Export thread

Raptor SD

M

mich3210

Are there any reviews on this specific model? I know that it's fairly new, but I'm having a hard time finding anything on it. I'm currently in the market for a ZT and this is one of the contenders, along with Gravely and Toro.

Any information that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Are there any reviews on this specific model? I know that it's fairly new, but I'm having a hard time finding anything on it. I'm currently in the market for a ZT and this is one of the contenders, along with Gravely and Toro.

Any information that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yes it is new, but it is almost identical to the model it replaced, the Hustler Sport.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/equipment-news/20898-hustler-raptor-super-duty.html

M

mich3210

Yes it is new, but it is almost identical to the model it replaced, the Hustler Sport.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/equipment-news/20898-hustler-raptor-super-duty.html

Thanks, I got that much. Biggest difference is that the SD comes with ZT-2800's, whereas the Sport came with EZT's. There are some other slight differences, which I noted when I compared the two.

Hopefully I'll get some responses from people who actually own the Raptor SD.

M

MRCo.

I doubt you will find any owners yet- the mower is new, it isn't grass cutting / mower buying time...and not everyone is on ths site! The hydrostatic drives are a big improvement, but lots of small things that changed make RSD much more of a mower than the Sport to me. I think it's going to be a great little unit.

Carheir

Carheir

I am looking at the raptor sd very hard and will probably pull the trigger on a 48" model sometime next month. Have looked at the toro, gravely, john deere and the hustler just seems so much more machine. This will be my first zt so a lot of what I am making my decision on is gut feel and research on line.

M

MRCo.

The more I look at the RSD, the more I like. It's a definite step up from Raptor, and much better than the Sport, which the Raptor made irrelevant, IMO. They were too similar. It even has a bigger engine on the 48" than the Fastraks do....which is weird!

clpolcar

clpolcar

You can get a toro Titan. Has better warranties better hydro drive systems zt3100. I think 22 inch tires. Completely welded deck. I think the Titan zx 48 you can get under 5000. I'm going to be buying the titan MX 54 inch because I will get it for 5500 and cause they stopped making this model in a 48 inch cut.

S

stester

Just to let you all know I purchased the RSD 54". This is my first hustler and I am not a professional. I have owned an exmark and a husky walk behind both were commercial and worked great, but I have a new much bigger yard and I convinced the wife I needed a zturn. I ordered the 48" and as luck would have it the dealer also ordered the 54" as well. I was at the dealer when they took them out of the crates and we were both surprised to see the differences between the two. I am sorry I don稚 have the exact specs but this is what I remember. The 48 still has a lot of the same residential elements that did not impress me much. The 54 has the same front casters as their commercial mowers, and much bigger rear tires which I wanted for my mowing conditions. They both have the same wielded decks, but what made my decision was the price difference. The 54 was $100 more. Even the owner of the dealership told me not to buy the 48? Like I said I知 sorry for not having the exact differences, but if can go and see them sitting side by side, you would not buy the 48 model. Hope this sheds some light on the new mower.

M

MRCo.

Congrats on the mower! Yes, the 54 has wider wheels, and that price uptick is hardly there.

M

mich3210

Just to let you all know I purchased the RSD 54". This is my first hustler and I am not a professional. I have owned an exmark and a husky walk behind both were commercial and worked great, but I have a new much bigger yard and I convinced the wife I needed a zturn. I ordered the 48" and as luck would have it the dealer also ordered the 54" as well. I was at the dealer when they took them out of the crates and we were both surprised to see the differences between the two. I am sorry I don稚 have the exact specs but this is what I remember. The 48 still has a lot of the same residential elements that did not impress me much. The 54 has the same front casters as their commercial mowers, and much bigger rear tires which I wanted for my mowing conditions. They both have the same wielded decks, but what made my decision was the price difference. The 54 was $100 more. Even the owner of the dealership told me not to buy the 48? Like I said I知 sorry for not having the exact differences, but if can go and see them sitting side by side, you would not buy the 48 model. Hope this sheds some light on the new mower.

If you don't mind sharing, can you tell us what you paid for the Raptor SD w/ 54" deck? That's the model that I'm considering. Thanks!

J

jkctn

So how are you liking the mower? I am in the market for my first Z-turn with around 1.4 acres of clear land to mow. I am down to the Raptor SD 54inch at $3,999.00 or the Kubota ZG124E... The Kubota is only a 48inch deck and is $500.00 more with I believe a Briggs and Straton engine and $1000.00 more with a Kohler engine and front lights.... I'd be at a whipping $1500.00 more to get a 54inch deck.... This is why I'm really leaning towards the Raptor SD.... Appearance I believe Kubota wins but I'm obviously not going to buy based only on appearance factors. Someone please chime in.

P

pbjeep

So how are you liking the mower? I am in the market for my first Z-turn with around 1.4 acres of clear land to mow. I am down to the Raptor SD 54inch at $3,999.00 or the Kubota ZG124E... The Kubota is only a 48inch deck and is $500.00 more with I believe a Briggs and Straton engine and $1000.00 more with a Kohler engine and front lights.... I'd be at a whipping $1500.00 more to get a 54inch deck.... This is why I'm really leaning towards the Raptor SD.... Appearance I believe Kubota wins but I'm obviously not going to buy based only on appearance factors. Someone please chime in.

I am in the same boat. I have looked at the Raptor SD and Kubota. The Kubota only has 36 month 0% instead of the 48 month 0%. That reason alone has me looking at a Gravely zt hd 52" at 5099. Commercial components and chain hung deck. But there are too many zt out there to chose from.

S

stumper

I just pulled the trigger on a Raptor SD 60". Delivering it in the morning. I cant wait!!!

E

elrichfarm

I too am looking at the Hustler Raptor SD here in east tenn. Price is 3999, looking to buy in a couple of weeks. This will be my first zero turn and hope it is the right decision.

M

MRCo.

I've uncrated and sold a few Raptor SDs in the last couple days. It's the mower I'd take home or my yard, in 54". The 54" has the 12" wide rear tires that look awesome, 48" has 8". That's fine...but the 20x12" are just mean looking! An earlier post suggested that the 48" has lesser castor forks, but they are the same as the 54"- the 3/8 solid steel ones found on the Fastrak. The difference is the tires, 5 vs 6.5" width. The RSD is a very nice mower, the $1200 uptick from a Raptor is immediately visible...you get a lot more mower. For those mowing near lots of bushes, etc. I recommend the engine guard option. It's $70, not a lot. But the carb, linkages and fuel solenoid wires are on the rear of the mower...pricey to fix. Just an idea.

M

MontecarloSS

Home Depot sells the Hustler Raptor line on there web site. I guess this will be good or bad thing for Hustler? Link below.:thumbdown:

Hustler - Zero Turn Riding Mowers - Riding Lawn Mowers - Lawn Mowers - Outdoor Power Equipment - Outdoors at The Home Depot

M

MRCo.

I just pulled the trigger on a Raptor SD 60". Delivering it in the morning. I cant wait!!!

Any review?

B

bstan21

I picked up a 60" SD yesterday and my dealer delivered it last night as he was driving through town anyway. He is going to drop off the front forks when he gets them, I guess they are backed up with orders for those. Anyway, important to note for me is that this seat is only on the 60" Raptor SD, the other models have the original Raptor seat with the addition of arm rests. The seat is very comfortable. Also, the engine guard is only standard on the 60".

Originally I was looking at a 54" but with these two differences I was pushed toward the 60" and the dealer agreed to nearly the same money. Here are some pics! Looking forward to getting it out of the garage when the grass greens up! Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

T

TennKent

I ordered mine tonight through Lowes. I ordered the 54". The nice thing is that you can contact customer service and tell them that you want to get the "new to the neighborhood" coupon and get 10% off your purchase. Mine was $3600 before tax. Also got them to throw in free delivery because Home Depot was offering free delivery on theirs.

Kent

J

JimDawg

Hey guys,

New member to the forum and a new owner of the Hustler Raptor SD with a 54" deck (it is being delivered in a couple of hours). I have a little more than an acre to mow and I'm looking forward to cutting my mowing time down from over 2 hours with an cub cadet 122. While I have experience with commercial/diesel Kubota and Deere tractors, this is my first zero turn.

Thanks,
Jim

B

bucsfan714

What spindles are on the RSD?

Ric

Ric

What spindles are on the RSD?

Aluminum w/ 1.0" shafts and sealed ball bearings with triple protection seals.

B

bucsfan714

Aluminum w/ 1.0" shafts and sealed ball bearings with triple protection seals.

Thanks, so is there a benefit to the cast iron spindles on some mowers?

C

Canoe1

I recently bought the Raptor SD and I'm very satisfied with the look of my 3 acres. I thought as rough as my property is that there would be more scalping but it really did a nice job. The only complaint I have is the deck spring broke at only 5 hours. Dealership replaced it with no problem but I apparently did not have the deck belt on properly. I'm guessing maybe a twist and the belt broke 2 hours later. I'm going back to dealership this morning to get a new one. I'm not sure the actual size of this belt as I haven't found a cross reference size to the part #604817. I hope this is not a re-occurring problem with this deck.

Another thing I should note is a comment from my neighbor who has been mowing his 3 acres with a Club Cadet ZTR. He could not tell a difference between the sound when the mower was engaged or disengaged. Smooth running.

L

lsb

I picked up the Raptor SD 54' on Saturday. Used it for the first time several evenings ago and loved it. Did have a few small bolts that needed to be retighted after mowing, but overall, performance was great. Wasn't sure between the Raptor and the SD, but decided on the SD due to the height, comfort of the seat, foot lever to raise the deck and the additional horsepower. Also in the deciding factor was the serviceable transmission.

Overall, after one time mowing, I am happy. I'll update with any new developments going foward.

R

RaptorSD

I recently bought the Raptor SD and I'm very satisfied with the look of my 3 acres. I thought as rough as my property is that there would be more scalping but it really did a nice job. The only complaint I have is the deck spring broke at only 5 hours. Dealership replaced it with no problem but I apparently did not have the deck belt on properly. I'm guessing maybe a twist and the belt broke 2 hours later. I'm going back to dealership this morning to get a new one. I'm not sure the actual size of this belt as I haven't found a cross reference size to the part #604817. I hope this is not a re-occurring problem with this deck.

Another thing I should note is a comment from my neighbor who has been mowing his 3 acres with a Club Cadet ZTR. He could not tell a difference between the sound when the mower was engaged or disengaged. Smooth running.

My RaptorSD deck spring distended today at 8hrs, belt shredded also. The grass was pretty tall but I finished up the job fine on my Craftsman LT2000 :ashamed:

Now maybe the blades are dull but I'm pretty disappointed it couldn't handle this I was not 20mins into it. Maybe it's not made for this, then again I know the Craftsman is not.

R

RaptorSD

I picked up the Raptor SD 54' on Saturday. Used it for the first time several evenings ago and loved it. Did have a few small bolts that needed to be retighted after mowing, but overall, performance was great. Wasn't sure between the Raptor and the SD, but decided on the SD due to the height, comfort of the seat, foot lever to raise the deck and the additional horsepower. Also in the deciding factor was the serviceable transmission.

Overall, after one time mowing, I am happy. I'll update with any new developments going foward.

Mind telling us what bolts to check? I checked over most I think, didn't find anything. Thanks

M

MRCo.

FYI folks, all SDs are being recalled for an extra spacer fitting to the clutch due to bearing failures. Notice came to the shop today. It's a quick fix by your dealer.

L

lsb

Mind telling us what bolts to check? I checked over most I think, didn't find anything. Thanks

One of the arms came loose at the shaft. I was mowing and realized that i was needing to push much harder on the to turn right. Looked down and the arm's bolt was competely loose. Nothing major, but thought it strange, being as this is brand spankin' new!

djdicetn

djdicetn

You can get a toro Titan. Has better warranties better hydro drive systems zt3100. I think 22 inch tires. Completely welded deck. I think the Titan zx 48 you can get under 5000. I'm going to be buying the titan MX 54 inch because I will get it for 5500 and cause they stopped making this model in a 48 inch cut.

I agree completely...and I would get the Toro Titan MX series before buying the new RSD offering from Hustler. Don't get me wrong, Hustler don't make no junk....but slapping some ZT2800 serviceable trannies and the other "improvements" over the Hustler Sport may make it a better Residential offering from Hustler but overall it is still pale in comparison to some other high-end Residential ZTR's. I almost pulled the trigger myself on a 2012 Toro Titan MX5480 which IMHO is one of the "most Commercially built" Residential ZTR's on the market and has a best-in-class Warranty to back it up. I also really liked the Toro Z-Master 1000 entry level Commercial series, but ended up getting my Gravely which was a better deal and had everything I was looking for(I had set my mind on an entry-level Commercial). Again, IMHO you would have to spend considerably more money(and get a FAsTrak or FasTrak SD) to match the quality of the Toro Titan.

djdicetn

djdicetn

My RaptorSD deck spring distended today at 8hrs, belt shredded also. The grass was pretty tall but I finished up the job fine on my Craftsman LT2000 :ashamed:

Now maybe the blades are dull but I'm pretty disappointed it couldn't handle this I was not 20mins into it. Maybe it's not made for this, then again I know the Craftsman is not.

Sounds like that recall for the clutch assembly is a little more serious than is being stated by some:0(
Again, I am always leery of buying a new model of "anything" the first season it is introduced and this sounds like a MAJOR quality control problem on the side of Hustler. Hopefully, with as new as your RSD is, your dealer will make all necessary repairs under warranty and you won't have any more problems. I would question your dealer as to why they did not notify you of the recall and have you bring it in before something like this happened at 8 hours!!! My dealer contacted me immediately when there was a recall on the fuel filter used on my Kawasaki FX691V engine. Let's hope Hustler doesn't become the next GM concerning lack of actions related to defects in their products. Because of the low-ball pricing of the new Raptor series they are selling like hotcakes but if a lot of new owners have an experience like yours the Raptor won't last two years.

djdicetn

djdicetn

I've uncrated and sold a few Raptor SDs in the last couple days. It's the mower I'd take home or my yard, in 54". The 54" has the 12" wide rear tires that look awesome, 48" has 8". That's fine...but the 20x12" are just mean looking! An earlier post suggested that the 48" has lesser castor forks, but they are the same as the 54"- the 3/8 solid steel ones found on the Fastrak. The difference is the tires, 5 vs 6.5" width. The RSD is a very nice mower, the $1200 uptick from a Raptor is immediately visible...you get a lot more mower. For those mowing near lots of bushes, etc. I recommend the engine guard option. It's $70, not a lot. But the carb, linkages and fuel solenoid wires are on the rear of the mower...pricey to fix. Just an idea.

I'm already becoming a little disenchanted with Hustler's new offering....but are you kidding, the Raptor SD doesn't come standard with an engine guard???? Sounds like a "hook" similar to the Bad Boy dealer informing me a ROPS was $250 extra....when all of the literature in the BB product catalog showed the Outlaw with a foldable ROPS and no mention of it being "extra". But you are right....I wouldn't buy a ZTR without an engine compartment guard.

P.S.
After looking at the Hustler website, I'm a little confused about your statement about the engine guard option. The pictures on the Hustler website seem to show the Raptor SD "with" an engine guard. Is that NOT how they come delivered??? BTW, the plastic spindle pulley covers make this look even "more Residential grade":0(

djdicetn

djdicetn

Home Depot sells the Hustler Raptor line on there web site. I guess this will be good or bad thing for Hustler? Link below.:thumbdown:

Hustler - Zero Turn Riding Mowers - Riding Lawn Mowers - Lawn Mowers - Outdoor Power Equipment - Outdoors*at The Home Depot

I wouldn't consider the fact that the Raptor can be purchased at a big box retailer as a "plus":0(

djdicetn

djdicetn

Thanks, so is there a benefit to the cast iron spindles on some mowers?

Most Commercial and Industrial ZTR's have cast iron spindles....much heavier duty than aluminum. They have used them(cast iron) on high dollar farming equipment for years.

djdicetn

djdicetn

WOW...deck spring at 5 hours. There appear to be a LOT of "early" repairs going on with the new Raptor series(just in this thread alone...and they haven't been out very long). I'm becoming more & more disenchanted and reluctant to recommend them:0(

clpolcar

clpolcar

I looked at the RSD and didn't care for it at all. Looks like lite commercial but cheaper built. I bought a ferris is600z. Low grade one but with 3100 or 3400 drive system. Better deck. Suspension. Wide tires. Great mower so far with 10 hours on it. I would spend a little extra to get a better mower

djdicetn

djdicetn

I looked at the RSD and didn't care for it at all. Looks like lite commercial but cheaper built. I bought a ferris is600z. Low grade one but with 3100 or 3400 drive system. Better deck. Suspension. Wide tires. Great mower so far with 10 hours on it. I would spend a little extra to get a better mower

I'm not a big Ferris fan(manufactured by Briggs is a turn-off) but I would buy one before getting a RSD based upon what I've seen thus far posted by new owners having problems with the RSD(and I have always read good user comments about the Ferris).

P.S.
Your comment about spending a little extra to get a better mower reminds me of what my Grandpa always said....."you get exactly what you pay for" and if you buy cheap 90% of the time you get cheap.

clpolcar

clpolcar

I'm not a big Ferris fan(manufactured by Briggs is a turn-off) but I would buy one before getting a RSD based upon what I've seen thus far posted by new owners having problems with the RSD(and I have always read good user comments about the Ferris).

I'm not a fan of Briggs motors. Love the Kawasaki engines. I'll buy ferris until they only put Briggs engines in them. So far I love my mower. Glad i went with it.

S

stumper

I currently have 8.6 hours on my 60 " RSD and have had no issues at all. It took me a bit to get used to sitting on top of the deck as opposed to having the deck out front on my old 72" hustler. So far I wouldn't trade it for nothing!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

chemingthroughtheleather

chemingthroughtheleather

Keep the faith bro,I want to believe!

M

MRCo.

So 3 people on here have issues with their mowers that are being addressed under warranty and recall fix is being implemented, but yet some people would have you believe it's mower Armageddon... Please. In my distributors territory alone there have been 850 RSDs sold this spring. Mountains from molehills.

chemingthroughtheleather

chemingthroughtheleather

On a lighter note...I need some basic info. on mower trailers,I will be useing the RSD 54".My questions for you experienced folks..What should I be looking for and where to buy/cost.I do not have a trailer hitch currently.I would not need to use this for any other reason other than hauling mowers or beer!:biggrin:

djdicetn

djdicetn

So 3 people on here have issues with their mowers that are being addressed under warranty and recall fix is being implemented, but yet some people would have you believe it's mower Armageddon... Please. In my distributors territory alone there have been 850 RSDs sold this spring. Mountains from molehills.

After 42 years in Information Systems, I am well aware of the statistical implications. Now if all 850 owners in your territory were ALL on this forum and posted their likes/dislikes and/or problems encountered with their new RSD's we could get a much better overall picture of the percentage of incidents and overall quality at delivery of the RSD's. The problem, as I see it, is that Hustler is aware of a proven defect and the dealers are allowing buyers to take delivery of ZTR's that have not had the recall repair performed. There have been many "new model introductions" in recent years, like the Kubota Kommander, the Husqvarna M-ZT 52, etc. and none of those had issues with belts or tension springs breaking upon the first few mowings. Or at least none were reported on this forum(again, we understand that not everyone that buys a new ZTR is on this forum). Users who come here when shopping for a new ZTR are ready to spend several thousand dollars on a machine and by all accounts they should expect it to perform without problems on day one. To me, nothing would be more frustrating than shelling out $4k-$5k for a ZTR and the first time I mow with it something like a belt or tension spring breaking requiring it to be returned to the dealer for a repair. As "minor" as you seem to think that inconvenience is, neither you nor I are the 3 owners that experienced that. To err on the side of caution, I can only ensure that any threads that I respond to where a user is considering buying a RSD that I point out to them price point comparisons of the RSD components to other similarly priced ZTR's as well as reported problems by new owners. It's up to them to weigh out the significance of the reported problems and discuss the recall with the Hustler dealer they are dealing with.

All that being said......I have recommended Hustler ZTR's in the past(I came close to buying a FasTrak SD myself) and have stated many times that "Hustler don't make no junk". One would think that by now all Hustler dealers would have contacted "ALL" of their customers who purchased RSD's and have implemented the recall fix. We are aware of at least 3 dealers who did not:0(

And, like I advised a user who was awaiting delivery, I see absolutely no reason why a dealer would not correct any recall repairs on a RSD and ensure the new owner it had been done. Pre-delivery setup is one of the most important reasons to buy from a dealer versus a big box store. When I picked up my new Gravely, I found "white chalk mark X's" at every point where a bolt was where they had re-torqued every nut on the machine. The sales manager told me that they spend no less than 4 hours going over every machine and checking everything prior to delivery. And it would be VERY disappointing if Hustler has not made the necessary changes to QC on the assembly line to rectify the clutch assembly problem for any new RSD's coming off the assembly line. One would expect no less from a leader in the industry like Hustler. I guess reported problems with new RSD's will reveal that over the next few weeks and months.

djdicetn

djdicetn

On a lighter note...I need some basic info. on mower trailers,I will be useing the RSD 54".My questions for you experienced folks..What should I be looking for and where to buy/cost.I do not have a trailer hitch currently.I would not need to use this for any other reason other than hauling mowers or beer!:biggrin:

Here are links to a couple of threads discussing trailers. If you post your questions there you may get better feedback more quickly from other users monitoring those posts. I'd be glad to share my experience shopping for trailers and buying a Lone Wolf trailer for my ZTR. I am VERY happy with it. Be leery of the cheap trailers you see at big box retailers. Check out these threads and good luck finding exactly what you need!!!

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/comme...iler-suggestions.html?highlight=trailer+setup

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/comme...ur-trailer-setup.html?highlight=trailer+setup

Ric

Ric

After 42 years in Information Systems, I am well aware of the statistical implications. Now if all 850 owners in your territory were ALL on this forum and posted their likes/dislikes and/or problems encountered with their new RSD's we could get a much better overall picture of the percentage of incidents and overall quality at delivery of the RSD's. The problem, as I see it, is that Hustler is aware of a proven defect and the dealers are allowing buyers to take delivery of ZTR's that have not had the recall repair performed. There have been many "new model introductions" in recent years, like the Kubota Kommander, the Husqvarna M-ZT 52, etc. and none of those had issues with belts or tension springs breaking upon the first few mowings. Or at least none were reported on this forum(again, we understand that not everyone that buys a new ZTR is on this forum). Users who come here when shopping for a new ZTR are ready to spend several thousand dollars on a machine and by all accounts they should expect it to perform without problems on day one. To me, nothing would be more frustrating than shelling out $4k-$5k for a ZTR and the first time I mow with it something like a belt or tension spring breaking requiring it to be returned to the dealer for a repair. As "minor" as you seem to think that inconvenience is, neither you nor I are the 3 owners that experienced that. To err on the side of caution, I can only ensure that any threads that I respond to where a user is considering buying a RSD that I point out to them price point comparisons of the RSD components to other similarly priced ZTR's as well as reported problems by new owners. It's up to them to weigh out the significance of the reported problems and discuss the recall with the Hustler dealer they are dealing with.

All that being said......I have recommended Hustler ZTR's in the past(I came close to buying a FasTrak SD myself) and have stated many times that "Hustler don't make no junk". One would think that by now all Hustler dealers would have contacted "ALL" of their customers who purchased RSD's and have implemented the recall fix. We are aware of at least 3 dealers who did not:0(

And, like I advised a user who was awaiting delivery, I see absolutely no reason why a dealer would not correct any recall repairs on a RSD and ensure the new owner it had been done. Pre-delivery setup is one of the most important reasons to buy from a dealer versus a big box store. When I picked up my new Gravely, I found "white chalk mark X's" at every point where a bolt was where they had re-torqued every nut on the machine. The sales manager told me that they spend no less than 4 hours going over every machine and checking everything prior to delivery. And it would be VERY disappointing if Hustler has not made the necessary changes to QC on the assembly line to rectify the clutch assembly problem for any new RSD's coming off the assembly line. One would expect no less from a leader in the industry like Hustler. I guess reported problems with new RSD's will reveal that over the next few weeks and months.

I think what MrCo is saying is is true it's mountains from molehills. The things that are happening with the RSD are thing that can happen with any mower manufacturer with a new mower or even an older mower that"s been on the market for a while. The thing with belts or tension springs breaking upon the first few mowing is nothing new and it's not necessarily Hustler with the problem.
My Toro Grandstand has been the greatest mower I've ever run but it broke a belt and a tension spring the third time out, less than 8 hrs and I just took it back to the shop that morning and I was mowing that afternoon and Toro fixed the thing under warranty just like Hustler will fix there's and with the fact there is a recall apparently seems like Hustler is taking care of the problem and probably informed there dealers of the fix. I really think like MRCo said your making mountains out of molehills.

N

neverenoughtime

Lol, I have to agree. I have around 10 hours on my Raptor SD 60" and am loving it more every time I mow. Not had a single problem once. Called my Dealer they said it was a simple fix. Picked it up the next day. He said by far the Raptor Sd had been his number one seller this year so far. Great mower for the price.:laughing:

djdicetn

djdicetn

I think what MrCo is saying is is true it's mountains from molehills. The things that are happening with the RSD are thing that can happen with any mower manufacturer with a new mower or even an older mower that"s been on the market for a while. The thing with belts or tension springs breaking upon the first few mowing is nothing new and it's not necessarily Hustler with the problem.
My Toro Grandstand has been the greatest mower I've ever run but it broke a belt and a tension spring the third time out, less than 8 hrs and I just took it back to the shop that morning and I was mowing that afternoon and Toro fixed the thing under warranty just like Hustler will fix there's and with the fact there is a recall apparently seems like Hustler is taking care of the problem and probably informed there dealers of the fix. I really think like MRCo said your making mountains out of molehills.
Well, I will defer to those of you with more experience with ZTR's than I have and I may be having a knee jerk reaction to the problem reports. If indeed Hustler has this under their thumb, reports of similar problems should dwindle to nothing over the next several weeks/months. Sooooo, should these problems even be mentioned to other users that are considering a purchase of a RSD or just simply ignored?????

Ric

Ric

Well, I will defer to those of you with more experience with ZTR's than I have and I may be having a knee jerk reaction to the problem reports. If indeed Hustler has this under their thumb, reports of similar problems should dwindle to nothing over the next several weeks/months. Sooooo, should these problems even be mentioned to other users that are considering a purchase of a RSD or just simply ignored?????

I guess that's where we differ on the situation. I don't view these things as a problem, yeah it may be a little inconvenience but it's a simple fix like one dealer said. From what I understand were talking about a simple spring and belt replacement which I carry a spare belt in the truck for my ZTR and have done the replacement a hand full of times. The thing I don't see is blaming Hustler for something they have no control of or over.

P

padave65

What do you think? Raptor SD54 with free delivery and engine guard for 3868+tax or Toro MX5060 for 3775 delivered plus tax?

Did anyone pull one of those little trailers from Sears before with their raptor sd? Does not look like they put enough space between the hole and the back of the trailer.

J

JimDawg

Have somewhere between 4 and 5 hours on my Raptor SD 54" and I have no complaints. Both the quality of cut and efficiency of the mower are impressive..oh... and the Kawasaki motor is as powerful and quiet as other reviewers have posted.

I would buy one again.

~ Jim

chemingthroughtheleather

chemingthroughtheleather

I'm disappointed! Received word from delivery service today(was hopeful they would deliver!),they will not deliver to my area until the 23rd.I'm really bummed as my grass is getting really tall with the rain we've had.I have resorted to running over the highest parts with my car so to make a path.I know we are talking at least two mowings to make it look presentable to my leering neighbors.If my neighbor with the Dixie Chopper offers to cut I will accept at this point.He loves to show off....but I'll swallow my pride at this point.:mur::mur::mur:

D

Dothehustle

I'm disappointed! Received word from delivery service today(was hopeful they would deliver!),they will not deliver to my area until the 23rd.I'm really bummed as my grass is getting really tall with the rain we've had.I have resorted to running over the highest parts with my car so to make a path.I know we are talking at least two mowings to make it look presentable to my leering neighbors.If my neighbor with the Dixie Chopper offers to cut I will accept at this point.He loves to show off....but I'll swallow my pride at this point.:mur::mur::mur:

That stinks, from what you posted earlier you male be able to bale your grass by then...if you wait to mow it take pics and video or at the very least give a review......I am still loving my raptor sd I mowed my pond dam with it and it powered right up the dam much better than my two previous mowers keep in mind it had not been mowed yet this year when the rest of the property was on mow number 5

R

RaptorSD

Anyone know if theres an iron/tapered bearing spindle that fits the raptor?

djdicetn

djdicetn

Anyone know if theres an iron/tapered bearing spindle that fits the raptor?

May I ask why you would be considering replacing the spindles on a new ZTR????

R

RaptorSD

May I ask why you would be considering replacing the spindles on a new ZTR????

I sometimes cut a wooded lot, rocks limbs stumps mines, impossible to catch everything. Although I'm sure the aluminum housing is ok, a tapered roller bearing should outlast the ball bearing in these conditions(and not take out the housing when it does let go). stock spindles are ok for 99% of raptor owners, change the bearings when they get rough and go, I'd guess they'll last a long time in normal conditions!

Been looking at the super z spindle, looks like it might work with matching pulley? Need to research more.

M

Mtmellum

Hi All

narrowing my search and getting close to pulling the trigger on the Raptor SD.

need the forums opinion & knowledge on three things
1. engine guard price?
2. 48" vs 54". (I'm thinking 48" as I can get it in my 7 x 4 trailer for shifting between home and rental)

and finally the question that will get the most responses
3. why buy the Raptor SD (or not)?

thanks

T

Tta197

Hi All

1. engine guard price?
2. 48" vs 54". (I'm thinking 48" as I can get it in my 7 x 4 trailer for shifting between home and rental)

thanks

Get the 54". I had a 52" Raptor that I sold before I bought the 54" sd. I hated the small tires on the 52" Raptor along with how the deck was hung.
The 54" for extra $100 comes with bigger tires. I love how it handles on slopes.

K

Kremeneon

48 to 54 SD is quite an upgrade for $100, the tires also are why I did it (bought the SD 54).

The only downside is that the 54 sits so wide front and back that you only have about 2" of deck hanging out the left side for trim work. The 60" brings that trim reach back to a good value. when trimming I am paying as much attention to the rear tire as I am the front tire and deck lip. With better trim reach you can about ignore the rear tire.

J

JohnCardin

Hi All

1. engine guard price?

thanks
1. I paid $69 for the guard ($159 for mulching kit) the 54 looks a lot nicer with the rear guard. Just make sure you keep the throttle and choke cable from rubbing.

2. The front tires on the 54/60 are impressive and the 12" tires in the rear look nice too. But if all you can fit is the 48 then that seals your decision.

3. Kawasaki engine, serviceable hydrostatic. Nice construction. The sd is generally beefier that the regular raptor so I say that if you could swing the sd, then do. See if you can get them next to each other and you'll see the deck differences (construction and attachment) and the front frame constructions.

I also looked at Kubota but I didn't like the Kohler motor. I did like the 3100 hydros but those are overkill for my application. I didn't want green and I didn't look at the others. Big dog might be an option if you need a longer warranty.

M

Mtmellum

1. I paid $69 for the guard ($159 for mulching kit) the 54 looks a lot nicer with the rear guard. Just make sure you keep the throttle and choke cable from rubbing.

2. The front tires on the 54/60 are impressive and the 12" tires in the rear look nice too. But if all you can fit is the 48 then that seals your decision.

3. Kawasaki engine, serviceable hydrostatic. Nice construction. The sd is generally beefier that the regular raptor so I say that if you could swing the sd, then do. See if you can get them next to each other and you'll see the deck differences (construction and attachment) and the front frame constructions.

I also looked at Kubota but I didn't like the Kohler motor. I did like the 3100 hydros but those are overkill for my application. I didn't want green and I didn't look at the others. Big dog might be an option if you need a longer warranty.

Thanks John

M

Mtmellum

Get the 54". I had a 52" Raptor that I sold before I bought the 54" sd. I hated the small tires on the 52" Raptor along with how the deck was hung.
The 54" for extra $100 comes with bigger tires. I love how it handles on slopes.

Thank you!

M

Mtmellum

48 to 54 SD is quite an upgrade for $100, the tires also are why I did it (bought the SD 54).

The only downside is that the 54 sits so wide front and back that you only have about 2" of deck hanging out the left side for trim work. The 60" brings that trim reach back to a good value. when trimming I am paying as much attention to the rear tire as I am the front tire and deck lip. With better trim reach you can about ignore the rear tire.

Thanks for that!

1tondiesel

I bought the raptor sd 60 inch deck it's awesome. ..my question is the bagger system any good on these machines?

T

terbar

Anyone out there have a cross referance number for the drive belts on a 60'' sd ?

Y

Yankeezone25

Just pulled the trigger on a Raptor SD 54. Delivery in a couple weeks. Anyone have any tips on new ownership

L454S

L454S

Been using mine now for 2 years. Takes some time to get used to from regular riding mowers. Love the work it does, no buyers remorse here. Machine uses just under a gallon of fuel on an acre. I do find earplugs to make cutting a lot more comfortable.

Y

Yankeezone25

Thank you for the reply - been researching for awhile now and can't wait to actually use this thing

B

bertsmobile1

Anyone out there have a cross referance number for the drive belts on a 60'' sd ?

GO to one of the parts suppliers sites that have a parts look up and get the part number
Then go to the gates site below and plug in your belt part number.
This will give you the Gates equivalent belt and if you click on the Gates belt number you will get the specs of the belt.
Just remember that if there is a slipping clutch you must use a covered belt.
Mower belts have kevlar chords, standard belts have cotton / pollyester / rayon chords that are nowhere as strong
The web link script is not working so you will have to type this in with the w's at the front.
gates.com/all-search-tools/automotive-interchange-search-results

S

shanewoodsman

Any new word from anyone about the Hustler Raptor SD problem. After reading this thread I am a bit concerned. I owned a base Raptor 52 for about a year and hated it (other than the motor), and convinced Hustler to take it back. My only other choice at Lowes (I do like their extended warranty, and the way they pick it up and bring it back if problems arise - worth the convenience to me)..... anyway I was reading about these spring and belt issues. I paid for the remaining SD with last year's Kawasaki engine and they are set to deliver it next week, but since it is last year's model (I don't like the seat as much, but I like the engine better), it may still have this belt/spring issue some are having. I preferred the Ferris 700 series but passed on it because no local dealers that are worth a crap and if you purchase online you can forget local warranty coverage if it breaks.... so ordered the Raptor SD. Advice, please.

L454S

L454S

Wasn't that problem with the models that were being delivered a couple years ago? I know mine was one that was included, but it was taken care of before delivery. No problems with belts/pulleys etc.

S

shanewoodsman

Wasn't that problem with the models that were being delivered a couple years ago? I know mine was one that was included, but it was taken care of before delivery. No problems with belts/pulleys etc.

Good point! I have been researching and reading about mowers so long that the date of these postings escaped me! Sorry about that, just don't want to make a (2nd) wrong decision.... I had to go through so much to get them to take back the (base) Raptor - loved the engine, but pretty much didn't like everything else. The SD seems to be more in the line of what I expected the first time.... it should have occurred to me "you get what you pay for". I have been enjoying reading various threads here because there really are too many mower choices, and each has it's merits.

577jersey

I got an SD and have 20 hours on it..my only complaint would be #1 the muffler scorches the grass if you stop for longer than 30 seconds.
#2 the deck discharge opening needs to be bigger,Ill mod it after warranty runs out if I still have it.
#3 the deck lift brackets that go to the deck lift bolts seem a little light.

Mine has the FR engine...as long as you take it easy on rough lawns,get a muffler heat shield,and service the mower,it should last a long time.

Tom

S

shanewoodsman

All good points. I was never able to find any more SD's with Kawasaki engines (they all have Kohler engines on them now and I was not looking for a Kohler model), so I am now shopping again - looking at the Ferris mowers. Yes, if you do regular maintenance on the FR (that is what I had on my previous Hustler) it will run fine, for many years - I never modified my deck to stop the clumping of grass under it, but that sounds like a good idea. You could buy that Hustler rear shield to put over your muffler, but I didn't because I'd rather the heat escape as soon as it can - trapping heat is never a good idea, in my opinion. Hope you enjoy your Raptor SD.

577jersey

All good points. I was never able to find any more SD's with Kawasaki engines (they all have Kohler engines on them now and I was not looking for a Kohler model), so I am now shopping again - looking at the Ferris mowers. Yes, if you do regular maintenance on the FR (that is what I had on my previous Hustler) it will run fine, for many years - I never modified my deck to stop the clumping of grass under it, but that sounds like a good idea. You could buy that Hustler rear shield to put over your muffler, but I didn't because I'd rather the heat escape as soon as it can - trapping heat is never a good idea, in my opinion. Hope you enjoy your Raptor SD.
Thanks alot brother!!
Yeah I have a few nice lawns I do and seeing the browm marks really made me upset,,so I have to do something.
I see the factory shield blocks the heat from getting to the PTO and hydros also,,as long as the heat can blow out the sides strong enough it should be ok,,that flywheel really pushes alot of air!
I got lucky and my local dealer got a truck in with a few FR's a few weeks ago and I jumped on it fast :)