Export thread

Robotic Mower for a Cemetery

S

slopoke2

I am interested in trying a robotic mower for a cemetery and am trying to find someone who has tried one and find out if it was satisfactory.

Welcome, I don't think the residents there will mind.. (sorry, couldn't resist that)..

tom3

tom3

If it doesn't hit a big piece of rock. Me neither.

But I wonder how long until someone takes off with the mower. Nothing is safe these days, not even in a cemetery. And grave decorations might really take a beating.

NorthBama

NorthBama

If it doesn't hit a big piece of rock. Me neither.

But I wonder how long until someone takes off with the mower. Nothing is safe these days, not even in a cemetery. And grave decorations might really take a beating.
Some of the newer ones have GPS tracking. Seems like to me would be a lot of cable laying around all the markers. The ones i have seen in operation have small lawns and cable run around the borders of the lawn about 2 inches under turf.

Bob E

Bob E

I don't know. Seems like a liability waiting to happen...

1 Lucky Texan

interesting, first, as soon as potential thieves learn that the mowers have security features that make them very difficult to re-use, they will not be much of a target for theft. They beep if picked up and can't be re-started without a PIN or w'ever. Stealing metal urns/flower vases is probably easier - particularly if the robot mowers are on a timer to run at night.

The new iRobot Terra could be a good item since it doesn't need buried cables. I dunno if they can be deployed as a 'team' - so, a large cemetery may be too much area for one mower?

You should contact iRobot - they may be interested in using your situation for a 'test bed' .

1 Lucky Texan

slopoke, any news on this project?

yep.

1 Lucky Texan

bump

cpurvis

cpurvis

An electric powered robotic mower isn't going to have enough charge to mow the tiniest of cemeteries. Unless it's a two-grave family plot.

1 Lucky Texan

An electric powered robotic mower isn't going to have enough charge to mow the tiniest of cemeteries. Unless it's a two-grave family plot.

may have to deploy a fleet of them but, if scheduled for after hours, they run until they need to return to the charging station, then top-up and continue. These type of mowers are popular in Europe and can maintain up to 1.25 acres.

cpurvis

cpurvis

What's 'after hours' got to do with it?

may have to deploy a fleet of them but, if scheduled for after hours, they run until they need to return to the charging station, then top-up and continue. These type of mowers are popular in Europe and can maintain up to 1.25 acres.

Those little things run constantly, since the trim so little, just not my cup of tea.

1 Lucky Texan

What's 'after hours' got to do with it?

yeah, nothing really - obvious I guess. Probably wouldn't want your visit to Granny's grave interrupted by a robot mower lol.