Scag Disc Brake Pads

Hayward51

Threads
I have a 2018 Tiger Cat 2 with brake pads worn down. I've pulled the wheel and looked. I see no way to replace just the pads. They seem to be riveted on. Do you have to replace calipers to get new pads ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
According to the parts list you replace the whole thing.
1701524569262.png

Hayward51

Threads
Yes, I saw this parts diagram ($90.+) and found replacement pads ($28.+) online. I just haven't figured out how new pads would attach without re-riveting them on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes they are riveted on
I reline most mower brakes because down here they are a stupid price
Stainless or Monel pop rivets will do the job quite well
I drill the bulk friction material clamped against the shoe then drill 3/4 through the pad with an end mill to get a flat bottomed hole .
Some other techs do the same but also use SikaFlex as a glue as well
IT is a mower , max speed 10 mph not a Farrari max speed 200 mph

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Kinda figured they were riveted but I personally have not seen a Tiger Cat II in my shop yet. Most are just the older units.

Just stainless steel with stainless steel anvils will require a much heavier pop rivet tool than the simple hand rivet tool. I was installing 3/16 stainless anvils version here and had upgrade to a Big Daddy rivet tool. Justifying the tool cost for an one time project is hard but a shop that will use it several times a year is not a problem.

In this case I would have to see the brake pads before I even try such a thing as I would need to size the rivets.

Hayward51

Threads
Thanks for your replies. I considered riveting myself but I noticed it wasn't common rivets.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have an air riveter I bought years ago when I moved in here and had to erect 3 garden sheds around 200 x 1/8 rivets in each shed.
One of the best tools I have ever bought
I also have one of those scissor action riveters and the Monel rivets take 2 pulls the stainless take 3
Aluminium ones would probably be strong enough but considering where they are I worry about corrosion so if you have to buy rivets, go for the Monel .
Also not the mandrels can be made of different metals as well, the stronger the mandrel the tighter the rivet will pull down .
I use monel to hold baffels in motorcycle exhausts .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The op might be seeing those solid type rivets. This type is either hammered or squeeze into place.