Running thick oil in an old lawnmower

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remember Andy Granetelli and the screw driver comericial? I have some of the original stp in a jar. I use it for lubricating sewing machines.

Ha .. I do remember the screwdriver spot ... how slick it made it.
I can see how it would be good in a sewing machine... very slick and clingy, not likely to get slung off ... :smile:KennyV

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
About STP - In the early 70s I had a 64 Impala with small 283 V8 and 2 speed automatic. At the time I was in a Power Mechanics class at college and they had a complete lab including a Dyno to test HP at rear wheels. I used the Impala in a class project as a way to get a tune up. Took readings before tune up - after tune up - and then did nothing more except add STP to engine and rear differential. That Impala got a 17 HP gain at the rear wheels (which is huge when it started at around 25). :thumbsup:

DBlawncare

Forum Newbie
Threads
Remember Andy Granetelli and the screw driver comericial? I have some of the original stp in a jar. I use it for lubricating sewing machines.

iv used that stp stuff and it was amazing but i foung an even better product by pb blaster co. and it beet it 3 to 1 , i almost doubles the compression in my lawnboy 8251

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
...almost doubles the compression in my lawnboy 8251

Hey if you can double your compression you may be able to run Diesel, :thumbsup:...

So what is it, I love PB Blaster and would try anything in their line... :smile:KennyV
BTW LawnBoy made a great mower... (keep it mowing)...

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Man, I can't remember the last time I even thought of STP...back in 1970 the car I had was an oil burner (my fault) and I'd add STP every week or so...remember pulling the tab off and watching the stuff ooze into the oil filler port...nice memory. Thankfully I have learned enough since then to maintain my vehicles better so I don't need STP anymore.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey if you can double your compression you may be able to run Diesel, :thumbsup:...

So what is it, I love PB Blaster and would try anything in their line... :smile:KennyV
BTW LawnBoy made a great mower... (keep it mowing)...

GOOD ONE !!! Trouble is diesel costs more than gas does, 35 cents difference here right now.

Anybody remember "Casite Motor Honey" in the yellow can with the guy in red stripes at the bottom of the label? THe figure always made me think of a convict for some reason.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
We can still get Motor Honey here in VA -- Advance Auto --

When I was fixing up the neighbor's 1951 Ferguson TO 30 the oil in his filter and filter housing were more like grease than oil and he had been using the Motor Honey. Ive changed the oil and filter 2 times now with Amsoil Synthetic and it is getting the gunk out and still running fine.

Rabbitking88

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll look again for STP oil treatment -- maybe it's sold in a plastic bottle. I have seen STP gas treatment more recently so the brand is still around.

The Briggs engine on my Jacobsen mower could use a little help in the compression department.

STP made in Germany can sure mess up a VW engine.

Last edited:

cubcadet69

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a couple of old mowers people threw away, that I tinkered with and got running.
Both have what I believe to be bad piston rings.

I put thick gear oil in one, and motor honey in the other, and they stopped smoking.
In Texas, thick oil isn't a big deal like it might be up North.

They cut good.
Are they worth keeping or selling (as long as I tell the buyer about the thick oil)

Thanks,
Gary
motor honey is not oil and gear oil is too prone for foaming.i would use a sae 40 hd with an ounce or two of stp