RZT 22 Transmission Disassemble/Reassemble Guide

Ironhead Dave

Threads
I put this guide together in case anyone felt the need to tear into their transmissions or just see what made them tick. It is a step by step of my tear down with pics. I also included factory exploded views with part numbers.

This is for information use only and is by no means meant to be the 'end all, be all' I just chronicled my experience.

It is a HUGE file because of all the pics. I will try to scale it down in the near future. I had the best luck by saving it to my computer vs. opening it.

www.ironhorsefrm.com/RZT22.doc

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Excellent pictures Dave... And good information.
Also like you point out, the oil is 10W-40 synthetic motor oil... nothing super special, Cub Cadet Nor HydroGear makes their "special oil"... they use multi wt. synthetic Motor oil.
Good job on pictures and putting it all together, Your file is not that huge, only a little over 77meg, loads pretty fast... and is a worth while view for anyone curious as to what is inside their hydro-drive... :smile:KennyV

Ironhead Dave

Threads
Thanks Kenny. When my mower would no longer move anymore with 300 hours on the clock, my dealer told me that I probably needed new transmissions. I decided I couldn't make them worse so I tore one apart. I couldn't find anything wrong. No signs of wear... So I called Cub and actually got through to a tranmission guy. I told him my symptoms and he said it sounded like my oil was too broke down to make adequate pressure. So I reassembled the tranny, drained the other and put new oil in. Works like a charm! He is the one that told me about the synthetic. So a little time and about $25 saved me $1200. I figured I would share because I have read about so many that sounded just like mine and they spent the money for new. Hopefully I can save some people from spending the big bucks! :biggrin: