Rear engine rider 10 HP BS w 28” cut

MoPops

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found this mower on a sale list. It’s a 2004 mower that was brand new. Had maybe 20 hrs on it. It had been stored on its end for many years. The previous owner had hydrolocked the cylinder with gas. Had destroyed the starter motor trying to start it. I changed out starter motor and bought a cheapo eBay Chinese carb for $14. It’s been running like new. Mowed the yard several times. Problem is we’ve got steep hills, and lots of trees.
I run it in it’s lowest gear, but I still think it’s too fast in tight turns. In fact sometimes it’ll push straight when I’m trying to turn sharp. It there any way to gear it lower? Also, any way to bypass the mechanism that won’t let the blade turn when in reverse.
Thanks it seems well built, and does a ok job cutting the grass.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get it up in the air and have a good look at the reverse mechanism somewhere there will be plunger switch.
If I have to tell you any more then you should leave it hooked up :laughing:

As for turning, the problem is the lack of a diff so one of the drive wheels has to slip in order to do tight turns.
the solution is to mow backwards around the tight spots.
It will turn a lot tighter in reverse that t will forward so of course you will need to disable that less than useless reverse cut out.
Just make sure you watch where you are reversing and make sure there are no live power cables laying on the grass before you start to cut.

I have lots of old mowers from the 60's & 70's all with fixed rear axels & I can mow faster in reverse than most modern tractors can forward, it is just a matter of getting used to the tiller action.

MoPops

Forum Newbie
Threads
Get it up in the air and have a good look at the reverse mechanism somewhere there will be plunger switch.
If I have to tell you any more then you should leave it hooked up :laughing:

As for turning, the problem is the lack of a diff so one of the drive wheels has to slip in order to do tight turns.
the solution is to mow backwards around the tight spots.
It will turn a lot tighter in reverse that t will forward so of course you will need to disable that less than useless reverse cut out.
Just make sure you watch where you are reversing and make sure there are no live power cables laying on the grass before you start to cut.

I have lots of old mowers from the 60's & 70's all with fixed rear axels & I can mow faster in reverse than most modern tractors can forward, it is just a matter of getting used to the tiller action.

Just finished mowing. I’ll tilt it up later and take a look for the plunger switch.
Thanks. I’ve been in this house since 84, and have used a push mower until I bought this old snapper. Kind of nice getting it done and not being soaked in swet. Almost feel like I’m cheating. Everybody else around here pays a service. I just can’t justify it. I’ve already paid for this basically new snapper with what I’ve saved on doing it myself. And it’s early June!

Thanks!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Love hearing about good mowers being sold for peanuts. I like them with the valves needed adjusting and they won't start... HAHA!!!!! I'm like can i hear it run? Well the price just hit the floor. Scoop the mower up for a cheap steak dinner. LOL

slomo