Export thread

Seat for my son on my Hustler

M

Mattj2235

IMG_1833.jpgIMG_1834.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I made a post asking if anyone had ever seen a custom seat for kid on a ZTR. I caught a lot of flak for the idea. Well, meet my son, 2 1/2 years old and all boy! And this is his chair that I built for him to be ble to ride with me when I mow. I used two heavy duty clamps to be able to attach and detach the chair from the foot rest. I designed it where the only way to get the chair off is to turn the eye bolts that the clamps attach to a certain way and menouver the chair out. When the clamps are latched, the chair is one with the mower. He won't fit in the seat for to much longer, which is ok. A good amount of force has to be applied to unlatch the clamps. I can feel everything of the chair between my legs. He loves it! He has his own seat with cushions that I made with fabric and stuffing. The only way he can get in or out is with my help. Scary things can be safe with a little bit of thought.

cpurvis

cpurvis

I think you've taken leave of your senses. Being out of the city and on a farm for three years apparently only taught you to take unnecessary risks for others who depend upon you to NOT put them at risk.

I hope nothing happens.

B

bertsmobile1

While I still do not believe it is a good idea, at least you have taken what was posted to heart and done a good job at mitigating most of the unnecessary risks

Roger B

Roger B

Matt,

I think it's a capitol idea! The world seems to be terrified of everything now-a-days and you have made every effort to mitigate possible problems, while allowing your son to be involved in some excitement! Let's face it, just 'living' is taking a chance and what's the value of life if you can't enjoy it!

Best wishes..

Roger B

C

cdestuck

I think you've taken leave of your senses. Being out of the city and on a farm for three years apparently only taught you to take unnecessary risks for others who depend upon you to NOT put them at risk.

I hope nothing happens.

Do you pay a service to cut your lawn? Well you should. Why take the risk of your life or limbs. You never know when a blade could fly off a spindle because of some defect, a engine blow and you catch a hunk of block in your neck and bleed out all over your front yard. I'm sure this guy can figure out the risk/reward factor and never want to see his child hurt. And BTW, NEVER look at your car heater control to adjust it, that would be taking your eyes off the road just for the sake of some heat

cpurvis

cpurvis

Do you pay a service to cut your lawn? Well you should. Why take the risk of your life or limbs. You never know when a blade could fly off a spindle because of some defect, a engine blow and you catch a hunk of block in your neck and bleed out all over your front yard. I'm sure this guy can figure out the risk/reward factor and never want to see his child hurt. And BTW, NEVER look at your car heater control to adjust it, that would be taking your eyes off the road just for the sake of some heat

Excellent advice, brainiac. All those situations are identically risky to carrying a kid on a mower.

BTW, what's the REWARD for carrying a child on a mower? We all know what the risk is--a dead kid.

C

cdestuck

Excellent advice, brainiac. All those situations are identically risky to carrying a kid on a mower.

BTW, what's the REWARD for carrying a child on a mower? We all know what the risk is--a dead kid.

First of all, father and son time is great unless your kids prefer veggin out in the house with his nose in a video game.

And if this child is going to be killed sitting and strapped in this mower then so is the operator brain child. So why risk your own life. Pay a pro who knows how to mow as you must be one reckless mow dud.

cpurvis

cpurvis

First of all, father and son time is great unless your kids prefer veggin out in the house with his nose in a video game.

And if this child is going to be killed sitting and strapped in this mower then so is the operator brain child. So why risk your own life. Pay a pro who knows how to mow as you must be one reckless mow dud.

More advice from the resident safety expert! Everyone, quick, go out and strap your kid to your lawnmower while you mow, for he KNOWS you, too, will be killed at the same moment as your child and you'll never have to see what happened!

C

cdestuck

More advice from the resident safety expert! Everyone, quick, go out and strap your kid to your lawnmower while you mow, for he KNOWS you, too, will be killed at the same moment as your child and you'll never have to see what happened!

No use talking with a person that can't see the forest for the trees. Keep your kids out of planes, trains, and automobiles

cpurvis

cpurvis

No use talking with a person that can't see the forest for the trees. Keep your kids out of planes, trains, and automobiles

No thanks for your unwanted advice; it won't be taken.

Anyone who thinks it's OK to put a kid on a lawnmower has no business giving safety advice to anybody.

H

helomech

Wow, safety nazi's at work would be proud of some on here. Mow with you kid, he will be fine. We can't put rubber bumpers on everything. I bet your kid will remember and cherish those times mowing with his dad. I know I did. Got plenty pics of me on my dads lap.

B

bertsmobile1

No really a safety nazi.
There are necessary risks like crossing a road, there are risks in learning like burning their fingers on a hot iron, or falling out of a tree and there are unnecessary risks.
One of my fondest memories of my deceased dad is sitting on the cross bar of his pushbike being ridden down to the local pool to watch my sister competing in swimming races.
However I would never even thought of doing the same with my kids although they rode their pushbikes to school from around 8, in suburban traffic supervised by one of the ride to school parents.
This had a purpose, it gave them exercise and taught them road safety and started on the path of teaching them personnal safety responsability and the cost was lots of grazes and some torn cloths.
Now days the same school has banned kids riding to school & removed all of the push bike racks. That is being Safety Nazis.

I am very happy to allow some risk to the grandkids provided there is some payback to the childs learning and treating a dangerous tool as a toy teaches them all the wrong things.
Everything in the world is not there for their own pleasure and they can not have what they want, when they want it because they want it, all very valuable lessons.

It is easy to forget things like just how vunerable kids bodies are to things, got some assosiates who like riding bikes with very loud pipes.
Both of their kids are partially deaf but they can not seem to link the kids hearing loss with them being around loud motorcycle exhausts.
At some point in time the kids will link it the what do you say to your kids.
And mine all ride motorcycles as I still do at 67 so no not adverse to risk and definately not a risk nazi .Just try to member how many times you heard "i never thought that could have happens" after some one is imjured.
The bit that is important is the I NEVER THOUGHT. so many people are just plain to lazy the be bothered to have a thought about what they do for the briefest of time before they do it.

H

helomech

No really a safety nazi.
There are necessary risks like crossing a road, there are risks in learning like burning their fingers on a hot iron, or falling out of a tree and there are unnecessary risks.
One of my fondest memories of my deceased dad is sitting on the cross bar of his pushbike being ridden down to the local pool to watch my sister competing in swimming races.
However I would never even thought of doing the same with my kids although they rode their pushbikes to school from around 8, in suburban traffic supervised by one of the ride to school parents.
This had a purpose, it gave them exercise and taught them road safety and started on the path of teaching them personnal safety responsability and the cost was lots of grazes and some torn cloths.
Now days the same school has banned kids riding to school & removed all of the push bike racks. That is being Safety Nazis.

I am very happy to allow some risk to the grandkids provided there is some payback to the childs learning and treating a dangerous tool as a toy teaches them all the wrong things.
Everything in the world is not there for their own pleasure and they can not have what they want, when they want it because they want it, all very valuable lessons.

It is easy to forget things like just how vunerable kids bodies are to things, got some assosiates who like riding bikes with very loud pipes.
Both of their kids are partially deaf but they can not seem to link the kids hearing loss with them being around loud motorcycle exhausts.
At some point in time the kids will link it the what do you say to your kids.
And mine all ride motorcycles as I still do at 67 so no not adverse to risk and definately not a risk nazi .Just try to member how many times you heard "i never thought that could have happens" after some one is imjured.
The bit that is important is the I NEVER THOUGHT. so many people are just plain to lazy the be bothered to have a thought about what they do for the briefest of time before they do it.

True, but the kid is way more likely to get killed in a car, or drown in a bucket, or fall down stairs. The odds of a kid getting hurt riding on a mower (especially in a seat) are so slim it is not even worth discussing IMO. I have been almost killed many times, from being shot, hit by a car, and damn near drowned three times. Crap happens, and not enjoying time with a kid because there is a .00000001% chance he might get hurt IMO is crazy.

I

ILENGINE

Parents and other people can play what if on everything that could go wrong. What is safer having the kid in a seat strapped to a mower, or the possible change that the same kid will sneak out of the house and get run over by the mower, or severely injured from flying debris from the mower. The say don't let kids ride on tractors without a jump seat in the cab, but you follow the safety rules and you break a spring on a field cultivator, and the spring goes through the back window killing your 7 year old grandson instantly.

The experts would like to make it were you would need to stop sleeping and what your children sleep, because they may stop breathing, or fall out of bed, or pee the bed and not wake up, and don't turn away and get your son a towel so you can remove him from the tub, because he could stand up, slip, hit his head and drown in the tub. The truth is there is risk in all things that parents and other people do. What may not be acceptable to one person, may not have other options available other than to take some risk to possible reduce the possibility of other risk.

B

bertsmobile1

True, but the kid is way more likely to get killed in a car, or drown in a bucket, or fall down stairs. The odds of a kid getting hurt riding on a mower (especially in a seat) are so slim it is not even worth discussing IMO. I have been almost killed many times, from being shot, hit by a car, and damn near drowned three times. Crap happens, and not enjoying time with a kid because there is a .00000001% chance he might get hurt IMO is crazy.

Statistically the most dangerous place for a child to be is in mummys car, it overtook the bathroom a few years back and before that it was around a swimming place ( pool/river/beach ).
But that is because most of them spend a couple of hours every day, in mummy car.
I do not advocate the cotton wool approach for either children nor adults.
I have always favoured the "let them get hurt & learn" approach rather that trying to make things impossibe to inflict an injury as the latter encourages a brain dead approach to your own safety.
As a male over 25 I have a fully developed brain so am capable of determining what level of risk I am willing to take, from guards missing on the compressor through to driving a mower without ear , eye or hand protection.
Children do not have the same amount of brain developement till puberty in a girl & around 25 in a male so it is our job to compensate for this till the child is capable of making their own decisions.
I drive mowers around 2 hour a day, testing repaired mowers before they go back to the customer.
Usually it is without any safety gear as I need to be able to hear & feel what is going on and it is amazing when clean up just how many little cuts & bruises I end up with.
A tiny cut on my old hard weathered hand is a deep cut on a child's soft skin.
Ad to that kids get excited, the bob up & down, look everywhere other than in front and wave their arms around , making it difficult for the driver to maintain proper control over the vehicle and that is before allowing for the tendency to watch the child and not where you are going.
The OP made his decision and while I do not agree with it he did go to reasonable lengths to protect his grandson physically but as mentioned earlier there is also metal considerations to the developement of the child's brain & how that child perseeves itself in the world

F

flyingdragracer

Statistically the most dangerous place for a child to be is in mummys car, it overtook the bathroom a few years back and before that it was around a swimming place ( pool/river/beach ).
But that is because most of them spend a couple of hours every day, in mummy car.
I do not advocate the cotton wool approach for either children nor adults.
I have always favoured the "let them get hurt & learn" approach rather that trying to make things impossibe to inflict an injury as the latter encourages a brain dead approach to your own safety.
As a male over 25 I have a fully developed brain so am capable of determining what level of risk I am willing to take, from guards missing on the compressor through to driving a mower without ear , eye or hand protection.
Children do not have the same amount of brain developement till puberty in a girl & around 25 in a male so it is our job to compensate for this till the child is capable of making their own decisions.
I drive mowers around 2 hour a day, testing repaired mowers before they go back to the customer.
Usually it is without any safety gear as I need to be able to hear & feel what is going on and it is amazing when clean up just how many little cuts & bruises I end up with.
A tiny cut on my old hard weathered hand is a deep cut on a child's soft skin.
Ad to that kids get excited, the bob up & down, look everywhere other than in front and wave their arms around , making it difficult for the driver to maintain proper control over the vehicle and that is before allowing for the tendency to watch the child and not where you are going.
The OP made his decision and while I do not agree with it he did go to reasonable lengths to protect his grandson physically but as mentioned earlier there is also metal considerations to the developement of the child's brain & how that child perseeves itself in the world

Wow I now know why the world is the so politically correct and has became a pitiful bunch of crying babies having shouting matches over their feelings being hurt. If fathers and grandfathers are all like the ones on here worrying about a child being hurt on a mower,I am certainly glad I am not a child in today's world. I was born in the 60s and raised in the North Carolina mountains and had thousands of opportunity on a daily basis to become hurt or Killed. My dad taught me to drive the trucks that hauled hay when I was 6 yes 6 and like to know what I became in my professional life, I retired at the age of 44 from Professional Drag Racing with a wonderful career behind me and many close calls that my experience from a young age and my fathers advice to not panic in any situation resulted in not a scratch to me or my equipment. I also raised my son with the same theory and processes and like to know what he is today 2 time world champion race driver at age 25 So go ahead and deprive your children of wonderful exciting teaching and yes dangerous moments. You will likely wind up with a child that has no drive/motivation and serious lack of self esteem. I say thank you to the poster for his love of his child and his willingness to get him out of the house and teach him the value of getting some work done.

F

flyingdragracer

No thanks for your unwanted advice; it won't be taken.

Anyone who thinks it's OK to put a kid on a lawnmower has no business giving safety advice to anybody.

I suppose you wrap your children up in bubble wrap when you get them out of their double padded beds each morning LOL

mhavanti

mhavanti

Flyingdragracer.

Glad to see we have another racer in the forum. As a racer that will race you on or in anything you can conceive, getting a scratch, cut, abrasion, contusion or thrown around inside a car, truck, boat, tractor, etc. regardless how strong your retaining belts and harnesses we know the risks. I agree with all of you the subscribe to the theory that you may want to try and think thru the consequences and design out the consequences to the best of their ability.

Guess what all, none of us are infallible and thus, things happen. When I look at my old skin now and see how many welding, cuts, scratches, contusions, abrasions, etc. scars, it isn't so smooth and easy to look at as it once was. Would I go back and do every bit of it over again, hell to the yeah! And if I knew then what I know now, I'd be faster and quicker than those days. I may even have more cars in more museums, who knows. One thing I wouldn't have enjoyed is my father and mother stopping me from doing all the things I did and wanted to do and so many more things they had no idea. Restricting a kid's ability to think down the road begins by teaching them fear of the unknown. Matter of fact, more folks comes to forums because of fear of the unknown than their ability of critical thinking.

I was taught to swim by the middle son, I'm the third son, by throwing my arse into the deep end of the public swimming pool. I learned to swim under water before surface swimming. I was three at that time. By the way, I also learned the route to the public swimming pool and rode the three miles on my tricycle with an 18 month old sister standing on the back on the steps to get to that pool. The folks that ran the pool would call my mother on a landline for those that are thinking cell phone, ummm, none of that non-sense in 1954. She'd tell them let them stay until dark and she'd come get us and pay then. I'd get a good switching across the legs, butt, back or anything that got in the way of those switches. I'd head back the very next morning on that trike and the sister would be standing on the back holding on for all she was worth. Today, the entire problem with the world are parents, not children. Children have to be taught right from wrong, not fear to try to do things.

Biggest problem in my opinion is that parents wants to be friends and don't drop kick a kid across the highway when their kids fails to heed instructions the first time. Never tell anyone NO twice. Sets a standard to continue doing wrong.

Ok, pile on parents. lmbo

mhavanti

mhavanti

PS:

First motorcycle I had was at 5. An Indian sales sample with 12 inch wheels and exposed gear crank. Rode it alongside dad on his Harley Pan Head. I also drove cars and pickups at 5. Began mowing yards at 5. So, put the kids on the mowers and teach them not only how, teach them "why". My only learning problem was not how, where, when, but why. Teach them why it works. They're smarter than you think.

Another PS, just gave a mini bikes to my neighbors two boys. One is 4 the other is 3 and I'm ready to teach them to ride it. Their mom allowed them to have it, just isn't allowing them to ride it. I don't get that. lol

I did promise to build them a motor cycle stand treadmill for them to learn to ride on. She hasn't gotten back to me on that as of yet. It has only been 5 weeks though. lol.

Later all,

Max

D

Darryl G

4 posts to date and every single one seems to be trying to pick a fight with long-time respected members here...

mhavanti

mhavanti

Not me. Just stating an opinion about an observation.

D

Darryl G

Not me. Just stating an opinion about an observation.
Yeah not you. It took me a while to post and you posted in the meantime.

F

flyingdragracer

4 posts to date and every single one seems to be trying to pick a fight with long-time respected members here...

You must be referring to me. Hello my name is Mitch Stott I am not trying to pick a fight with anyone. I was asked to join this site by invitation via another site I have been a long time member of and as best I can recall have never posted anything negative on that site "Tractor forum"

In my opinion I haven't posted anything negative here either just cant believe some of the things I have read in my first few days being a member. It all started with someone bashing someone else because they thought they were a spammer. In my opinion the person wasn't spamming he was simply offering a possible service to a request the poster was seeking.

Me personally I came here looking for answers to building my own multi deck 12 foot wide mower platform. and if anyone has suggestions as to where i can buy new or used parts for such a contraption or creation then I would love for them to inform me and others of where to buy things of sort. I really don't care if they profit from it or not or if they are in the lawn mower business or not. I am simply looking for information from anyone that is willing to share it. Thanks and welcome to my way of thinking

F

flyingdragracer

PS:

First motorcycle I had was at 5. An Indian sales sample with 12 inch wheels and exposed gear crank. Rode it alongside dad on his Harley Pan Head. I also drove cars and pickups at 5. Began mowing yards at 5. So, put the kids on the mowers and teach them not only how, teach them "why". My only learning problem was not how, where, when, but why. Teach them why it works. They're smarter than you think.

Another PS, just gave a mini bikes to my neighbors two boys. One is 4 the other is 3 and I'm ready to teach them to ride it. Their mom allowed them to have it, just isn't allowing them to ride it. I don't get that. lol

I did promise to build them a motor cycle stand treadmill for them to learn to ride on. She hasn't gotten back to me on that as of yet. It has only been 5 weeks though. lol.

Later all,

Max

AMEN brother. You and I could and would get along just fine. I believe the best lessons are learned the old fashioned way trial and error and the occasional self infliction of pain. There is an old saying I am sure you have heard "if you are going to be dumb you better be tough"

cpurvis

cpurvis

I could care less if some idiot wants to put himself at risk. Knock yourself out; that's what paramedics are for.

But when you want to include someone who isn't old enough to know what risk YOU are more than willing to put them through, that's a whole different ball game.

Example: Evel Knievel jumps the Caesar's Palace fountain. Who cares if he dies? Not I.

Different Example: Evel Knievel jumps the Caesar's Palace fountain with his grandson riding along. I DO care about that.

F

flyingdragracer

I could care less if some idiot wants to put himself at risk. Knock yourself out; that's what paramedics are for.

But when you want to include someone who isn't old enough to know what risk YOU are more than willing to put them through, that's a whole different ball game.

Example: Evel Knievel jumps the Caesar's Palace fountain. Who cares if he dies? Not I.

Different Example: Evel Knievel jumps the Caesar's Palace fountain with his grandson riding along. I DO care about that.

First did you see the amount of steel surrounding the seat,for Gods sake he is safer in his seat on the mower than he would be anywhere else during mowing operations if your concerns are about objects being thrown out of the mower. Heck he could be in his house with the windows closed in his double padded bed and still be in more danger of flying debris coming from the mower that he would be in his custom built mower seat. Why because a objects don't come thru the mower deck then thru the steel platform the rider is resting his feet on. Objects being thrown from a mower come out at about knee high and travel in a straight line until they hit something. Based on your degree of disdain for risk takers I bet you probably wish Evel would have been killed and that way he may not have inspired kids to be a little wild and take risk in their lives.

What really concerns me is you would think that your Evel reference is comparable and what concerns me even more is you said you didn't care if Evel killed himself jumping. That is just cold hearted and not very kind. Evel was one of my childhood hero's.

cpurvis

cpurvis

Evel was one of my childhood hero's.

That explains everything.

D

Darryl G

That's wood not steel BTW.

Boobala

Boobala

I think .. ALL of you guy's should shake hands, then get totally naked, and laugh at each other, .... THEN go on a Panty-Raid, at the nearest College, kinda risky, but probably a lot of fun !! .. :thumbsup: ..:laughing:

F

flyingdragracer

That explains everything.

Precisely.

F

flyingdragracer

That's wood not steel BTW.

Hello Darryl G if you will reread my comment you will see that I wasn't referencing the chair being made from Steel. I was referencing what the chair is attached to and what the chair/child is protected by "A steel mesh platform of which the rider rest his feet on". Thanks to all for this refreshing conversation. Mitch

F

flyingdragracer

I think .. ALL of you guy's should shake hands, then get totally naked, and laugh at each other, .... THEN go on a Panty-Raid, at the nearest College, kinda risky, but probably a lot of fun !! .. :thumbsup: ..:laughing:

Sounds like a way of making friends to me with exception of getting totally naked. LOL I don't look to good these days with clothes on I certainly dont look to good getting into the shower. LOL And cpurvis just so you can rest easy tonight I promise to hold onto the hand rail when I enter and exit the shower. Mitch

D

Darryl G

Hello Darryl G if you will reread my comment you will see that I wasn't referencing the chair being made from Steel. I was referencing what the chair is attached to and what the chair/child is protected by "A steel mesh platform of which the rider rest his feet on". Thanks to all for this refreshing conversation. Mitch

I see...sorry my bad.

What happens if the kid drops his baseball, it gets run over and shot out the discharge (note the chute is strapped up) and it bounces off a tree and hits him in the head?

There was a local tree guy a few years back who apparently thought it was a good idea to bring his 3 kids to a job site to help...until his 6 year old son ended up as mulch in the bed of his chipper truck!

F

flyingdragracer

I see...sorry my bad.

What happens if the kid drops his baseball, it gets run over and shot out the discharge (note the chute is strapped up) and it bounces off a tree and hits him in the head?

There was a local tree guy a few years back who apparently thought it was a good idea to bring his 3 kids to a job site to help...until his 6 year old son ended up as mulch in the bed of his chipper truck!

Come on Darryl G I already addressed this if the kid drops his baseball and it gets shot out the raised chute it will still travel directly outward and not upward. The chute is only intended to keep things from coming out above ground level as it travels across the yard. Again it would have go against murphys law to come out of the chute traveling at a high rate of speed would somehow have to make a greater than 90 degree turn upwards to hit the child sitting atop the mower center. Seriously think about what some of you guys are proposing as a danger.

Next please use a comparable circumstance as a reference. A local tree trimmer working a job as an assumed profession and leaving his son on the ground to put branches into the mulcher or to climb unattended on the mulcher has absolutely no reference to this father riding his son on a Lawn mower safely strapped in a secure and safe location between his legs. Now if you or yall are just wanting to argue I will quietly leave the conversation. Mitch

D

Darryl G

Sorry but there no "safe place" for a toddler on a zero turn mower!

F

flyingdragracer

Sorry but there no "safe place" for a toddler on a zero turn mower!

Yep better not put them in a car and drive to McDonalds because something could happen. Never allow them to ride a tri cycle or bicycle. Never allow them to play sports event so called child safe sports. Never allow them to experience a roller coaster or any number of life's finer experiences. How am I still alive it must be a miracle and yes I believe in God and Jesus Christ is my savior before you go down that road and everyday is a miracle and it is just that miracle and trust in God that we live and he allows us to live.

I will say one more thing, if nothing else you guys provide lots of entertainment. Mitch

D

Darryl G

I don't know, maybe it takes the 17 years of operating a lawn care and landscaping business, the 100+ hours of health and safety training and the experience of being the site safety officer on hundreds of hazardpus waste sites that I have in order to recognize a stupid idea that borders on child endangerment...but I believe it's a stupid idea. If that kid were to get hurt there's a good chance that felony child endangerment charges would be brought against the parent.

By the way, I have 2 dead friends and a quadrapalegic cousin who don't think slip/fall accidents are a joking matter either. So yes, you should use the hand rail :)

J

John Fitzgerald

My son started mowing at age five or six. Had go carts at seven. Dirt bike at nine. Driving a stick shift pickup on dirt roads (with me) at 12. Worked on all manner of mechanical projects with me since he was big enough to learn. Now that he's an adult, his skills with motorized vehicles are such that he can drive, ride, and yes, even even fly anything he gets into. Everytime we visit (rarely now, due to distance), he tells me how fortunate he feels to get those mechanical skills at an early age.

F

flyingdragracer

I don't know, maybe it takes the 17 years of operating a lawn care and landscaping business, the 100+ hours of health and safety training and the experience of being the site safety officer on hundreds of hazardpus waste sites that I have in order to recognize a stupid idea that borders on child endangerment...but I believe it's a stupid idea. If that kid were to get hurt there's a good chance that felony child endangerment charges would be brought against the parent.

By the way, I have 2 dead friends and a quadrapalegic cousin who don't think slip/fall accidents are a joking matter either. So yes, you should use the hand rail :)

Yep my Dad died from massive head injuries caused by falling from the back of a golf cart. However I still ride drive golf carts in the same carefree manner as I always have and I am willing to take minor risk and risk that would be considered very unlikely such as the kid getting a scratch let alone anything serious from riding on a mower.

F

flyingdragracer

My son started mowing at age five or six. Had go carts at seven. Dirt bike at nine. Driving a stick shift pickup on dirt roads (with me) at 12. Worked on all manner of mechanical projects with me since he was big enough to learn. Now that he's an adult, his skills with motorized vehicles are such that he can drive, ride, and yes, even even fly anything he gets into. Everytime we visit (rarely now, due to distance), he tells me how fortunate he feels to get those mechanical skills at an early age.

Amen brother someone else on here that is willing to throw caution to the wind on occasion in order to experience life.

D

Darryl G

Yep better not put them in a car and drive to McDonalds because something could happen. Never allow them to ride a tri cycle or bicycle. Never allow them to play sports event so called child safe sports. Never allow them to experience a roller coaster or any number of life's finer experiences. How am I still alive it must be a miracle and yes I believe in God and Jesus Christ is my savior before you go down that road and everyday is a miracle and it is just that miracle and trust in God that we live and he allows us to live.

I will say one more thing, if nothing else you guys provide lots of entertainment. Mitch

There's a BIG difference between a kid riding in/on something that was designed to be ridden and something that wasn't...something with blades spinning at 3 miles a minute. Get real please!

For the record my kids had a dirt bike and motocross bikes and a mile long course on our property complete with jumps and challenging terrain. We also had a BMX stunt course and downhill course and a small skateboard park. They wore proper gear, I made everything as safe as practical and they were supervised. But that's a lot different than riding something with blades that can maim or kill them in an instant that isn't designed for recreational purposes. I don't see how it has anything whatsoever to do with the worship of extraterrestrials, lol.

cpurvis

cpurvis

Darryl G, you called it right earlier. 14 posts, total, and every one of them is trying to start a fight with someone. No advice about mowers asked or given.

Troll.

D

Darryl G

Darryl G, you called it right earlier. 14 posts, total, and every one of them is trying to start a fight with someone. No advice about mowers asked or given.

Troll.
I did an internet search for ZTR child seats and couldn't find any at all. I wonder why? :smile:

F

flyingdragracer

There's a BIG difference between a kid riding in/on something that was designed to be ridden and something that wasn't...something with blades spinning at 3 miles a minute. Get real please!

For the record my kids had a dirt bike and motocross bikes and a mile long course on our property complete with jumps and challenging terrain. We also had a BMX stunt course and downhill course and a small skateboard park. They wore proper gear, I made everything as safe as practical and they were supervised. But that's a lot different than riding something with blades that can maim or kill them in an instant that isn't designed for recreational purposes. I don't see how it has anything whatsoever to do with the worship of extraterrestrials, lol.

Darryl G let me get this straight you think because something was designed to be ridden with safety gear that if you do in fact were that safety gear you will be safe. I will double promise and bet with you that way more kids have been hurt or maimed riding bikes of any kind while wearing safety gear than have ever been injured by a mower whether they were playing along beside it or riding in a seat or standing on the fender.

However your comment of worshiping extraterrestrials truthfully answers a lot of question for me. I will pray that you find the true God and ask for forgiveness of your sins and ask for his salvation before you go to meet that red colored ET Mitch

D

Darryl G

Edit - post removed.

F

flyingdragracer

Pretty cool that you can communicate with extraterrestrials telepathically. Maybe you can ask them if they have any seats for strapping their young to the outside of their spacecrafts that can be adapted to fit a mower?

I realize it must require a very intelligent man to see all of Gods creations and to have a complete understanding of how and where they came from. You must be one of them super smart individuals.
I guess I have just simply been outsmarted and will go immediately to my children this evening and beg for their forgiveness of letting them live so dangerously all their lives.

Again prayers for you and your family to know God,and I am serious about that. I am not just trying to poke at you in reference to the all mighty God. I will seriously pray to God that you will come to know him before its to late. Mitch

J

jp1961

I don't think a small child belongs on a ZTR mower. Kids are smart and he's more than likely learning the starting sequence of the machine, by watching dad, which may not end well. But hey,,,I've heard the new 3D printers can print a hand or foot.

I'd also like to know what appears to be the corner of a mobil home supported by 3 cinder blocks, from the original post picture,,,really?

Regards

Jeff

J

Johnbt

I hope your son is wearing ear plugs and eye protection. He'll thank you for looking out for him when he grows up.

We didn't know about hearing protection back in the '50s driving tractors, shooting firecrackers and hunting. Hearing loss is usually preventable.

P

Pumper54

I hope your son is wearing ear plugs and eye protection. He'll thank you for looking out for him when he grows up.

We didn't know about hearing protection back in the '50s driving tractors, shooting firecrackers and hunting. Hearing loss is usually preventable.

John, did you see in the first picture the young lad has on eye and ear protection?
Tom

J

Johnbt

I saw this when I clicked on the thumbnail...

Attachments

mhavanti

mhavanti

Mattj235,

That little fella needs a pair of sticks and a pedal to help you out. Intercom system so you can tell him when you're ready to turn, how you're lining up the rows, etc.

May as well give him some real education as he is enjoying the vibrations.

Max

MaxMattj235 Little Man.jpg

P

Pumper54

I saw this when I clicked on the thumbnail...

I saw two pictures on the thumbnail. The one you posted and one that showed his son sitting in the seat wearing eye and ear protection.
Tom

J

Johnbt

Okay. Looked like one thumbnail on my phone. I guess you straightened me out. :thumbsup: I wonder if the little fella needs a mask sitting down that low to keep from inhaling the dirt and clippings? I just mowed 1.5 acres of an overgrown country yard and I'm covered in clay dust, leaves and clippings.

P

Pumper54

Okay. Looked like one thumbnail on my phone. I guess you straightened me out. :thumbsup: I wonder if the little fella needs a mask sitting down that low to keep from inhaling the dirt and clippings? I just mowed 1.5 acres of an overgrown country yard and I'm covered in clay dust, leaves and clippings.

Just hoping that you could see the other picture, NOT calling you out or anything like that. Face mask might be a good idea but we don't know what the area being mowed looks like so that is up to Dad to decide.

Tom

tosiris

tosiris

As a parent myself, I can relate to the concerns about keeping our kids safe while still allowing them to have fun and learn new things. It's great to see that you're taking precautions with eye and ear protection, and I think the idea of an intercom system is genius!
On a related note, I recently came across an article about becoming a foster parent, and it really struck a chord with me. There are so many kids out there who could benefit from a stable and loving home, and I think it's important for us as parents to not only worry about our own kids but also think about how we can help others.
Anyway, sorry to revive an older thread, but I just had to share my thoughts.