Scary electrical starting issue on XT1 Enduro46

tlebel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2016 XT1 Enduro Series LT 46 in. 22 HP V-Twin Kohler Hydrostatic Gas Front-Engine Riding Mower. I've had problems for a while where it doesn't engage teh starter, just clicks when hitting the key, but if I turn it back and to start a few times, it goes eventually. But todays problem actually scared me a little.

Was doing leaf pickup and had just dumped, when I ran out of gas. Not too worried, I rolled it down the hill towards the shed (and gas can).. figured I'd see if I could start it and get a little more out of it, then..... a click and starter spins, but doesn't engage the flywheel, just spinning, I turn the key back and it kept spinning! I pull the key and release the brake pedal; it keeps spinning! I get off the seat and it keeps spinning! At this point I run and get wrenches to disconnect the battery, as it's drawing a lot of current. By the time I get the negative cable off, the battery is HOT.

This seems like a huge safety issue if the starter will still turn on when both safety switches are open. Once cooled, touching the cable to the post engages the starter, with key off, seat and brake safety switches open.

So my hunch is that the solenoid is somehow stuck on, but wanted to ask the gurus in this forum for their opinion. (been reading here, but this is first time I've posted).
Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a choice of 2 sources
1) the blue trigger wire to the solenoid becoming hot all the time ( should only have power with the key in the S position ) so it will come down to either the key switch or the PTO switch
2) A faulty return spring in the solenoid preventing it from disconnecting when the power is not being applied via the blue wire .

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I vote for #2.

Threads
I have the exact same issue only mine has a new selinoid and I disconnected the control wire but it still spins.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
On those starters, it used to be that a new solenoid costs the same as a new starter with a solenoid. But that was 10 years or so back.

tlebel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies. I've done a little investigating, and ordered both a new switch and solenoid. Should be here this week, and I'll update to let you know. I also saw a video of someone with same tractor that did a video of this problem; his was brand new, took it to a service center and they replaced the solenoid.

tlebel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Success!. So looks like my issue was the solenoid, but I opted to get into both pieces and take care of the issue, plus clean out the mouse home they had built in behind the switch. Once in the console area, I carefully inspected the cable for mouse damage, and while there appeared to be some, it was superficial and had not broken through to any copper on the wires. I re-taped them and, since I had such a hard time figuring out how to get into the console on my XT1, I made a short video and posted on YouTube in case anyone else needs a little help opening that up.
Thanks
TL

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the video.
Never done it that way .
Usually I pull the fuel tank to access wiring & switches .
For regular debris cleaning a long ( 3 foot or better ) air duster works wonders if done a couple of times a year.

As for mice, a shed cat is the best answer , unless you have a couple of pet pythons .
Lock it in your shed overnight with no food, just water & a toilet tray
Give it a big feed in the morning then let it out
This is what we originally did with cats before they became the stars of funny videos .
That way they will pounce on anything in your shed overnight that moves and eat most of them .
This includes spiders cockroaches etc , which by the way are natural cat foods .
When released with a full belly it will find a warm spot to sleep & digest the belly full so do the least environmental damage to the native populations .

tlebel

Forum Newbie
Threads
LOL! Not sure a python would last out there in our cold winters here in New England :) ... Cat would be a much better, and I could always borrow the cat from the farm next door.