Export thread

Raptor or Raptor SD ?

G

Good 1 Brian

New here , looking at getting a zero turn mower for under $4,000 , I have about 1 acre mostly flat looking at the 42" Raptor and Raptor SD
I will not be putting a lot of hours on the mower , the upgrade on the Raptor SD that stand out to me

1) Motor : Kohler 7000 vs Kohler Pro Performance 7000
2) Transmission : HydroGear EZT vs HydroGear 2800 this one needs to be service filter and fluid change is it worth the extra maintenance ? The HrdroGear EZT is a sealed unit no extra maintenance
3) Deck height : 4.1" vs 4.5
4) Blade Speed 16,700 fpm vs 18,600 fpm
5) Seat : SD has better seat with arm rest

Price different between the two $2.800 vs $3,800 is it worth $1,000 for the SD :confused3:

The other one that I also looked at Toro 42" MX4250 $3,600

Any opinions on the three or suggestion on a different make/model in this price range :anyone:

RhettWS

RhettWS

Welcome to the forum,

I purchased the SD a little over a month ago and I like it just fine. I did not look at the standard raptor because I wanted hydros that I could service. There are some other differences as you pointed out but that was the big one for me so I did not consider any unit that had the EZT hydros although I suspect they will last a long time.

Good luck .......... Rhett

Ric

Ric

New here , looking at getting a zero turn mower for under $4,000 , I have about 1 acre mostly flat looking at the 42" Raptor and Raptor SD
I will not be putting a lot of hours on the mower , the upgrade on the Raptor SD that stand out to me

2) Transmission : HydroGear EZT vs HydroGear 2800 this one needs to be service filter and fluid change is it worth the extra maintenance ? The HrdroGear EZT is a sealed unit no extra maintenance

Price different between the two $2.800 vs $3,800 is it worth $1,000 for the SD :confused3:

Any opinions on the three or suggestion on a different make/model in this price range :anyone:

The SD will be a little better mower. The drives are Hydro gears largest residential drives and are more suited to larger property's than the EZT and are worth the extra cost. The ezt drives are 10cc pumps and motor while the 2800 is 10 cc pump and 16cc motor. your spindles are all sealed on the sd so you don't have to worry about maintenance on them and your spindle reinforcement/ top plates are 7ga. not the light 14ga which makes the SD a little more heavy duty.. The faster blade speed is also a plus. Personally with $4000 to spend you may want to consider looking on criaglist for a low hour commercial mower. You could end up with twice the mower for the same money.

R

Rob45679

I had the same decision last April. Ended up going with the 42". Have a little under an acre. Fairly flat and a little bumpy. Took me 2 hrs to push mow and trim. Now I can get it done in or under an hour. Was going to buy the armrest kit. Quickly decided I didn't need them with the size of my lawn. Only thing I added was the mulch kit. Put 32 hours on it. From April to October. Very happy with the decision. Glad I saved the extra grand.

G

Good 1 Brian

The SD will be a little better mower. The drives are Hydro gears largest residential drives and are more suited to larger property's than the EZT and are worth the extra cost. The ezt drives are 10cc pumps and motor while the 2800 is 10 cc pump and 16cc motor. your spindles are all sealed on the sd so you don't have to worry about maintenance on them and your spindle reinforcement/ top plates are 7ga. not the light 14ga which makes the SD a little more heavy duty.. The faster blade speed is also a plus. Personally with $4000 to spend you may want to consider looking on criaglist for a low hour commercial mower. You could end up with twice the mower for the same money.

Thanks Ric for your help on the drives
Agree about craigslist what I find used on craigslist for what I'm willing to spent mowers that are overkill for my needs plus I'm 66 and this should be my last mower and having a 3 year warranty with a good local dealer that I trust reason for me to buy new

G

Good 1 Brian

I had the same decision last April. Ended up going with the 42". Have a little under an acre. Fairly flat and a little bumpy. Took me 2 hrs to push mow and trim. Now I can get it done in or under an hour. Was going to buy the armrest kit. Quickly decided I didn't need them with the size of my lawn. Only thing I added was the mulch kit. Put 32 hours on it. From April to October. Very happy with the decision. Glad I saved the extra grand.

Thanks Rob45679 for you reply , also looking at the 42" and adding the mulch kit
Do you have any issues with the mulch kit clogging , need to drive at a slower speed after adding the mulch kit and before using the mulch kit could you cut the grass if it was somewhat wet like in the morning with a lite dew on it ?

G

Good 1 Brian

Welcome to the forum,

I purchased the SD a little over a month ago and I like it just fine. I did not look at the standard raptor because I wanted hydros that I could service. There are some other differences as you pointed out but that was the big one for me so I did not consider any unit that had the EZT hydros although I suspect they will last a long time.

Good luck .......... Rhett

Thanks for your reply RhettWS
The more I'm looking into it the up grade in the drive may be worth it and I would think the faster cutting speed is a plus .

B

bertsmobile1

Thanks Ric for your help on the drives
Agree about craigslist what I find used on craigslist for what I'm willing to spent mowers that are overkill for my needs plus I'm 66 and this should be my last mower and having a 3 year warranty with a good local dealer that I trust reason for me to buy new

Hope you are intending to live well past 69 :wink:
One or two of my 90+ year old customers might argue you on the last mower point as well.

R

Rob45679

Thanks Rob45679 for you reply , also looking at the 42" and adding the mulch kit
Do you have any issues with the mulch kit clogging , need to drive at a slower speed after adding the mulch kit and before using the mulch kit could you cut the grass if it was somewhat wet like in the morning with a lite dew on it ?
Clippings do get built up under the deck a lot faster with the mulch kit when the lawn is wet. Never changed my driving style. Last spring I mowed 4 times before I put the mulch kit on. There was a fair amount of clippings to clean out before the mulch kit. My lawn also has a good amount of clover that helps contribute to the build up. The harbor freight mower lift helped with that chore.

Ric

Ric

I'd forget the mulch kit and just pick up a set of G3 Gator blades. That will decrease the amount of clipping you'll have and there a bit better when cutting wet grass. Besides that there probably cheaper than a mulch kit.

G

Good 1 Brian

I'd forget the mulch kit and just pick up a set of G3 Gator blades. That will decrease the amount of clipping you'll have and there a bit better when cutting wet grass. Besides that there probably cheaper than a mulch kit.

Ric I seen an old post from you and you said about the blade speed should be ( 18000 to 19,000 BTS ) the Raptor 42" SD is listed at 18,400fpm also the deck is 4 1/2" so the G3 Gator blades should work

I read that someone posted there mower had the wrong size belt pulley on from the factory causing the blades to run slower
to the point he traded the mower in but found out later about the pulley being wrong it was also a Hustler Raptor mower :mur:

:anyone: know how they check the blade speed and something a dealer should be able to check ??

G

Good 1 Brian

Hope you are intending to live well past 69 :wink:
One or two of my 90+ year old customers might argue you on the last mower point as well.

I hope so :laughing: the reason about being my last mower the one that I have now is 15+ years old Yardman (MTD) 22hp 46" cut and it still works and only had to replace 2 belts cost around $900 new

B

bertsmobile1

Bad news on that front.
Every year ride ons get cheaper & cheaper.
Thus the profit margins get smaller & smaller
So the quality and longevity gowes down and down and down again

They don't build them like that anymore is true in more ways than one.
Domestic ride ons have a design service life of 500 hours
About 1/3 of the design life of your old Yardman.

Ric

Ric

Ric I seen an old post from you and you said about the blade speed should be ( 18000 to 19,000 BTS ) the Raptor 42" SD is listed at 18,400fpm also the deck is 4 1/2" so the G3 Gator blades should work

I read that someone posted there mower had the wrong size belt pulley on from the factory causing the blades to run slower
to the point he traded the mower in but found out later about the pulley being wrong it was also a Hustler Raptor mower :mur:

:anyone: know how they check the blade speed and something a dealer should be able to check ??

Anything above 18000 BTS and the G3 works well. I ran a similar set up on a Cub Cadet Z Force 48" with the same BTS, the same 2800 drive etc. and they worked well for me. In fact the 48" was a fabricated deck and the 44" was a stamped deck and they work well on both style decks.

I'm running the G6 commercial blades on the Toro Z Master and Grandstand and I wouldn't run anything else. Hustler makes one of the best mowers on the market, just service the mower every 50 hours and the drives according to the manual it will last you a long forever.

Ric

Ric

Bad news on that front. Every year ride ons get cheaper & cheaper. Thus the profit margins get smaller & smaller So the quality and longevity goes down and down and down again. They don't build them like that anymore is true in more ways than one. Domestic ride on mowers have a design service life of 500 hours. About 1/3 of the design life of your old Yardman.

The life span of a lawnmower depends on a lot of different factors. Like How it's run and if it's used properly or not. How often it's run and how well it's maintained. In many cases and ways mowers today are built far better than than they used to be.

G

Good 1 Brian

The life span of a lawnmower depends on a lot of different factors. Like How it's run and if it's used properly or not. How often it's run and how well it's maintained. In many cases and ways mowers today are built far better than than they used to be.

I got to admit didn't do a lot of maintenance on my yardman :ashamed: very busy time in my life now things are different and planning on taking good care of my next mower which will probably be the Raptor SD 42" or Toro MX 4250

G

gatorblade

I have a HustlerZ 60", so when my sis needed a mower I suggested a smaller Hustler. With my help she got the Raptor. Knew right away should have got the SD. You had to un-bolt the seat to adjust. Deck jumps up 2" when enguaged. Rides rough but it's residental when mine is commercial, huge difference. Dealer said to try the gatorblades and deck block for mulching. Not good for leaves, need also the metal under the deck seperating the blade compartments.

B

bertsmobile1

Are you taking too many meds or something ?
Built better ?
No bushes on control shafts where they bear against each other or the body
No tie rod ends on steering linkages.
No bushes on steering linkages.
Light duty (6200 series) deep ball races on spindles in place of high duty ones ( 6300 series) or better still tapered rollers.
Non serviceable ball races on wheels in place of tapered rollers
No grease nipple on caster housings.
Cast alloy spindle housing in place of fabricated steel ones
Plastic idler pulleys that add heat to belts rather than take heat out of the belt
Spot welds in place of seam welds
Pressed decks with no drainage holes so they rust out is a few seasons if you don't keep them dry.
Thinner steel used every where
Direction controls with no adjustment on the hydro's in place of separate forward , reverse and max travel adjustments.
And I haven't even started on engines.
Lots more power, at the cost of sacrificed reliability and longevity.

You obviously get your jollies by looking a spec sheets and running numbers and doing comparisons, nothing wrong with that
And you are looking mostly at commercial mowers which mostly are built to a substantially higher standard than domestic mowers

I actually get under them to fix all the problems that don't appear on the spec sheets.

Customers come in with 20 to 30 year old mowers and all I do is change the consumables and the occasion bush, belt or pulley.
Customers come in with 3 year old mowers with the deck dragging on the ground because all the lift linkages are flogged out oval
Done 2 mowers 18 months old with the lift arms fractured through because the mower hangs on 3 arms with no stabilizer so it shakes left right till the arms fracture.
The lift arms are welded to a rod which simply passes through a hole in what passes for a chassis with no bush, no way of lubing it without turning it upside down and no way of replacing the lift rod.
Lst time I had to do this repair was on a JD 242, a residential mower, being used commercially for 5 years so no complaints about that one fracturing but even that had grease points for the lift arm which is accessible.

Then we have springs locking into holes that end up cutting a groove through the bodywork till they fall out.
Not a big cost to do a spot hardening on the material for 0.020" to 0.040" so the anchor point is stronger than the replaceable item , the spring.
And this applies to almost every mechanical PTO fitted to all modern mowers ZTR & tractor right across all brands that we get down here.

This all gets covered up by ever increasing power to cut ratios so the mug in the drivers seat thinks it was money well spent.
Way back in the side valve days mowers had a power to cut ratio of about 4 or 4" per horsepower.
Now days with the "better" engines we have all OHV and fuel efficient it has come down to 2.5 and there is even a Chinese temporary landfill mower with a 21 Hp engine on a 36" deck or 1.7.

My 1966 Cox 8hp 32" will happily ( a bit slowly) chug its way through 4' tall grass
Put anything modern through the same grass and the deck chokes, no matter how slow or high you set the cut.
I test each and every mower than passes through the shop so have a real bum on the seat comparison, between whatever my customers bring in and that is apart from what I see underneath.
SO no Rick you are 100% wrong they get cheaper & nastier each and every year and if you put your brain to work it will become blatantly apparent they you can not make a better product cheaper each & every year.

Do you do a better quality of service each year and reduce the price you charge your customers ?
SO if you can not do it with the aid of all by your faster, better cheaper equipment what makes you think a factory can do the same making the gear you are using ?

Ric

Ric

Are you taking too many meds or something ?
Built better

As a matter of fact I think I do take to many meds. The Doctor has got me on Simvastatin, Metoprolol, Lisinopril, Aspirin, Vitamin D and a few others which I wont put down and it's a bummer. and Yes I do believe In many cases and ways mowers today are built far better than than they used to be. I think we discussed this thing about you responding with a complete book instead of a post before. If I want to read a post that long I'll get a book off amazon and read one and BTW Richard Engel has a good book out it's called And Then All Hell Broke Loose. It's about two decades in the middle east, it's a good read you should get a copy.

G

Good 1 Brian

First want to thank everyone for there reply on this thread also to this site Lawn World :thumbsup:

This whole thing on getting a zero turn mower started a few weeks ago when I was at Home Depot looking at the Toro zero turn mower , not wanting to by from a box store I looked for a local Toro dealer just happen he also sold the Hustler brand. I knew nothing about zero turn mower manufacturers so I started my research , again this site was a big help !

Well I found out there's a lot of good manufacturers !
Today I place my order for a 42" Hustler Raptor SD

My reasoning for selecting the 42" Raptor SD are - first and very important to me a good local dealer , 42" ideal size for my property lay out , upgrade transmission and motor over the standard Raptor , the blade speed 18,600

The one thing different about the 2016 Raptor SD the Kawasaki engine was replaced by the Kohler 7000 Pro Performance engine
is that a :thumbsup: or :thumbdown: or not that big of deal :confused2:???

Ric

Ric

First want to thank everyone for there reply on this thread also to this site Lawn World :thumbsup:

This whole thing on getting a zero turn mower started a few weeks ago when I was at Home Depot looking at the Toro zero turn mower , not wanting to by from a box store I looked for a local Toro dealer just happen he also sold the Hustler brand. I knew nothing about zero turn mower manufacturers so I started my research , again this site was a big help !

Well I found out there's a lot of good manufacturers !
Today I place my order for a 42" Hustler Raptor SD

My reasoning for selecting the 42" Raptor SD are - first and very important to me a good local dealer , 42" ideal size for my property lay out , upgrade transmission and motor over the standard Raptor , the blade speed 18,600

The one thing different about the 2016 Raptor SD the Kawasaki engine was replaced by the Kohler 7000 Pro Performance engine
is that a :thumbsup: or :thumbdown: or not that big of deal :confused2:?

Kohler makes a good engine. The 7000 series is their newer engine and if it's a big deal or not really would depend on the individual buying the mower and if there a Kawasaki fan or not. If I'm not mistaken they were running the FR Kawasaki to start with and it was the bottom end motor for Kawasaki so I would think the Pro series Kohler would be IMO a better engine.
I ran the two Professional series Kohler Courage engines on the cub cadet Z force mower for years on essentially the same set up as your buying and never had any issues at all with the engines and they were ran six days a week when we started the business. I now run the Toro mowers and use the Kawasaki FS and FX engines and they also have been great engines. Change the oil according to the manual and use what it says and you'll never have any issues.

G

Good 1 Brian

Kohler makes a good engine. The 7000 series is their newer engine and if it's a big deal or not really would depend on the individual buying the mower and if there a Kawasaki fan or not. If I'm not mistaken they were running the FR Kawasaki to start with and it was the bottom end motor for Kawasaki so I would think the Pro series Kohler would be IMO a better engine.
I ran the two Professional series Kohler Courage engines on the cub cadet Z force mower for years on essentially the same set up as your buying and never had any issues at all with the engines and they were ran six days a week when we started the business. I now run the Toro mowers and use the Kawasaki FS and FX engines and they also have been great engines. Change the oil according to the manual and use what it says and you'll never have any issues.

Correct on the FR Kawasaki , if Kawasaki had a weak link in there engine line up from the googling I did the FR Kawasaki engine would be the one I'm not saying that it's a bad engine just at the enter level of the Kawasaki engine .
I have know problem getting the Raptor SD with a Kohler 7000 Pro Series and if it had the FR Kawasaki would not make a different to me
Like you said do maintenance as per the manual

chemingthroughtheleather

chemingthroughtheleather

Love my Raptor SD 54",getting ready to break it out for the cutting season.I cut approx 2 acres and this mower seems ideal for my needs.All I need is a re-adjustment of my steering levers.

mhavanti

mhavanti

I bought a SD60 February '14 and haven't had any problems. I run it like I stole it and do an acre in less than half the time I did with the 42inch cut riding mower. The upper level seat, worth it. The engine guard, worth it, the extra wide tires front and rear, worth it and there are a few other things, worth it. Spend the money and you'll be happy.

There are two commercials on the block. Both are 54" Z ones I think it is. They have faster ground speed, seats suck, blade adjustment is easier and much faster, but, using a stop watch, my SD60 cuts either of the three yards in less time than the two commercials. I learned a valuable lesson from swapping lawns for time test. Bringing their weeds into my yardwWasn't really worth the experiment to decide who can cut the fastest.

My suggestion to all the upgrade blade suggestions is: forget them and run the dickens out of the mower and use the blade speed for all its worth. No offense meant to folks pushing the blades.

If you break it, fix it and keep on truckin'!

S

Shughes717

As a matter of fact I think I do take to many meds. The Doctor has got me on Simvastatin, Metoprolol, Lisinopril, Aspirin, Vitamin D and a few others which I wont put down and it's a bummer. and Yes I do believe In many cases and ways mowers today are built far better than than they used to be. I think we discussed this thing about you responding with a complete book instead of a post before. If I want to read a post that long I'll get a book off amazon and read one and BTW Richard Engel has a good book out it's called And Then All Hell Broke Loose. It's about two decades in the middle east, it's a good read you should get a copy.

Haha! Great reply. I have missed some of these heated discussions. Wish I had a high five emoji.:thumbsup:

mhavanti

mhavanti

SHughes, my name is Hughes as well. My post isn't meant as inflammatory. lol

S

Shughes717

SHughes, my name is Hughes as well. My post isn't meant as inflammatory. lol

Glad to meet another Hughes. We seem to be everywhere. Lol

S

shanewoodsman

I have a HustlerZ 60", so when my sis needed a mower I suggested a smaller Hustler. With my help she got the Raptor. Knew right away should have got the SD. You had to un-bolt the seat to adjust. Deck jumps up 2" when enguaged. Rides rough but it's residental when mine is commercial, huge difference. Dealer said to try the gatorblades and deck block for mulching. Not good for leaves, need also the metal under the deck seperating the blade compartments.

I was reading the Raptor vs Raptor SD topic and I really enjoyed your comment. I went to Lowes last year and was "undersold" (I didn't realize it at the time) a base Raptor, and other than the Kawasaki engine (that ran perfect), I hated the mower. Rough ride, lousy seat, noisy (thin) vibrating deck and spindles. I tried everything I could to live with it (suspension seat bracket, flex forks - they don't tell you they don't flex on the Raptor because the mower is too light - at least in my case, they never moved at all), but Hustler eventually got sick of my questions/complaints and told me to take it back through Lowes (I had it less than a year and probably didn't put 40 hours on it total. I didn't expect the offer of a return, but was thrilled, and now I am about to take delivery of the SD 60" (the best Hustler that Lowe's sells, because I'd even like to get the Fastrak model), but now I have two issues - 2015 vs 2016 models (it seems the 2015 had a better engine, but I like the 2016 seat better), and Hustler itself (I am wondering if they are not going to honor the new warranty on the SD since they helped me so much by taking back the other Raptor, and they said they didn't want me to get another Raptor, but in my experience the SD is so much better). What do you think of the 2015 vs 2016 thing? It seems unprofessional that their customer service won't respond to any of my messages since they took the Raptor back, but does anyone else out there have feedback on Hustler customer service? Do you think I can get fair treatment with them on the SD, or should I move to another brand?

mhavanti

mhavanti

Only difference between the seats is the material covering on the SD60. I really enjoy my 2015 model I picked up in 14.

I do like the Kawasaki engine over the Honda and Kohler and as far as I can tell, it has been a good purchase.

Purchase Lowe's 3 year extended warranty. Our local dealer swore up and down there is no extended warranty from Hustler, however, after I purchased the unit and had it a couple of months, I found out Hustler does offer the warranty, however, you have to purchase it at the time of purchase of the unit. No exceptions was what Hustler told me, no matter what their dealers tells you.

I can pretty much say you're gonna love the big ole SD60 other than it is a lot of mower deck if you have any tight spots or where two angle merge together. It will leave scalp cuts on one side or the other unless you have enough area to keep from having to straddle the lower part of the V at the bottom of the two angles. Other than that, I enjoy mine.

Again, I say, purchase it, service it and run it like you stole it.

If it breaks, fix it.

G

Good 1 Brian

Purchase Lowe's 3 year extended warranty. Our local dealer swore up and down there is no extended warranty from Hustler, however, after I purchased the unit and had it a couple of months, I found out Hustler does offer the warranty, however, you have to purchase it at the time of purchase of the unit. No exceptions was what Hustler told me, no matter what their dealers tells you.

I was told the factory warranty is three years on the mower but only two years on the motor , what is covered on the extended warranty ?

D

DK35vince

I was reading the Raptor vs Raptor SD topic and I really enjoyed your comment. I went to Lowes last year and was "undersold" (I didn't realize it at the time) a base Raptor, and other than the Kawasaki engine (that ran perfect), I hated the mower. Rough ride, lousy seat, noisy (thin) vibrating deck and spindles. I tried everything I could to live with it (suspension seat bracket, flex forks - they don't tell you they don't flex on the Raptor because the mower is too light - at least in my case, they never moved at all), but Hustler eventually got sick of my questions/complaints and told me to take it back through Lowes (I had it less than a year and probably didn't put 40 hours on it total. I didn't expect the offer of a return, but was thrilled, and now I am about to take delivery of the SD 60" (the best Hustler that Lowe's sells, because I'd even like to get the Fastrak model), but now I have two issues - 2015 vs 2016 models (it seems the 2015 had a better engine, but I like the 2016 seat better), and Hustler itself (I am wondering if they are not going to honor the new warranty on the SD since they helped me so much by taking back the other Raptor, and they said they didn't want me to get another Raptor, but in my experience the SD is so much better). What do you think of the 2015 vs 2016 thing? It seems unprofessional that their customer service won't respond to any of my messages since they took the Raptor back, but does anyone else out there have feedback on Hustler customer service? Do you think I can get fair treatment with them on the SD, or should I move to another brand?
If you disliked the Raptor that much I doubt the SD model will be different enough from the base model to make you happy.
Look elsewhere IMO.

S

shanewoodsman

If you disliked the Raptor that much I doubt the SD model will be different enough from the base model to make you happy.
Look elsewhere IMO.

Yes, you have a good point! I think that is what Hustler was thinking when they told me that. The only reasons I was thinking of trying the SD is that most of the things on the Raptor (that I don't like) are different on the SD - the deck (heavier) and spindle design, the front wheels (bigger), and the seat (more springs, more padding). I really should get a low-end commercial but the local Hustler dealer is not an option (he didn't want my business because I purchased a Lowe's Hustler - didn't see me as his type of customer, and he was obviously getting annoyed because I was asking him questions about the mowers he sells). It is either the SD from Lowes, or another brand elsewhere (I don't see any other mower at Lowes that peaks my interest at all). Thanks for the advice! If I do take delivery of it, as another poster said, I have to decide on the extended warranty (some comments here are positive, but others online say it is a gimmick).

mhavanti

mhavanti

I purchased mine from the local dealer and his prices are not negotiable. I paid full song for my SD60 and held out for a deck washout installed. Not a big deal because we know they won't actually do anything.

The Raptor has standard size tires front and rear where the SD has the widest available front and rear. Really saves on your lawn disturbances and how much swamp you may need to float over after a long rain.

If you're going to purchase from Lowes, the extended warranty will get you a replacement rather than a dozen repairs from what I understand. I do a lot of extended warranties and so far, I'm way ahead of the game overall.

I was a dealer for many many decades and as Bert and several other current dealers will tell you, there are good dealers and not so good. Some are very cantankerous and feel you are wasting their valuable winter time when they could be sleeping. Instead of being very attentive to every person walking thru their doors as possible clients, some seem to rather nap all winter.

As I always say, run it like you stole it.

If you break it, fix it.

Good luck in your decision and hope it works out.