Buying Advice repair or trade

mcarnp

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a 2002 broadmoor 44 inch hydrostatic with a 16 horse b&s engine. machine has about 380 hours. engine using oil and getting worse. drive train ok i service as recommended. does simplicity have longevity to warrant replacing the engine? thankx

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Only 380 hrs and with good maintenance there must be a reason? By chance a critter didn't build a nest in the engine and scored the cylinder wall?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Always worth repairing... if you like the machine at all...
That is VERY low time on an engine for it to be giving any serious problem... You need to look into why it is using oil... :smile:KennyV

sss

Threads
i always say if the repair is over half the new mower then trade it otherwise repair:smile:

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I always repair rather than replace, and I think you should do the same.

As for oil consumption at 380 hours, that should not be happening if you've kept up with oil changes at regular intervals.

Does it have an oil filter ? If so, the filter has perhaps gotten clogged and pieces of dirt are getting into the oil and scoring the bore, causing oil to get into the combustion chamber and burn along with the fuel.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
I have 2 1989 sun runners and a 82'ish 6000 series tractor - I work in a busy repair sales service shop . A new $650.00 motor is better than a 5900.00 tractor . My stuff is real steel and easy to fix - the 2011's are made of tin, plastic and all kinds of engine failure issues between head gaskets and valve issues .
Re-Power... My machines all have 800+ hours each.