Scag Tiger Cat dies when throttling up

SJaques

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Tiger Cat with a newer (240 hours) Kohler Command Pro 23.5 hp CV732-3014 engine with Walbro 2 barrel carburetor. I was having a problem with it surging at low speeds and dying on me randomly while cutting grass. I got to where when it started to quit i could stop real quick, shut off the blades and it would catch itself and start running again. I checked all of the safety switches and they are good, i have good spark checked with a spark tester, I replaced the spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, air filter. I rebuilt the carburetor still had the same problem so i bought a new carburetor and have the same problem. I removed the fuel tank and cleaned the tank, fittings and lines. I have good fuel flow to the carburetor. I cant find any vacuum leaks. With the new carburetor it doesn’t surge anymore and idles good but dies when i try to throttle up like it is starving for fuel. Any ideas would be appreciated, im at a loss.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Was the new carb bought from a genuine mower parts retailer or was it recycled scrap bought off Evilpay or Scamazon ?

SJaques

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought it from The Parts Warehouse online and i was a Kohler part number but a Walbro carb. It looks to be a good quality carb.

SJaques

Forum Newbie
Threads
So i was testing the spark again today and noticed that when it dies the spark stops with the key still on. I dont know if it supposed to do that or not. It may be a key switch problem cutting out intermittently? Not sure.

SJaques

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update, I replaced the PTO switch, ignition switch, relay w/diode, replaced control module. Same symptoms. I’m at a loss. Replacing the coils next.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Update, I replaced the PTO switch, ignition switch, relay w/diode, replaced control module. Same symptoms. I’m at a loss. Replacing the coils next.
Keep throwing parts at it, or, take it to a shop that has time, a new set of eyes, and experience, and get it fixed. Hope you get it resolved because some repairs can be extremely frustrating.