Export thread

Rear axle leaking trans oil

K

Kyle53

13AX935T001 - Yard-Man Lawn Tractor (2014) is my mower and I'll be darned if I can find what stops the oil from leaking out. I don't want to take it apart till I have what I need to fix it.
I looked on this site ( https://www.partstree.com/parts/mtd...t001-yard-man-lawn-tractor-2014/transmission/ ) but where is the seal to buy?
Is there a seal? Thanks for any help!!
Ok I am 60 years old, grew up on a farm fixed many things in my day. I just don't want to take the mower apart before I have what I need to fix it. I have a push mower but don't want to push mow a acre of grass. ha

K

Kyle53

Around the right shaft going in to the transmission. Behind the right rear wheel. I figured it was a seal.
Edit to add. I looked at the link you showed Mark. I found this.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07441764...&pd_rd_r=c463fbbd-6df6-11e9-8bdd-799299fc1ec4
Going to try it. Will let you know if it worked. haha

Fish

Fish

Those units have no "oil", just a splooge of semi-solid grease from the factory, and no real seals. Just run it till it no longer runs.

K

Kyle53

Those units have no "oil", just a splooge of semi-solid grease from the factory, and no real seals. Just run it till it no longer runs.

Well this is what I have done. It wouldn't run no more. Seen the oil leak and found a cap on the top. Added 30 w oil and ran good again. But is still leaking. I will try the seal thing if there is one. If not do I need a whole new trany? Kind of pricey. It did leak last year after I added oil but this year worse. Didn't last long. ( as is the mower didn't last long for spending 1400 bucks at menards for it) Maybe I need to add grease? Like 90 w or something?

K

Kyle53

On this there is a seal.
https://www.tufftorqservices.com/instance1/servlet/WebDispatcher?mode=comnet&nextMode=&nextURL=
Well that link didn't work. But all the transmission shown do have a seal.

tom3

tom3

Is that a hydrostatic transaxle in the mower? A K46 Tuff Torq? The same oil goes through the hydraulic system and also lubricates the differential gears. Usual fill for these is a multigrade synthetic oil, something with a pretty high top number, say 15w50 or so. Transmission is not real hard to get apart, big o-ring seal if I remember right. Watch real close as some parts will fall out when you split the case. Be good to clean it out and get all the metal crap off the magnets in there too. Good bit of info here:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/164892-tufftorq-k46-repair-guide-pictures.html

K

Kyle53

Is that a hydrostatic transaxle in the mower? A K46 Tuff Torq? The same oil goes through the hydraulic system and also lubricates the differential gears. Usual fill for these is a multigrade synthetic oil, something with a pretty high top number, say 15w50 or so. Transmission is not real hard to get apart, big o-ring seal if I remember right. Watch real close as some parts will fall out when you split the case. Be good to clean it out and get all the metal crap off the magnets in there too. Good bit of info here:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/164892-tufftorq-k46-repair-guide-pictures.html

Thanks will check it out.

I

ILENGINE

Your transmission has a service advisory concerning leaking axle seals. part number 753-08294A is the seal repair kit for your transmission. It comes with both axle seals, a new sealing cover on top where you add the oil, and new bolts that hold the wheels on the axle.

I also noticed a goof in the parts diagram. It shows the hydrostat tranny under the drive section, a separate section just for the parts diagram of the tuff torq tranny, but at the bottom of the list shows a section for transmission which looks like shouldn't be there since it is the normal gear drive single forward/reverse MTD transmission which isn't used on this mower.

K

Kyle53

Your transmission has a service advisory concerning leaking axle seals. part number 753-08294A is the seal repair kit for your transmission. It comes with both axle seals, a new sealing cover on top where you add the oil, and new bolts that hold the wheels on the axle.

I also noticed a goof in the parts diagram. It shows the hydrostat tranny under the drive section, a separate section just for the parts diagram of the tuff torq tranny, but at the bottom of the list shows a section for transmission which looks like shouldn't be there since it is the normal gear drive single forward/reverse MTD transmission which isn't used on this mower.

WOW ok thank you!!!! I looked for a while and hate to ask but where can I find that part number you listed. I went to MTD site and wasnt found. Sorry for having to ask.

I

ILENGINE

May have to go see your local MTD/Cub Cadet dealer. The reason I say that is because when I looked it up in the distributor website it showed some weird pricing, and won't let me add it to my order cart even though my parts distributor shows 21 in stock, So it may have to be a phoned in order item by the dealer.

Also to get it to work with my dealer parts site I had to put the number in without the A on the end and then click on the sub part number with the A. If I used the number with the A on the end it would tell me item not found

K

Kyle53

May have to go see your local MTD/Cub Cadet dealer. The reason I say that is because when I looked it up in the distributor website it showed some weird pricing, and won't let me add it to my order cart even though my parts distributor shows 21 in stock, So it may have to be a phoned in order item by the dealer.

Also to get it to work with my dealer parts site I had to put the number in without the A on the end and then click on the sub part number with the A. If I used the number with the A on the end it would tell me item not found

Ok Thank you!!!!