Replacement Diode-which way is which?

Jrork2001

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys. My son's lawn tractor finally blew the diode from using a bad battery and just jumping it to start it. We have the replacement diode (and new battery) but the diode that was on it was crimped on both ends. The new diode has a spade connector on one end and a crimp sleeve on the other. Do any of you folks know which way is which on the new diode? There are no markings on it. Thanks very much

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You are going to need to ohm it out or use diode on a meter that that function. The anode side (positive lead) go toward the stator and cathrod (negative lead) goes toward the battery. There will be approximately .7 V dropped across the diode in the forward reading.
Diodes-symbol.png

Jrork2001

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. I put my multimeter on the diode testing position and with red lead connecting to the red end and the black lead to the spade connector it gives me a reading. When I reverse the leads, It gives me a OL reading. Soooo, the red end goes towards the stator and the spade connector torwards the battery? Correct?

Attachments

• FC02E9C9-4DD8-432A-9689-3D18C741A3EF.jpeg
    FC02E9C9-4DD8-432A-9689-3D18C741A3EF.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 9

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Right.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi guys. My son's lawn tractor finally blew the diode from using a bad battery and just jumping it to start it. We have the replacement diode (and new battery) but the diode that was on it was crimped on both ends. The new diode has a spade connector on one end and a crimp sleeve on the other. Do any of you folks know which way is which on the new diode? There are no markings on it. Thanks very much
The terminal goes into the plug and the crimp goes on the wire
If you look at the terminal you will see it has a barb on it
The one in the plug has a similar barb
To remove the terminal from the plug insert some thing to flatten the barb then pull the wire out backwards
Push the replacement in so the barb is in the same place
There is a notch inside the plug for the barb to locate on to.
Some times you need to push the terminal forward first to get clearance between the barb & the notch.

HAving gone through this it is important to check the diode before you install it as some tired employee could have wired it backwards at the factory.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have just work with an poster where the Briggs kill harness that had the diodes wired backwards so yes it happens.

The terminal that Bert is referring to is a Packard F56 female terminal. They went to being GM and now Delphi. They are open barrel type crimp so the standard solderless terminal crimper will not work properly. Also tool similar to fat bobbie pin is used to remove them from the housings as it depresses the retainer pin (barb). I had to get the tools for doing these as I replace a lot of them every year. Now the male F56 does require the open crimper to be modified which is why I got a second crimper.

Jrork2001

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just wanted to follow up and thank you all for the help and advice. Put in the new diode and my son's $100 lawn tractor fires right off and runs like a top! Thanks again