removing a brake hub

jjimgee

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm trying to replace a wheel motor on my Hustler z but I can't get the brake hub off,tried a 3 jaw puller and a little heat got o results,does anyone have any ideas or tricks I cantry?

chance123

Threads
When you have the puller on as tight as you can make it, hit the puller's head very hard with a heavy hammer to shock the hub off its taper

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get a temp gauge so you put enough heat in but not damage the metal. I think 250F is max I would use. The outer flame tip of your source , move around and go slow. Before you heat screw in moderate preload on the puller so you can immediately see movement. Infra red gun or DMV probes or "tempil stick" welder crayon. If the unit appears corroded try the preload overnight with liquid wrench before heat. In the morning strike moderately with soft hammer (copper, lead). Tighten if possible , strike again.:thumbsup:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Was looking at the service manual for the hydrogear wheel motors this morning and it said if the hub/ brake is removed it is suppose to be replaced.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm trying to replace a wheel motor on my Hustler z but I can't get the brake hub off,tried a 3 jaw puller and a little heat got o results,does anyone have any ideas or tricks I cantry?
How were you using the "Puller" ?
They work best if tightened with a rattle gun and given the odd dead blow thump on the end with a big hammer ( bigger the better ) .
If it is really stubborn and you tried Motomans suggestions above then you can make a puller from a sheet of 1/2" plate that fits over the wheel studs.
I like to work with the keyway up, tap the key with a pin punch so it moves & breaks the rust bond then use the key way to introduce whatever goop you like .
Some times I have to resort to citric acid to dissolve the rust but that requires degreasing the hole the best you can first.
I keep all the old blades I replace so generally make up bespoke pullers using them.
There was a thread a while back with vivid descriptions of how some one removed their stuck on hub
You might like to do a search using words like "Brake replacement" Seal replacement " or "hub removal "