Reel Mowers for Small Lawns

adan

Threads
From the discussions I see that reel mowers are good for small lawns. The advantages I see are that it does not emit much noise and that it's clearly much cheaper to operate and maintain. It appears good for the body too, because it forces you to walk.

It's not necessarily safer though. Its blades are exposed. Kids who play with them may still get hurt.

173abn

Threads
adan,I cut my dad's grass when I was a 5yr. old many many yrs. ago.I never got hurt using it and did burn off a lot of energy.they "dissappeared" for a number of yrs. but now see HomeDepot and others are now selling them.I think if you teach your kids the proper way to use one that they are more likely safer than a gas one. russ

AndyMan

Threads
My oldest son bought himself one of these at a yard sale when he was 6yo and used to love to mow our front yard with it. My wife was certain he would chop off toes and fingers, but never did. He still uses it for trimming sometimes.

adan

Threads
What fascinates me about reel mowers is that it does two things at one time: clean the lawn and exercise our bodies. There's an added bonus of preventing noise pollution.

Of course, reel mowers are best for small lawns only. For larger areas I would recommend motorized ones, but with the ear muffs on :)

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
As a kid, oh so long ago...
I put miles on myself , behind a good old push reel mower...
Today I still occasionally get some additional miles in front of reel mowers... When I do I open the back glass on my cab just to listen to the reels...:thumbsup:

:smile:KennyV

Attachments

• Mowing grass.jpg
    Mowing grass.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 3