Scag Liberty Z opinions?

vecter79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just bought a 48" with the Scag SR motor. I wanted a 48" and it was the only option (no Kohler or Kawasaki). Reading positive reviews of the SR motor (Loncin), but only time will tell how it holds up!
What oil filter do you use on it?

evilrussell

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm in the market for a new mower and I'm replacing a 10 yr old Craftsman rider. I began by looking for a quality lawn tractor, but everything I've found under $5k looks to be poorly made. I need a good, quality mower for reside tial use. 1 acre used weekly for 9 months/yr. I live in Georgia, so warm climate. Bermuda sodded lawn, pretty flat...one hill going from basement up to garage on one side. So, I don't need a full commercial mower. I've run across the "prosumer" range of zero turns and they look to be constructed pretty well. I just want something that I'm not going to have to throw away and replace in 8-10 years. I really like the Scag Liberty Z. Does anyone have an opinion on this mower? I've found some reviews and posts, but most are from right after the model came out. Anyone maybe have an update after running one for a year or two? The mower has a Kohler Pro 7000 engine, 2800 Hydros, 48" fabricated deck. Most comparable mowers are very similar. A few others have the Kawasaki FR series engine instead of the Kohler. Any opinion on which of these engines is better? I know Kawasaki makes a great motor, but the FR series seems to have mixed reviews.

Besides the Scag Liberty Z, I'm also looking at a Bob-Cat CRZ 48 and a Gravely HDLX. Appreciate any opinions, reviews, etc. I'm really ready to just buy a mower and get ready for mowing season. Thanks in advance.
It's a beast!
I have one that is 5 years old and I have cleared a lot of brush with it and it just keeps on going. The ONLY issue I have had was the bearing in the spindles were going bad and were all replaced. Just the bearings, not the spindles. Saved a lot of money doing this.
Upon picking it up from the shop, the guy told me "Stop washing it so much! You are ruining the bearings! Just use a blower to clean it"
That goes with all mowers I guess. My "Clean and neat" personality can cause problems sometimes.
My Liberty Z could use a shock absorbing seat though!

13brian

Threads
It's a beast!
I have one that is 5 years old and I have cleared a lot of brush with it and it just keeps on going. The ONLY issue I have had was the bearing in the spindles were going bad and were all replaced. Just the bearings, not the spindles. Saved a lot of money doing this.
Upon picking it up from the shop, the guy told me "Stop washing it so much! You are ruining the bearings! Just use a blower to clean it"
That goes with all mowers I guess. My "Clean and neat" personality can cause problems sometimes.
My Liberty Z could use a shock absorbing seat though!
I added a suspension under my seat, made a world of difference. Cannot imagine mine without it, have rough field to mow thanks to the blasted moles. About 3.5 acres works great, one note - I did have to extend the sensor wiring under the seat to route it properly so as to not get it pinched/severed.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Warranty is 5 years, includes spindles etc.. Water to a Z deck, is like kryptonite to Superman.

Last edited: