo

Do they make it larger than a 21". I feel with a 21", it will take awhile to mow my lawn.
Snapper has 28", 30" and 33" rear engine riders. Another simplistic recipe from Snapper that will last for numerous decades. Around here, you can get a clean used one for around $300.00 to $500.00.

slomo

Beamster

Beamster

I avoided Toro most of my life and when CR conned me into thinking it was the best, I bought one and regretted it ever since. It's heavy, the drive system always seems to need attention as it throw and eats belts not to mention that the cable craps out, it blows debris out of the rear chute even though it's blocked and the motor surged for as long as I can remember. Did I say it's HEAVY? I wish I never sold our 2 stroke LawnBoy.

T

Tyy

Iam a Toro guy , have had 3 over 40 yrs .Currently have a commercial Toro with the Kawasaki Kai , a real torgue monster . I cut over 2 acres , primarily mulching , however bag also later in the season . Buy a Commercial unit and don't t look back . P.S. Snapper also has a quality unit , would not be reluctant to purchase a commercial snapper either ! Pay me now or pay me more later baby !

T

Tyy

I avoided Toro most of my life and when CR conned me into thinking it was the best, I bought one and regretted it ever since. It's heavy, the drive system always seems to need attention as it throw and eats belts not to mention that the cable craps out, it blows debris out of the rear chute even though it's blocked and the motor surged for as long as I can remember. Did I say it's HEAVY? I wish I never sold our 2 stroke LawnBoy.
Own a few Model T 's also ? lol.

S

slomo

Think he is talking about Honda pushers. The kind that shoot grass and rocks at your feet. Great design Honda.

slomo

R

Rivets

Beamster, I’ve never heard of a Toro that has had all those problems and I’ve been working on Toros since the early 80’s. Constantly needing to change belts and cables means something is not set right. Surging is a common problem with the engine and not mower, which is easily fixed. I don’t know what you mean about heavy, as I’m 70+ and have no problem moving around with my Super Recycler, cast deck on property with slopes of over 45 degrees. I’m willing to bet your a DIY guy who refuses to to take it to a good Toro service tech, because they want to just take your money. Blaming the mower is off base in this case.

C

countrydoctor

I bought a John Deere E130 rider last year but over the winter we moved to a home with a smaller lawn and one with some decent slopes. At the steepest, it's about 18 degrees. I have already made the choice that it's probably not safe to use the rider on the slopes so I am now in the market for a push mower. Our yard is 7200 square feet (.16 acres). Someone in my family has me convinced that I should get as big of a deck as possible to make the mow fast. I was looking at the Toro time master with a 30" deck but it's pretty expensive as far as push mower go. I do like the idea of getting the job done fast but is 30" overkill for the size lawn I have? The standard 21" just seems to small but the options in-between are limited.
I have about an acre of grass with alot of interspersed landscaping and tight areas and some 15+ degree hills. I bought the Time master about 6 years ago and love it. Besides a wider swath cutting my time down, the power drive wheels can go faster than I want to go--it hauls--so I go faster= good exercise for my 76 year old body. Cut my time dealing with the lawn by a 1/2. It will go up my hills but I would rather not so just angle it across. Yet not so sure your relatively small lawn area is worth it.

One other thing that is worth alot to me--It starts EVERY TIME in one pull except when I have run it dry for the winter then it takes 2-3 pulls. This is the most dependable mower I have ever owned and one pull is heaven. No problems with the engine EVER. (WHATS MAKES THIS TORO ENGINE SO GOOD? ) 2 blades chews up the grass, so i dont bother with bagging etc. However if you need the 'manicured, professional golf course look you will have to get a professional machine--does a better job than my old 21" s but not pro.

D

DGeorge

I would highly recommend the Honda Commercial Series HRC216HXA.

It's the latest model of the one that I have been using for over 25 years, except mine has the magnesium deck. Never had any issues in over 25 years. Just regular oil changes, cleaning, sharpening blades and cleaning/replacing air filters one time. Starts first pull even after sitting all winter.

These are the mowers most all commercial lawn mowing companies use in the midwest.

S

slomo

I would highly recommend the Honda Commercial Series HRC216HXA.

It's the latest model of the one that I have been using for over 25 years, except mine has the magnesium deck. Never had any issues in over 25 years. Just regular oil changes, cleaning, sharpening blades and cleaning/replacing air filters one time. Starts first pull even after sitting all winter.

These are the mowers most all commercial lawn mowing companies use in the midwest.
Your 25 year old one was built to last. One bought today.......... well...........

Like my 1988 Snapper Hi-Vac with a 4hp Briggs MAX series engine. Those rings are still sealing 100%. After a full year of mowing, the drained oil looks like new oil. Hate to even change it, only 17 ounces, big deal.

slomo

Charlie8d

Charlie8d

A 21” self propelled mower is all I would want for such a small yard.

B

Born2Mow

At that incline and acreage, I'd suggest keeping the rider and going up-down the slope rather than across. So that you don't ever need to stop or backup, plan a path that allows you to go round and round in decreasing size circles. That will be faster, even if you run over some of the grass that's already been cut.

SHE will probably want things done at the bottom of the slope. Having a rider to pull a utility trailer up and down that slope will be a life saver.