Export thread

replacement crankcase

V

va40yrs

I have a Briggs Vanguard 14 HP engine 294777 1131 A1 that needs a replacement crankcase (hairline crack at top cam recess). Will a crankcase from a 303777 engine interchange?

R

Rivets

It might, but we need to know the code number for each engine. Two different case are available. Also, I’m assuming you need the crankcase itself and not the crankcase sump?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

they both have the same part number for both date codes
1607105876249.png

R

Rivets

I know that, but he might have two different date codes.

V

va40yrs

It might, but we need to know the code number for each engine. Two different case are available. Also, I’m assuming you need the crankcase itself and not the crankcase sump?
Only need the crankcase. Date code on the 294 is 97021211. Don't know the date code on the 303 because the the cover is missing, but it came off a JD LT155 which was made between 1997? and 2001. My 294 is 1994 vintage. Or if someone can tell the the differences,if any, between the two part #s listed above. Sorry - the 303 came off a JD LT166 (fingers and brain were not in sync)

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Both parts lists show both engines using the same date codes.(before/after)

R

Rivets

Your 294 was built in 1997, so the engine was not available in 1994. 1997 was the year of the crankcase break, April one number, May a new number. So unless you know the date for each unit, it’s a crap shoot.

V

va40yrs

Both parts lists show both engines using the same date codes.(before/after)
From this info, the crankcases should interchange?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

1607108126704.png

_---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1607108162018.png

R

Rivets

I understand, but let’s say if both engines were built in 1997, but one in February and the other in June, they aren’t interchangeable.

StarTech

StarTech

Or you could just short block (494057) it for less than a hundred more (539.95 at one site) and it includes all the gaskets for the change over. Shipping weight is 36 lbs.

V

va40yrs

Thanks for your replies/discussion. It appears I need the 807511 but would still like to know the specific difference between this and the 692543.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I understand, but let’s say if both engines were built in 1997, but one in February and the other in June, they aren’t interchangeable.
Ah okay, I see your point now Rivets.?

StarTech

StarTech

Do you really want to go through all the that work re-using all those used internal parts when you spend a $70 and get all the new internal parts. But maybe you like spending a lot time installing used worn parts plus any that got to replace that are bad.

Short block
494057.jpg

vs this crankcase only part.
media.nl

V

va40yrs

Do you really want to go through all the that work re-using all those used internal parts when you spend a $70 and get all the new internal parts. But maybe you like spending a lot time installing used worn parts plus any that got to replace that are bad.

Short block
494057.jpg

vs this crankcase only part.
media.nl
I appreciate your concern for my time and the expected outcome of my efforts. However, I can get a used crankcase for about $60 and may have to spend another $100 or so for gaskets, etc. I am retired and look at this project and something to help pass the time this winter. I have also enjoyed mechanical work but have never done it as a profession. So the used parts that I put into the used crankcase should meet my objective. Thanks.