Ryobi 175 mph Backpack Blower piston seized

slash5bmw

Threads
A neighbor gave me his backpack blower with the seized piston. He put straight gasoline in the tank without adding oil. I was able to free the Piston but it won't start. Spark is good and I hit it with starting fluid but no go. It has a good spark so I was surprised when the starting fluid wouldn't at least turn it over for 5-10 seconds. Compression is only 65 PSI. Is that too low? After doing some searches I've seen compression numbers around 120-130. Does anyone know what the compression is supposed to be for this blower?

Thanks
Slash

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
A neighbor gave me his backpack blower with the seized piston. He put straight gasoline in the tank without adding oil. I was able to free the Piston but it won't start. Spark is good and I hit it with starting fluid but no go. It has a good spark so a surprise the starting fluid wouldn't at least turn it over a few times. Compression is only 65 PSI. Is that too low? After doing some searches I've seen compression numbers around 120-130. Does anyone know what the compression is supposed to be for this blower?

Thanks
Slash
Take off the shroud to get to the muffler. Remove the muffler and look at the condition of piston, rings, and cylinder. If it is scored enough it is done. If you don’t have experience with inspecting piston, rings, and cylinder for good versus bad condition, this will be pointless. It doesn’t take long to ruin a 2-stroke when straight gassed. I get a lot of worn out 2-stroke handheld equipment come in my shop, so inspecting is an important step that some people and shops don’t do. It won’t run with no/low compression.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
For a two stroke anything below 100-105 psi is bad. Normal compression range is 120-150 for most two stroke handhelds.

I have yet to see anything two stroke to start when the compression is below 100 psi.

slash5bmw

Threads
Thanks guys. I guess it's time for a top end rebuild kit.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Thanks guys. I guess it's time for a top end rebuild kit.
If you can find parts for cheap, or you just want to do it, then top end rebuild is doable. Otherwise, we are talking about a Ryobi backpack blower, nothing special, maybe $300 when new.