Rough tough and agile mower for my mixxed condition of mowing

Heavy Metal Doctor

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Rough tough and agile mower for my mixxed condition of mowing
Hi! New member here - looking for some advice....I finally have some cash on hand and the wife agrees a good mower would be a good way to spend it.
I have about 3 acres of our 7 that I now mow regularly with a 40 year old Cub Cadet. I basicly destroyed 2 "box store" mowers in a few years prior to the Cub since my property is rough. The Cub has lasted the longest, (funny, since it was the cheapest) but it IS 40 years old and I expect it to give up soon. I would also like to speed up the whole process, as well (the bigger issue, really). The property is broken up between woods and open areas and there are tons of corners, obstacles / buildings / fences etc, tight spots and some significant slopes.... the Cub takes me 3 to 4 hrs and my arms are about worn out from turning the steering wheel afterward......so I started my research.....

Some things I learned / pretty sure I need or at least hope to get just by reading around the web:
*Top end residental or lower end commercial top hopefully have something that lasts.
*Fabricated deck, but not too big due to the tight spots - I'm thinking 48" to 52".
*better cushioned ride to handle rough humps / bumps.
*Low CG machine - hillsides and getting under tress and such
*Deck that floats - follows the terrain the best

Torn between front deck or mid-mount - looks like they each have thier advantages.

I looked over a bunch manufactures websites and figured out that one particular dealer about 10 miles from me carries all the top brands that I could want. Of which NONE are the brands you'd find any version of in a Box Store. They have Ferris, Walker, Hustler, Grasshopper, Toro along with some others.

So, before I go to the dealer, I wanted to get some others opinions / advice.
So fire away!:biggrin:
Thanks!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sounds like your best bet would be the three wheel Ferris.

benski

Threads
I can sure see how the box store mowers met their demise...:laughing: I'd put in a second vote for the Ferris, budget permitting.:biggrin: