Question for you JD service guys

GMJim

Threads
Or somebody that knows the answer. I'm an auto mechanic not familiar with JD tractor transmissions. The service manual on my S240 says starting the engine with the bypass engagement rod (back of the machine) in the disengaged position can damage the transmission. What is the issue with this? Secondly the manual says the Kawasaki engine takes 1.8 Qts. of oil. I needed to put two in to get to the full mark. I could call the dealer I bought it from to get answers but figured I'd get a better explanation here.
Thanks
Jim

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not a JD guy, but I’ll try to answer your two questions. First, Kawasaki FS600V engines hold 2 L or 2.1Qt when unit is completely dry. This will include filter. Second, your best bet is to start the engine will the tranny engaged so that there is some back pressure on the piston if belt starts spinning the pulley instantly on startup. Better answer, CYA by tranny manufacturer.

GMJim

Threads
Page 26 of the Kawasaki FS600V manual says 1.7 liters or 1.8 U.S. qts. when oil filter is removed. The stick shows full with 2 qts. Not a big deal. I do a lot of cars and oil capacity isn't always correct in the owners manual. Yeah the CYA angle is probably right but wondering if the bypass is open why would this damage anything unless you push the bypass in while it's running? It would seem the JD manual and the Kawi manual disagree on more than a few things. One more thing I can't find in the manual is the flashing maintenance indicator in the hour meter. How do you reset it?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It can vary from the 1.8 qts to 2.1 qts depending how well drained the engine is and the engine positioning.