Resistance tolerances for coil on Tecumseh engine VAN 148 E-36142D

TonyH1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Resistance tolerances for coil on Tecumseh engine VAN 148 E-36142D
I have taken the coil off the engine and tested the resistance using a multimeter and following instructions on you tube video
PushMowerRepair.com - Testing a Victa Ignition Coil which seemed quite similar to my coil. I get readings of 4.19 K ohms but I don't know what the resistance tolerances should be. I have a pdf manual but it does not have that information. Can anyone help?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Reinstall the coil back on the engine, leave the kill wire disconnected, and crank the engine with a known good spark plug. No fire replace the coil. Most of those modules don't supply resistance readings and on some an ohm meter can actually damage the trigger circuit part of the electronics.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unfortunately PushMowerRepair .com is about the only Victa videos on You Boob.
They were made near a decade ago by a bunch of high school kids who knew diddley squat about what they were videoing.
The only test you do on Victa coils is to remove the kill wire as ILENGINE just mentioned
That is the reason why the manual has no numbers in it
Which engine does your mower have ?
Victa Power torque ? Tecumseh ? Honda ? DOV ? Briggs & Straton ?

TonyH1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for both your replies. The engine is a
Tecumseh engine VAN 148 E-36142D. I don't know what the coil is - probably not a Victa but it is just the coil that is supplied with this engine - no info about it in the manual. I google searched as I thought there must be a method of bench-testing a coil and found quite a few hits (not just the victa coil). Anyway, I followed the advice given by ILENGINE and found that I did get a spark, although it looked a bit weak. Actually adjusting the position of the coil made a little difference and then moving the mower back into the shed where it is darker showed a spark which looked OK. (I actually did this test in the first place before taking the coil off the engine and got no spark.....now I realise that I forgot to remove the kill wire! ). Mower all put back together now and runs well.
Many thanks again to you both.

Richie F

Threads
Post #5 is spam