Rebuild or replace with a new or rebuilt short block? Who has the best deal?

Sorry for the late reply guys. I put the head back on my engine and adjusted the valve clearances to spec (.003"), I guess that's close enough. It fired right up, maybe faster than before.

I managed to mow about an acre or two during the first week of December. My wife said the rest of the yard did not need mulching so I gave up on the rest of the yard and parked it in my yard barn. I have not monitored the oil consumption but the engine never smoked.

So I'm going to assume the head gasket replacement was a success. I've replaced more than a couple of headgaskets on "old school" Fiat engines but never an OHC lawnmower engine.

If this engine fails or blows up, I'm replacing it with a Kohler engine like I did with my Snapper Hi-Vac mower. The same mower that the original B&S threw a rod through the blow when the connecting rod nuts vibrated loose.

Kohler engines seem to be bulletproof.
 
I always thought the Kohlers were great but I have been reading about the "Courage" series being a problem with cracked blocks.
 
I always thought the Kohlers were great but I have been reading about the "Courage" series being a problem with cracked blocks.

That was the single cylinder version and was the result of the cover bolts either not torqued properly or coming loose.
 
That was the single cylinder version and was the result of the cover bolts either not torqued properly or coming loose.

Because the cast mallable iron crank was too heavy for the crankcases designed for a forged steel crank that was 1/2 the weight.
Price you have to pay if you are not willing to pay the price for quality.
 
Back
Top