Question on charging battery then when startign it backfires first?

ranger1850

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Question on charging battery then when startign it backfires first?
I am not sure why, but battery needs to be charged before I use tractor. I charge it for hr and it will start. My question deals with backfiring after doing this. Any idea why this is happening. The tractor is fine afterwards, if I have to stop then restart, its fine. Hope someone can give tip or suggestion. The battery is 2 or 3 years old.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Question on charging battery then when startign it backfires first?
I am not sure why, but battery needs to be charged before I use tractor. I charge it for hr and it will start. My question deals with backfiring after doing this. Any idea why this is happening. The tractor is fine afterwards, if I have to stop then restart, its fine. Hope someone can give tip or suggestion. The battery is 2 or 3 years old.
Battery problem - Cleaning - First make sure the battery lead terminals are bright lead and not dull hard lead oxide color and the wire end connectors are bright copper color.

Using a volt meter, check the battery voltage across the posts before attempting to start the tractor. After starting check the voltage across the two battery posts again with the engine running at high idle rpm . It should read somewhere around 13 volts or more . If not there is a real possibility there is a problem with the charging circuit . If the voltage is 13+ it is an indication of the battery possibly failing . A battery load test at a reputable auto store will often indicate the battery condition .

Backfiring problem - not really relevant to the battery problem and can be caused by so many things the number is nearly infinite.

Last edited: