Scag Liberty Z 48-18FR

Badgers68

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased my first ZTR after having a basic CC XT1 for several years to start doing some neighbors lawns on the side (2-5 at the very most). While I scored a heck of a deal on a 2019 left over, I stupidly didn't really check the engine thinking they were all the Kaw 21 HP engines, but as soon as I finished my first cut realized it was the 18 hp Kaw. Is there any reason they discontinued putting the 18 hp engines in? Obviously, now I have some concerns (may be unwarranted) regarding power issues, but having just put an hour on, I haven't noticed any power issues even on my pretty steep hills.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No.
Hp is fairly well meaningless rather like on your car.
Every year they come out with a bigger engine just so the next years model can be spruked as better than last years .
kawasaki was doing really good deals on FR691's and over the last couple of years I have fitted a stack of them to my commercial customers mowers.
In every case it was a downsize and in every case the only difference they have noticed is they are useing a little less fuel.
I use a lot of old mowers and most of them are around the 4" to 5' / Hp mark modern mowers seem to run in the 2" to 3" / Hp region

steveyrock

Threads
I had a little Exmark Quest 42 deck and they put an FR691 23 hp on that. Overkill I figured.
Traded it in on the Scag Liberty Z 48 deck with an FR651 21.5 hp. I didn't notice any difference in power.
I think the FR600 18 HP would be enough power also and do a good job.

Honda Tech

Threads
Anymore, if you do the research, you'll find it not unusual for manufactures to list different horsepower ratings on an engine, but what never changes is the torque! In many cases, the different 'models' are the same block, bore and stroke, but a different carburetor. Claim different horsepowers, but the same torque ratings.