Sears Riding Mower Starting System

carlb43

Threads
I have a Sears Riding Mower model# 917272140

Yesterday when I tried to start it, it did not turn over very fast and finally ran the battery down. Battery tested bad so that is why it did not take long to run down.

Changed the battery today. Now nothing happens won't click or turn over. Its like it does not have a battery. Could be a wiring problem. What would be the best way to test solenoid switch and rest of system down to and including the starter.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be your battery has a short in it and won't take a charge. You will have to take some voltage readings. Check ALLbattery connections and cables.

Chuck42

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check your fuse. It will be a 15 or 20 amp fuse that just plugs in. It will be near your battery or starter solenoid.

Chuck42

Forum Newbie
Threads
It could also be a short in your ground wire from the battery. Follow the ground wire from the battery to the frame of the mower and take it loose and clean it and replace it back to the frame of the mower. Could also be one of your safety switches but I would try the ground first after checking the fuse.

carlb43

Threads
It could also be a short in your ground wire from the battery. Follow the ground wire from the battery to the frame of the mower and take it loose and clean it and replace it back to the frame of the mower. Could also be one of your safety switches but I would try the ground first after checking the fuse.

Thanks for the tip. I will try this first and then the ground wire. I bought a new battery yesterday so don't think that is the problem. The old one had a shorted cell according to the guy at O'Riley auto parts. The tester kept telling him to reverse leads.