Removing Engine Pulley

NEarle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have recently bought a very old (1999) MTD RH125 sit on mower and want to replace the Engine Pulley.

Model No: 13C3760N659 Serial No: CI109L20048

I have removed the retaining bolt and the bottom pulley comes off very easily.

Can anyone recommend the best way to remove the upper pulley?

As you can see from the attachment it also looks like part of the drive shaft!!

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Many thanks,

Nick
London, England.

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 27

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks well rusted in place. Seeing how you are going to replace it if it was me I would split it.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

NEarle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I've hit it, heated it and covered it with penetrating oil, but it's not moving, till today!!!

It seams that you need a big puller to pull a pulley and this is the mother of all pulley pullers.

Takes a big puller to pull a pulley.jpg

My thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Bottom line is the you have to patient and pull harder than the pulley.

On further investigation it appears that the previous owner has fitted a pulley from another mower which is actually the wrong size, which would explain why the belts kept coming off. So tomorrow I start the rebuild and look forward to mowing again.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My dentist wears gloves like that. I'll mention the puller to him.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, I've hit it, heated it and covered it with penetrating oil, but it's not moving, till today!!!

It seams that you need a big puller to pull a pulley and this is the mother of all pulley pullers.

View attachment 23233

My thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Bottom line is the you have to patient and pull harder than the pulley.

On further investigation it appears that the previous owner has fitted a pulley from another mower which is actually the wrong size, which would explain why the belts kept coming off. So tomorrow I start the rebuild and look forward to mowing again.

Great post, let us know how it goes.